Role of the AD?

Bizzyrg

Recruit
Can anyone provide a solid explanation of what the role of an AD is? After a small amount of digging I see they manage the scheduling of games, travel and facilities but the main role appears to be managing finances. I am sure there is more but is this the bulk of the work? And if so wouldn't the idea candidate be someone with a finance background that loves sports/the university?

Advertisement
My first assumption is they direct athletics.

In response to your finance suggestion, I think we should hire one of the 100s of ambulance chasing lawyers that advertise on TV. We offer a contract that they only get paid when we win.

Not an everyday duty but they are responsible for hiring and firing coaches. Overall Miami sports are a sh it show under his watch

Advertisement
To solicit donations from wealthy globohomo donors to ensure that no heterosexual male-dominated sports never thrive at the university.

Hetero-normative sports culture is the US is toxic and needs to be eliminated slowly and shamefully.
3D2BBAA9-1B45-4151-8B2F-A2E56C779033.jpeg

The duties of the AD probably vary by the background of the AD. He (or she) likely has budget responsibility but this doesn’t mean they have a financial background. Barry Alvarez is (or was) AD at Wisconsin after he retired from coaching. He doesn’t have a finance background, clearly. The AD has a staff of those types. Budget responsibility includes fundraising.

The AD hires/fires head coaches as part of their being Chief Athletics Officer (making up a title).

The goals of the athletic department, per sport, are determined by the AD, President/Chancellor, and the BOT. Some schools are known for certain sports, and focus on those. Duke is an elite basketball power, not in football. Alabama is a football power, and competitive in basketball.

Ideally, you’d want someone with a sports organization background familiar with how universities operate. They may not have played, at least not at a high level. Or maybe they did. Not a requirement, to be honest.

At least this is how I view the job.

Advertisement
Back