Rob Likens recent draftees

Advertisement
This offensive staff can recruit. And Stroud looks like he's good at recruiting, too. I'm not so hot on the rest of the defensive staff. But they have a lot more support this year. The key is winning the games we should win, which is nearly all of them with our schedule.

Advertisement
My biggest hopes for next season:
1. There actually is a season
2. The offense is as good as we hope
3. Defense returns to 2018 form
4. Defense returning to form leads to baker & patke getting poached by other programs somehow.

Even if the defense is top 5, Nobody is hiring Baker. He's already a D-coordinator, I don't see him getting a head coaching gig any time soon, no matter how well his unit plays.

Even if the defense is top 5, Nobody is hiring Baker. He's already a D-coordinator, I don't see him getting a head coaching gig any time soon, no matter how well his unit plays.
The lsu DC interview baker had lead me to get my hopes up as a possibility lol but maybe patke will want a bigger role elsewhere, not that he'd ever get it/deserve it though.

Advertisement
The lsu DC interview baker had lead me to get my hopes up as a possibility lol but maybe patke will want a bigger role elsewhere, not that he'd ever get it/deserve it though.
Damien, I'm trying to understand why you are so down on coach Baker. Baker is an experienced DC with a very good track record. This is only his second year at Miami and his defensive philosophy mirrors that of Manny Diaz. In his first year at Miami, I believe his defense was Top 15 in the country in total defense. If we have a season this year, I would think Baker will be even more adjusted to our culture and south Florida. BTW, he has quickly established a Miami recruiting presence in Louisiana and southeast Texas. So, why all the venom?

Coaching consistency is a major factor for prospects, but you seem ready to can Baker after just one season. Perhaps you are a "fair weather fan" looking for scalps after our terrible 2019 season. I get that, but give the man a chance.

Man, if Patke can somehow fail up to a DC job somewhere else, that would be sweet

Damien, I'm trying to understand why you are so down on coach Baker. Baker is an experienced DC with a very good track record. This is only his second year at Miami and his defensive philosophy mirrors that of Manny Diaz. In his first year at Miami, I believe his defense was Top 15 in the country in total defense. If we have a season this year, I would think Baker will be even more adjusted to our culture and south Florida. BTW, he has quickly established a Miami recruiting presence in Louisiana and southeast Texas. So, why all the venom?

Coaching consistency is a major factor for prospects, but you seem ready to can Baker after just one season. Perhaps you are a "fair weather fan" looking for scalps after our terrible 2019 season. I get that, but give the man a chance.
Zona, believe me I'm anything but a fair weather fan. I've been ride or die with this school my whole life. My issue with Baker is his lack of feel for proper utilization of play calls (4th & 17). Seeing d ends dropping into coverage so often was frustrating along with inconsistency regarding tackling, not all that is his fault but if you're DC you function as the CEO of the D and it must be improved going forward. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and the D is lights out next year.

Advertisement

His Defensive Philosophy Mirrors Manny Diaz's????.....Is that something Great??....Lol...You mean the same Philosophy that got Diaz canned just about everywhere he's been??....

Defense giving up 4th and 17 @ NC and 3 and 19 against FIU, plus other 3rd and longs were tough to swallow and forget

Advertisement
Manny's defensive philosophy has a lot of positives, but is heavily dependent on the DC to think on his feet and adapt in real time to what the offense is throwing at it. Manny often got too cute with his playcalling, took too many risks when less would have gotten the job done, and likely cost us a game or two as DC. But by and large, he was smart enough and quick thinking enough to make it work.

Baker just doesn't seem like that guy. He seems like a good guy, and a decent operator who can execute someone else's plan, but not make up his own on the fly. James Coley without the recruiting skills. And speaking of recruiting, he's just not good at it. Stroud, who is a recent hire, is the only defensive coach showing himself to be a plus recruiter, Banda is adequate, whereas Baker, Patke and Rumph are subpar.

I also don't like Baker's few adaptations of Manny's scheme. I feel the DL is being asked to play patty-cake too often (usually because he's sending someone else on a blitz). In general, he bets too often and badly, misusing his pieces on the board. And he sucks at recruiting. So what does Baker give you other than a plate spinner?

This is what I find kind of funny about recruiting, both ASU and Likens will use this to recruit as evidence "they" can produce first rounders.

Advertisement
Back