Rivals article on Mike Smith

407cane

All-ACC
Sorry to mooch, anybody know what the Canesport article on Mike Smith is about? Supposedly it's about his life growing up and everything he's overcome. Stories like these are awesome and give us a chance to understand the players a little more, thanks in advance

Advertisement
Overview from Canesport:
- His mother died in 2004 from cancer.
- His sister raised him and took him in.
- Promised mom that he would finish school, go to college and have no regrets.
- His sister, her bf, her baby and Mike moved in together after their house was foreclosed on
- She have him his own room and included him in her family.
- Mike started to get into trouble after his mom died, sister says there was a lot of stress on him but in fifth grade he changed drastically.
- Football helped him cope with the lose.
- Line from Mike: Looking back, Mike says "I didn't have everything I wanted, but I had everything I needed. It was hard growing up like that, seeing kids with everything. But I was growing up with what I needed, and it taught me not to want for anything."
- His sister attended all his games and was there from him
- He loves playing football because his mother loved the game, she was a Miami fan and they always watch the games.
- He is ready for the future, Smith said. "It's my last year as a Miami Northwestern boy, and I'm becoming a Miami Hurricane boy."
- Once Mike goes to college, his sister will pursue her career, she want s to be a medical assistant.
- She says she will be at every Miami home game to watch Mike play

Last edited:
Its a great thing to able to have your family there for all your games!

Congrats young man on making the best choice for both you and your family.

Go Canes

Great seeing a kid with a good mindset like he has, knowing what an opportunity like this means. Struggle can either destroy a man or create one, and it seems like he fits the latter category.

Advertisement
Awesome, I hope he kills it at the U. He's lucky he has his sister. Best of luck to you man.

For every Diva out there, there's a Mike Smith. best of luck to the young man, i'll be rooting for him.

Advertisement
**** of a write up! Nothing more powerful than family! And that's what makes the U so special!

We lost an inspiring guy when Mike James graduated, and replaced him with Mike Smith. Great story.

Advertisement
Its kids like this that you hope go on to do great things. What a great sister...I hope that my children grow up to love and support eachother in the same way.

Rooting for you Mike!

Last edited:
Hungary kids.....these are the type that put Miami on the map in the early 80's....

7.jpg

Advertisement
Story is similar to Mike James' s story... I really like this kid... I think he will do great things for us... I see him as a tim williams type of recruit...

Inspiring story just like Feliciano's. Hard work pays off young man, and much respect to his sister. His mom would be proud seeing her son earning an education from one of the best universities in the US, and donning the orange and green on Saturdays.

Advertisement
Back