Roman: "Turn...Around..."

Liquidstoke

Banned
Banned
As always a great breakdown by Ro-- his point at the 5:00 mark is THE ACHILLES HEEL OF OUR DEFENSE:

Are our CB/SF completely incapable of running with their heads turned?

Did they all get spinal fusion in their necks without anyone knowing about it?

Why the **** can other team's CB's run with their heads turned around and ours are not capable?

At least 2 TD's and 5 catches by NC could have been prevented if our CB's could swivel that thing called a neck while running with the WR...

Advertisement
Good corners read the WR to know when the ball is coming and when to should turn their heads. Our guys never know the ball is coming their way until it's already in the WRs hands. I would think that is something Rumph would be teaching them.

Also I love the end of the video with the kicked lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
How many years have we been complaining about this?

No matter who they bring in, it’s the same problem.

The common denominator is Rumph. Players take on the personality of their coaches. Rumph lacks confidence. It shows on the recruiting trail and in the way his unit plays.

They don’t trust themselves enough to take their eye off the receivers and break on the ball aggressively the way you see other teams with corners of similar ability. They play decent most of the time overall but, they play scared because that is the way they are coached. Terrified to give up a big play.

Every now and then it falls apart. We need more Saturday night. We need it more than ever. The coverage needs to be tight. Can't be chasing forever. Rumph's got to get it right. We keep getting it wrong. . .

Together we can press them right off of the line. Our cbs should shadow them all of the ti . . i..ime

Advertisement
As always a great breakdown by Ro-- his point at the 5:00 mark is THE ACHILLES HEEL OF OUR DEFENSE:

Why the **** can other team's CB's run with their heads turned around and ours are not capable?

At least 2 TD's and 5 catches by NC could have been prevented if our CB's could swivel that thing called a neck while running with the WR...

**** not just prevent catches, there have been fairly straightforward INTs for the taking if they'd turn around on occasion

Could it be something as simple as the corner backs are not fast enough. You can run much faster if your head is looking forward so perhaps that is their handicap their speed to catch up or stay with a receiver
I don't know about that. In a lot of those situations, they couldn't be in better position to make a play on the ball. They just can't see the damned thing.

A few years back I saw Rumph discussing that he teaches the CBs to look at the receiver and to rake the ball out when it lands in their hands. I thought it seemed crazy not to teach them look for the ball, but figured I just didn’t know anything CB techniques. If anybody finds the video please post.
Thing is, that only works if the receiver is telegraphing where the ball is in the air. Top receivers in college and virtually everyone at the NFL level knows how to disguise that and go after the ball when its too late for the CB to swipe at it.

Also, if the ball is under thrown or off target, you're going to run into the receiver as he adjusts to the ball...because obviously you have no clue where it is...you're watching him. Looking back at the ball leaves nothing to chance. It just requires more effort and discipline. I hate the way they play the deep ball. It really sucks and exposes them very badly. None of these guys are ready for prime time at the next level. Not one.

"Miami keeps constantly getting victimized in the underneath coverage" simply translates to Baker is ***!

Advertisement
"Miami keeps constantly getting victimized in the underneath coverage" simply translates to Baker is ***!

I don't have a clear opinion on the coaching staff yet....

But what is CRYSTAL CLEAR is that the team still lacks TALENT across the board...

90% of our current starters wouldn't crack the starting line-up for the legit Top 10 teams....

(psst....we ain't a legit Top 10 team in a non-covid season....truth hurts)

Until we have real talent, it's too big a leap to just put that on coaching....

It's like blaming the jockey he's not whipping the horses hard enough for not running faster....

I don't have a clear opinion on the coaching staff yet....

But what is CRYSTAL CLEAR is that the team still lacks TALENT across the board...

90% of our current starters wouldn't crack the starting line-up for the legit Top 10 teams....

(psst....we ain't a legit Top 10 team in a non-covid season....truth hurts)

Until we have real talent, it's too big a leap to just put that on coaching....

It's like blaming the jockey he's not whipping the horses hard enough for not running faster....
So you think its possible we're just getting the most out of the crappy talent we have? I disagree.

How in the world can you look at QB, TE, RB, DE, DT and say we lack talent across the board? The team lacks talent in certain areas, not across the board. Offensive line. Substandard talent, solid coaching. They're overachieving if you ask me. DLine. Talented, but lack the difference making ability a well coached unit would have. Their effectiveness comes down to measurables combined with if they want to put in the effort on that down or not.

We're a perennial 'under developer' of talent. There's a long fossil record to support the data now.

Advertisement
As soon as he said that, I remembered the line from Bonnie Tylers "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

Which pretty much summed up my mood during the game whenever we lined up on defense.

That’s all on Rumph

It’s a technique they teach. To swipe at the player rather than turning to play the ball

It’s trash and another reason Rumph should be fired
It's not just Rumph but it's any credible DB coach. They trained if you're trailing the receiver to "catch up" and swipe at the ball or do what they can to disrupt the play. If you're "in phase" or even with the receiver, to turn you're head when the receiver make a play for the ball.

Now that clip at the 5:00 Blades was in position to turn and make a play. But the question I have is, for most of these why are our DBs always trailing the receiver? We're mostly playing off the receiver giving the WR a free release from the line or scrimmage and are blowing past the DBs we are flat footed.

Last edited:
This is the technique Rumph is teaching. Turn away if you're squeamish.

chafie_fields.jpg

Advertisement
Back