Rivals Camps Series top D linemen in nation

PUNCICANE

All-ACC
Premium
The regional portion of the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour is over, wrapping up in Chicago and totaling 15 events around the country. Rivals.com breaks down the best of the best at each position with a look at the defensive side of the ball this week, as well as the athletes. Led by Justin Jones, who surprised everyone at the RCS Atlanta, here's the list of defensive linemen.

(Note: The following list does not necessarily reflect future changes in prospect rankings; it is based only on performances at regional Rivals Camp Series events. Many other factors and events will be taken into account before updated rankings are revealed the week of May 20. This list is for the class of 2014 only. Underclassmen will be listed separately.)

RIVALS CAMP SERIES TOP DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
1. DT JUSTIN JONES, AUSTELL (GA.) SOUTH COBB
Jones showed up late at the RCS Atlanta stop, but with the way he performed at the event, many offensive linemen probably hoped he would have missed the event altogether. Jones' weapon of choice against blockers is his violent set of hands, which combined with his strength and explosiveness off the ball makes him a handful to deal with. Jones has offers from Miami, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech and others, but he hasn't started to cut his list as of yet.

2. DE LORENZO CARTER, NORCROSS (GA.)
Carter came to the RCS Atlanta well-established as one of the top defensive prospects in the country. He only helped his case by showing the athleticism that has earned him an offer from pretty much every major program. Whether it's defensive end or outside linebacker, Carter has the skill set to disrupt from either position, and looked like he added muscle from the end of last football season. Carter is still keeping his school preference close, but Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee and Auburn are all in the mix.

3. DE DAVON GODCHAUX, PLAQUEMINE (LA.)
Godchaux entered the RCS Houston as a Rivals250 standout with high expectations, but it is safe to say he exceeded all of them. His first step was overwhelming to any and all offensive linemen who dared get in his way, and he also showed a variety of moves and strength on his way to Defensive Line MVP honors. Godchaux held several offers before the camp and the list has only continued to grow since.

4. DE DEWAYNE HENDRIX, O'FALLON (ILL.)
A Rivals250 prospect with more than 20 offers, Hendrix came into the St. Louis RCS on his home field and backed up the early hype by taking home Defensive Line MVP honors. Tennessee was the team to beat for Hendrix's services late last month, but USC is showing increased attention and would be a strong contender with an offer.

5. DT DERRICK NNADI, VIRGINIA BEACH (VA.)
Nnadi surprised a lot of people with his performance at the Richmond RCS. His explosiveness off the line and tremendous lower body strength made it very difficult for any offensive lineman to handle his push. The slippery footing in Richmond actually helped Nnadi because the offensive linemen had a tough time anchoring to stop his rush.

6. DE DA'SHAWN HAND, WOODBRIDGE (VA.) WOODBRIDGE SENIOR
Hand came into the Richmond RCS with the burden of the high expectations that come with being the nation's top-ranked player. With that in mind, it looked like he was trying to be a little too fancy and the below-average field conditions hurt his performance. Hand still had the extremely fast first step and good hand technique that he is known for, but it didn't look as though he was being as aggressive as usual.

7. DT ANDREW BROWN, CHESAPEAKE (VA.) OSCAR SMITH
Brown's combination of size, speed, strength, athleticism and technique were on full display at the Richmond RCS. Betrayed by the slippery conditions, Brown was still able to show his great first step and excellent hand technique. His performance wasn't as dominant as others in the past, but he definitely still has the ability to be a big-time playmaker on the interior of the defensive line.

8. DE GERALD WILLIS III, NEW ORLEANS (LA.) EDNA KARR
Willis is as steady as they come. At the RCS Houston, Willis used a wide array of moves to best his opponent as well as the power to bull over anyone in his way. He entered as the highest-rated defensive lineman at the camp and performed well with a target on his back. On the recruiting front, Willis continues to draw plenty of attention and lists a top three of Florida, LSU, and Texas A&M.

9. DE GELEN ROBINSON, ST. JOHN (IND.) LAKE CENTRAL
The question on the 6-foot-1, 230-pound Robinson since early in his recruitment is whether he is a future linebacker or defensive end? However, at the Chicago RCS, Robinson had another standout performance at defensive end and walked away with MVP honors. Several Big Ten schools have extended offers to Robinson, including Purdue, where his father was a hoops star.

10. DT ZAYCOVEN HENDERSON, LONGVIEW (TEX.)
Henderson shied away from no one at the RCS Dallas, taking on all comers and even challenging top offensive lineman Demetrius Knox. His first step is a quick one in the middle and he showed a variety of moves and combinations. Henderson has committed to play college ball at TCU.

