Rogers Is In The Portal

Nope. Wrong. Completely wrong.

Lots of people (like you) setting up false standards because you have already formed opinions on Mario ("wasn't tough enough") is just ridiculous.

You need to take off your Mario-hate-tinted glasses and acknowledge that whiny parents would pose a distraction at ANY program. And admit that Mario learned his craft at a program (Alabama) and that we aspire to be like other programs (Alabama) that would not tolerate that kind of parental whininess. It doesn't suddenly become a valid form of parental participation simply because your university loses 7 games in a season.

As for "not tough enough", that's just nonsense. Look at the things that Saban (or even People's Hero Leach) commented on when the press asked them about it. Remember Saban commenting on "rat poison". Doesn't mean that Saban wasn't "tough enough". Coaches can choose to comment on things and send messages on things whenever they believe that something is getting out of hand. Doesn't mean that they have to be "tough enough" to remain quiet while parents start to act like this is Pop Warner all over again.

There were a LOT of problems with players, and parents, and habits, and actions this past year. People like you only see the tip of the iceberg. What a joke, to compare parents PUBLICLY complaining about playing time to a bunch of anonymous internet posters complaining about uniform colors. Ridiculous.

Are you new to sports? Ever play any? Ever been a coach? ****, I lost my first game (in 4 years) as a coach this past year to a team we beat the brakes off of prior and guess what, whiny parents exist even when you win all the **** time. How you deal with them is another matter. Once you've tried to deal with parental issues, tried again, then it's just noise at that point. You parent, I'll coach. You look a fool when they suck you in.

It's funny you chose to list as an example of message board posters complaining about uniform colors as your cited example.

When your season is falling apart and you're taking shots from everywhere, I'm not surprised Mario cracked. Go on an defend your boy though in an indefensible season. He's just another coach to me, hope he kills it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Advertisement
Yeah, @SayWhat should SayNothing.

EDIT: I will also say, it breaks my heart. I want every UM student (and eventual alum) to succeed in life, including the football players who may not stay a full 4 or 5 years. But whether a bright student burns out from drinking too much every single night, or a talented football player derails himself with terrible behavior and work habits, not everyone will reach the finish line. Imagine if we blamed all the professors for "failing to reach all their students", just because a fraction of the student body at EVERY UNIVERSITY fails to grow up and become responsible adults. Ridiculous.

Oh boy, good example. Profs that spend a few hours a week in front of 15 plus whatever in a classroom compared to a coaching staff that spends countless hours over the course of years. The rest, you took a dive off the board into a pool without water.

I want everyone to succeed in life. The difference, not just here. It's okay if they fail the one day we face them on the field, hardwood, court, in a pool, or whatever though. A lot of success depends on who is leading them and when you're getting millions to do so, the expectations are slightly more demanding.

Yes, but it was the HC, Cristobal, who had to give the final say & reassurance that his commitment would be honored.

Regardless, his father popped off b/c he didn’t see his son on the field like the other freshmen, although the game plan was for him to redshirt this yr to make sure he came back 100% healthy. In this day & age, it’s completely damned if u do, damned if u don’t. Board was up in arms when TVD came back too early. Board ?’d why Chaney would even consider playing being that season was lost, & he had a major injury. Now, what if Mario played Rogers this yr coming off an ACL injury & re-injured it? Guess what his pops would’ve been saying?

In any case, I’m tired of parents chirping at this program. It’s best for both parties to go their separate ways, & add this to my long list of jits I won’t be rooting & or wishing the best to.

this.

Are you new to sports? Ever play any? Ever been a coach? ****, I lost my first game (in 4 years) as a coach this past year to a team we beat the brakes off of prior and guess what, whiny parents exist even when you win all the **** time. How you deal with them is another matter. Once you've tried to deal with parental issues, tried again, then it's just noise at that point. You parent, I'll coach. You look a fool when they suck you in.

It's funny you chose to list as an example of message board posters complaining about uniform colors as your cited example.

When your season is falling apart and you're taking shots from everywhere, I'm not surprised Mario cracked. Go on an defend your boy though in an indefensible season. He's just another coach to me, hope he kills it, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As per usual, you are a snide dope. "New to sports?" "Ever play any?" "Ever been a coach?"

Yep, @SayWhat being a clown. Nothing new. Par for the course.

The issue is not whether "whiny parents exist", particularly at the level of Pop Warner where you coach. The issue is whether whiny parents go out and try to publicly humiliate professional (not volunteer) coaches who are paid millions to take care of their adult-aged children.

