Roche touches on Duke win, NFL, and UNC offense

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Hurricanes DE Quincy Roche made sure to make his presence felt in UM’s shutout win over Duke this weekend, taking home ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week honors with a line of 6 tackles, 3 TFL, 1.5 sacks, a FF and a FR against the Blue Devils.

“I started to hit a rhythm, am excited to see what these next games have in store,” Roche said.

A 5th year senior, Roche was also asked about possibly moving on to the NFL next season despite the NCAA offering an extra year of eligibility to their student-athletes.

“Right now, I’m just locked in on finishing this season as strong as possible,” Roche said. “We can win 10 games, 11 games. Right now, I’m focused on finishing strong. After the season, we’ll look at what’s the best decision for me and my family.”

Miami will be facing off against #17 North Carolina, a team that is a somewhat familiar foe for Roche in that he played the Tar Heels last season when he was on Temple.

“I got the opportunity to play against them last year in the bowl game, saw them up close and in person,” Roche said. “Their running back stable, wide receivers, can compete with any skill guys in the country. Sam Howell is a very talented thrower, the scheme as well, the way they pass protect, run block - their offense is really explosive. We really have to lock in and make sure we’re at our best.”

Even with the challenge UNC presents, Roche reiterated the point of making sure the Canes end the 2020 season on a high note.

“The season has been flying by, we’re excited about finishing these last few games out,” Roche said. “This is a special group of guys, we’ve just been having fun playing. I think we’ll finish strong, do a lot of good things moving forward.”

Backup DE Jahfari Harvey returned from COVID issues last week to record 2 tackles and a TFL against Duke, and Roche was asked about Harvey’s development this season.

“Me and Jahfari, we’ve built quite a bit of a relationship,” Roche said. “On the field as an older guy, I try to give him guidance where necessary. I think he has a bright future in front of him, is a really talented player. I’m excited to see what he can do for the team finishing out this year and leading us next year.”

Roche also praised the improvement of the offensive line throughout the year, especially LT Zion Nelson.

“Zion, when I first got here (in spring), he was 275, 285 - he turned into a monster,” Roche said. “As athletic as he is, as big as he is, he’ll get his body right and really on point. I think he’ll turn out to be an amazing player, really is an amazing player.”

Advertisement
Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

“Me and Jahfari, we’ve built quite a bit of a relationship,” Roche said. “On the field as an older guy, I try to give him guidance where necessary. I think he has a bright future in front of him, is a really talented player. I’m excited to see what he can do for the team finishing out this year and leading us next year.”

I interpret that to mean it's known he (of course, as a 5th year, draftable dude) and Phillips (expected) are gone. We should encourage guys who've produced for us. It's good for everyone. Hope his success also brings us another portal DE.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back