11. DE QUALEN CUNNINGHAM, CHANDLER (ARIZ.) HAMILTON
Cunningham is a bit shorter than the ideal defensive end, but it's not as though he's significantly undersized. The inch or two he lacks in height is offset by speed and power. He's extremely young for his grade and could grow significantly over the next year. Cunningham dominated most offensive linemen at the RCS Phoenix, using a an explosive first step, which is rare for a high school lineman.

12. DE CHAD THOMAS, MIAMI (FLA.) BOOKER T. WASHINGTON
Thomas has one of the quickest first steps of any defensive lineman in this class. He is a tremendous speed rusher who can get up field in a blink of an eye. At the RCS Miami stop, Thomas captured the defensive line MVP award with a couple of wins against Rivals100 offensive tackle KC McDermott. It was his combination of speed and getting around the edge that has major BCS programs looking to land the Miami native.

13. DE CONNOR HUMPHREYS, PORTLAND (ORE.) CENTRAL CATHOLIC
Humphreys has a nice blend of power and speed from the defensive end position. He has developed well physically and has nearly zero percent body fat. He's fast enough to get to the edge and blitz that way, or he can bull-rush offensive linemen and be successful there, too. At the Los Angeles RCS, Humphreys was basically unstoppable during one-on-ones.

14. DE BREELAND SPEAKS, JACKSON (MISS.) CALLAWAY
The Callaway product benefits from going against Rivals250 offensive tackle Rod Taylor in practice every day and it certainly shows in the camp atmosphere. During the RCS Birmingham event, Speaks dominated from inside and outside. He was able to mix up his speed rush with a few power moves, while shooting his hands upfield. Speaks wasn't expected to take home MVP honors, but that's just what he did in the backyard of some top defenders from the Yellowhammer State.

15. DT THOMAS HOLLEY, BROOKLYN (N.Y.) LINCOLN
Holley has only been playing football for a short time, but he came to the Newark RCS and put on a show. The 6-foot-4, 299-pound Holley is a former basketball player and has the natural quickness that is very difficult for offensive linemen to handle. He got by on pure natural abilities at the camp and is refining his technique. Even at this early stage of his career, Holley showed that he can be a dominant player at the next level.

16. DT ENOCH SMITH JR., CHICAGO (IL.) MT. CARMEL
Smith looked longer and stronger than when we had last seen him, measuring in at 6-foot-2 and 272 pounds at the Chicago RCS. Technically, he has always been ahead of the curve, and we were again impressed with the sound fundamentals he showed in contending for MVP honors in a deep defensive line group. Smith is a solid commitment to Michigan State.

17. DE JOE HENDERSON, CLEVELAND (OHIO) SHAKER HEIGHTS
There was a lot of jawing between Cleveland-area rivals Henderson and offensive guard Marcelys Jones at the Pittsburgh RCS, but at day's end, both came away with MVP honors at their respective positions. The 6-foot-4, 222-pound Henderson has bulked up since his junior season, giving him better strength at the point of attack to complement his great speed off the edge.

18. DE JALYN HOLMES, NORFOLK (VA.) LAKE TAYLOR
At the Richmond RCS, Holmes used his natural physical gifts to make it a long day for the offensive linemen. His speed combined with a 6-foot-5 frame made it very hard for offensive linemen to get a good push on him. There is still plenty of room left for Holmes to fill out, which means that added strength will really benefit him, especially when he tries to make a move to the inside.

19. DE KENTAVIOUS STREET, GREENVILLE (N.C.) ROSE
Street showed up at RCS Richmond looking to dethrone the nation's No. 1 player, Da'Shawn Hand. While he might not have outshined Hand, he still showed that he is one of the most talented defensive players in the country. After a slow start to the camp, Street showed his trademark explosiveness off the line and looked like he had improved his lower body strength. Street recently declared N.C. State his leader, with Miami, Georgia, LSU and Florida State also in the mix.

20. DT CRAIG EVANS, SUN PRAIRIE (WISC.)
After not seeing Evans since last fall, we weren't sure how he would show up physically at the Chicago RCS. That didn't last long as it became apparent the Rivals250 prospect has put in good work since his junior season ended. The Wisconsin commit measured in at a very good 6-foot-2 and 312 pounds, while displaying sound technique and good strength during his Chicago appearance.

21. DT KHAIRI CLARK, HOLLYWOOD (FLA.)
Clark flashed his ability to be a force in the middle by using his body power to knock his opponent off balance at the Miami RCS. However, he did lose a pair of reps against Harry Dumervil, as he couldn't counter the length and power from the two-star prospect. We would like to see him shed a few pounds, so he can use the quickness that made him a coveted prospect on a more consistent basis.

Advertisement
#1 Justin Jones has The U and Miss St leading...

Anyone know anything else about this kid?