We get it, you've already made up your mind, you don't like Mario. You say he "cracked" and that "he's just another coach to me". Hilarious. I'd rather have one of Mario than a million of you.

Mario did what every other coach does, particularly coaches you don't insult and disrespect, like Nick Saban. He responded to a question and he sent a message to the whiners. Doesn't mean he "cracked" or anything else. He did his job.

Good lord, I thought it was a joke when you compared whiny parents to internet porsters, now you are comparing yourself to Power Five head football coaches. THERE IS NO COMPARISON. The fact that you are trying to compare your faux-saintly behavior in the face of whiny parents to something a college head football coach making $8M per year might do is an even greater joke.

Parents want to whine on behalf of 10 year old kids in Pop Warner, I guess that goes with the soft-a$$-parenting territory. Parents want to whine on behalf of their adult-aged offspring playing Power Five college football (and potentially making millions in NIL)? Get the fvck out of here.

Advertisement
I just think it's weird that so many guys on the board think that the ONLY issues are the ones that get reported. As if the ONLY thing the dad said was the ONE TWEET. Or that all of these players are hard-working angels who the coaches "just can't inspire", because we haven't seen anything as serious as arrest reports.

I will say this, one of the eye-opening things for me over the last 6 months is all the info I have heard about what certain players have been doing (or not doing). I'll be the first to admit, my rosy "10-2 expectations" were based on what I saw from those players in the last half of 2021. Once I started getting the reports on what a bunch of fvck-ups they actually were behind the scenes, I dropped my expectations on wins.

I'm also honest about being a UM alum and being grateful for the education and what it has given me in life opportunities. I am absolutely gobsmacked by how badly many of the 2022 players sabotaged their own futures over pettiness and an inability to swallow pride for a few months, even if they were ultimately going to leave the program. Good luck to Blades and a couple of others, but I guaran-*******-tee you that 80% of our Portal exits (or more) will continue to fail unless they make substantial changes in their lives and work habits.

spot on.

the problems you didn't hear about reading twitter were copious.

watch the performance of the guys that leave: where they go, and how well they do.

my prediction? most who meaningfully succeed will do so at no better than G5 type programs, or the equivalent.

no one is going to be transferring to USC or Clemson to be a starter

the ones that end up playing for good teams and are meaningful contributors? you'll be able to count those using my ******* .......

(one side)

spot on.

the problems you didn't hear about reading twitter were copious.

watch the performance of the guys that leave: where they go, and how well they do.

my prediction? most who meaningfully succeed will do so at no better than G5 type programs, or the equivalent.

no one is going to be transferring to USC or Clemson to be a starter

the ones that end up playing for good teams and are meaningful contributors? you'll be able to count those using my ******* .......

(one side)

Exactly.

On the other side of the fence, you are going to have the Miami-haters and the Mario-haters spinning fanciful tales about how 17 (eventually more) of these kids got such a raw deal at Miami, and that their parents were attacked, and that the coaches couldn't motivate them, and that the coaches wouldn't trust them, and that ALL THEY NEED is a fresh start and someone to believe in them...

Guaranteed, we are not going to see 17 (or more) guys going out in the world who will accomplish more than what they did at Miami.

But, yeah, we have local Pop Warner coaches telling us that Mario is "just another coach" and that he "cracked". You've heard what was really going on with our players. Some of the other posters have heard what was really going on. I give Mario full credit for keeping a lid on his disappointment and anger as much as he did. And for helping to find some of these life-losers nice landing spots at other schools.

Time to move on and work with the remaining roster guys that actually give a ****e about themselves and the team. Time to add some new blood to the roster.

You know a kid wants out bad when you lose him to a team whose coach just died. That's gotta be a first.

Advertisement
He ain't going to no SEC school. Major injury and no game film at miami. He should of stayed cause he would of played this year.. then if you still don't like miami then portal out
I'm pretty well connected to MSU/Mississippi news. MSU was expecting a commitment this weekend but he went ahead and did it today.

As per usual, you are a snide dope. "New to sports?" "Ever play any?" "Ever been a coach?"

Yep, @SayWhat being a clown. Nothing new. Par for the course.

The issue is not whether "whiny parents exist", particularly at the level of Pop Warner where you coach. The issue is whether whiny parents go out and try to publicly humiliate professional (not volunteer) coaches who are paid millions to take care of their adult-aged children.

We get it, you've already made up your mind, you don't like Mario. You say he "cracked" and that "he's just another coach to me". Hilarious. I'd rather have one of Mario than a million of you.

Mario did what every other coach does, particularly coaches you don't insult and disrespect, like Nick Saban. He responded to a question and he sent a message to the whiners. Doesn't mean he "cracked" or anything else. He did his job.

Good lord, I thought it was a joke when you compared whiny parents to internet porsters, now you are comparing yourself to Power Five head football coaches. THERE IS NO COMPARISON. The fact that you are trying to compare your faux-saintly behavior in the face of whiny parents to something a college head football coach making $8M per year might do is an even greater joke.

Parents want to whine on behalf of 10 year old kids in Pop Warner, I guess that goes with the soft-a$$-parenting territory. Parents want to whine on behalf of their adult-aged offspring playing Power Five college football (and potentially making millions in NIL)? Get the fvck out of here.

Anyone who's ever seen what you typed up knows you're and a unathletic **** talker who hasn't been there or done this. It was a rhetorical question about your accomplishments on any field as a player or coach. We all know you have none. I know who you are without ever seeing your smug ***. I've confirmed it as well. You're the guy from the movie Office Space in the opening scene. At least own it rather than running your mouth at people you'd never talk that way in front of them. Punk.

So no, you wouldn't know coaching at any level. Parents don't change at any level. Social media isn't something new, they're the same and to some degree even worse when their children are younger.

The further I go in coaching, camps, clinics, etc the less I'm questioned. I question myself daily on things related to two sports (one I player in college and the other I admired but had to learn and practice like I was trying to go pro at) I coach my kids at. It's one of the reasons I'm successful at what I do. I'm comfortable at that level, but it's above the level you stated. I don't want to be a full time coach either as I'd have to make a decision with one of my two kids as that would take time from the other in a few years. I handed one off to a travel team that traveled to multiple states and I wasn't impressed and would've done better as the coach. That's not arrogance, I'm anything but. He's now been accepted to an academy that's a MLS feeder program and will be playing a national schedule. Proud as **** of what he's done. I'm working on some certifications to assist, possibly coach, and learn even more. My career has changed and caters to availability with them daily.

Trust me, there's better out there. It's a learning process and your players change yearly making you adapt. Your kids change and you change with them. Coaching is a passion, I'm a big *** soft guy at the end of a season or year and I miss those kids. He cracked though, it happens. I'm not perfect, I get you are lol. Parents though are sometimes the toughest job and you question yourself in how you handle them at times.

The rest of what you said is just dumb. I can say without question he and his staff failed this team so far. That doesn't mean I dislike him, hate him, or any other nonsense you want to come up with. I hate the job he did this past season. The guy we fired would've done better. He still deserved to be fired. We'll see what he comes up with, but I'm not very optimistic he'll be the return to the top coach. Hope to be wrong. Wasted enough time here.

Advertisement
Parents who tweet like this kid's father did/ behave in that manner are doing their kids a disservice. There's no upside for the kid or the situation, irrespective of the "why" he tweeted what he did. We may not know all the particulars, but it doesn't matter bc the response by the father was inappropriate.

The world of sports, particularly football (especially college football), is so different from the real world in how events/occurrences are viewed. CFB fans can be so tribal-like/ parochial in their mindsets. In pretty much any other industry, numerous people leaving a company is indicative of bad management, toxic workplace and culture. But in college football young men leaving a football program (be it coach, location, or otherwise) they are called soft, p***y, scared of competition, entitled etc by mostly couch potato type fans.

Advertisement
Exactly.

On the other side of the fence, you are going to have the Miami-haters and the Mario-haters spinning fanciful tales about how 17 (eventually more) of these kids got such a raw deal at Miami, and that their parents were attacked, and that the coaches couldn't motivate them, and that the coaches wouldn't trust them, and that ALL THEY NEED is a fresh start and someone to believe in them...

Guaranteed, we are not going to see 17 (or more) guys going out in the world who will accomplish more than what they did at Miami.

But, yeah, we have local Pop Warner coaches telling us that Mario is "just another coach" and that he "cracked". You've heard what was really going on with our players. Some of the other posters have heard what was really going on. I give Mario full credit for keeping a lid on his disappointment and anger as much as he did. And for helping to find some of these life-losers nice landing spots at other schools.

Time to move on and work with the remaining roster guys that actually give a ****e about themselves and the team. Time to add some new blood to the roster.
Agree with a lot of what you said but don't like calling any of these kids 'life-losers'. They're largely 19ish year olds whose biggest mistake was signing on to come play football at the school we all love.

The culture was obviously broken here, and outside of a few special type kids like a Restrepo most are going to fall into what the culture expects of them.

lol as he enrolls at an SEC school
His other hot take was Emory is the best QB in the country.
Sad Season 4 GIF by The Office

Advertisement
Back