That's awesome we have targets on that list LORENZO CARTER, GERALD WILLIS III, CHAD THOMAS, KENTAVIOUS STREET, and KHAIRI CLARK could all be canes on NSD.

I'd be so happy with that haul.

Gonna be REAL hard to pull Jones, Willis or Carter out of SEC Country or Street out of Carolina. Seems like we have the best shot at Willis from that group because of our in with Standish. Thomas, Clark and Holley I feel better about.

That's awesome we have targets on that list LORENZO CARTER, GERALD WILLIS III, CHAD THOMAS, KENTAVIOUS STREET, and KHAIRI CLARK could all be canes on NSD.

Hope so but with the way we been recruiting on the DL imma wait till NSD, those SEC school turn it up ($$$) when the CFB season is over. Hoping we get Chad and Clark at least, I wonder with the whole 6 thing if it affects Chad because I know they wanted to play together in college.

Advertisement

Hope so but with the way we been recruiting on the DL imma wait till NSD, those SEC school turn it up ($$$) when the CFB season is over. Hoping we get Chad and Clark at least, I wonder with the whole 6 thing if it affects Chad because I know they wanted to play together in college.

Chad will have to play at FAMU to play with Matthew then.

By July/August we know how sincere the top defensive linemen interest is. Right now we are in the top five/ten for about 15 of the top 50 DL men in the country.

Man ya'll are missing the big nugget in that story who is this Harry Dumervil that eat Clarks lunch at the RCS camp UM is looking for a guard type body to round out the OL class but if you find a 6'7" 390lbs Tackle that is mean and nasty with good feet well then you have take a pause and think a little about who can be moved to guard. Apparently he is new to football and still learning the game which is scary, with a redshirt year and college s&C program this dude will be a 340lb monster in 3 years (including a red shirt year). Or better yet place him in prep school for a year and then bring him back an redshirt him which gives him extra time to learn the game and lose weight.

Not to mention his coach is Donnell Bennett so I am thinking UM is taking a wait and see approach with a little back love shown his way, and if he continues to progress I am thinking Kehoe may steal this one. I would not be surprised to see him come out of AG's summer camp series with an offer to UM. Not to mention alot of you on here laughed a few months ago when someone posted his video because he was 400lbs well the pounds are dropping off the young man and the offers are coming first in was Tenn then LA-LF, who will be next?

Go Canes!

[video=youtube;5kybvfVwuJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kybvfVwuJ0[/video]

Advertisement

who wouldnt? and in recruting theres no reward for 2nd place so we have to move up on all thier boads

Man ya'll are missing the big nugget in that story who is this Harry Dumervil that eat Clarks lunch at the RCS camp UM is looking for a guard type body to round out the OL class but if you find a 6'7" 390lbs Tackle that is mean and nasty with good feet well then you have take a pause and think a little about who can be moved to guard. Apparently he is new to football and still learning the game which is scary, with a redshirt year and college s&C program this dude will be a 340lb monster in 3 years (including a red shirt year). Or better yet place him in prep school for a year and then bring him back an redshirt him which gives him extra time to learn the game and lose weight.

Not to mention his coach is Donnell Bennett so I am thinking UM is taking a wait and see approach with a little back love shown his way, and if he continues to progress I am thinking Kehoe may steal this one. I would not be surprised to see him come out of AG's summer camp series with an offer to UM. Not to mention alot of you on here laughed a few months ago when someone posted his video because he was 400lbs well the pounds are dropping off the young man and the offers are coming first in was Tenn then LA-LF, who will be next?

Go Canes!

he doesnt move very far but you not getting around him. but on that not if he can slim up to 375-380 and let the staff knows hes trying i would take him epecialy for the facts
-upside
-dont have to play him right away
-class already solid
-continue a pipeline from northeast

Advertisement

Go Canes!

Sweet Jesus make it stop.

Go Canes!

Bennett's no longer coaching there

Im not ready to write this kid off just yet. This is one of those kids that you hope goes to Prep or JC for a year or two and then see what comes of him. Kinda like Stockar McDougle back in the day out of Deerfield Beach. (Jeromes older brother). Buddy reminded me of this guy. Stock went to a JC and then committed to OU and blew up. 1st round draft pick. Not saying this is what gonna happen with ole Harry but if we are taking projects like Sonny you gotta at least keep an eye on this guy. Although hes gotta prove hes not the next Freeman Brown first!

(Unless Donnell tells us otherwise.)

Advertisement

Go Canes!

Bennett's no longer coaching there

I was at that camp and got to see those reps. It actually shocked everyone there. Dumervil was strong all day. Cerenord blew right past him on one rep but he stoned him the next play.

I guess he will be a guard at the next level because he was going against dts and not de.

Hurricaneof83, you really think you're just gonna creep in here without talkin bout your cousin....?

Advertisement
Back