Rip Kobe Bryant

I get that.

But it’s on the pilot to not succumb to any exogenous pressure, so it’s up to him, and him alone, to make the fly/no-fly decisions.

If a pilots succumbs to “go fever”, it’s still 100% on him. He’s responsible for all the lives on board.
If you show up and smell alcohol on the pilot’s breath, but he tells you he’s fine and ready to fly are you putting your baby girl on the helicopter?

At some point, we need to exercise sound judgment on our own and assess whether the risk (death) is worth the payoff (a faster trip to a child’s basketball game). If I show up for a helicopter trip and can’t see two feet in front of me I’m either waiting till the fog lifts or I’m driving.

Advertisement
Even if it was a lapse in judgment, oh well. Placing blame on Kobe or the pilot won't change anything. Moot point.

If it’s incredibly foggy out and you are a smart guy with a ton of experience in the air, are you putting your baby girl on a helicopter to go to a dopey basketball game? I’m not. Not worth the risk.

I don’t know if I can answer that, because I’m not really in his shoes. I don’t know if it was foggy when they took off even. Of course, I can’t compare myself to Kobe because every flight I’ve ever taken, 99.99% of which are airline flights, you know how it is, you turn over control of your life to a pilot and flight crew.

INTERESTING. Media reporting "K Bryant owned the aircraft". I believe it was reported he purchased the aircraft from Island Express in 2015?

Perhaps he was leasing it?

The accurate details will eventually come out.
Oh, my bad then. I guess I have no idea. I am just stating what was reported... by people who most likely have no idea lol

I'm sad the guy and his daughter as well as another family and the pilot all lost their lives yesterday. I didn't cry. I didn't cry for Diana either. I knew neither of them; yet, I found both deaths quite sad. It's weird you feel anger instead. That's gotta be on the list of criteria for serial killers I'd think.

People die every day. Over 50 people have died from the Coronavirus in China, yet I don’t see anyone getting all upset on their behalf.

The man died in a helicopter. His 41 years on earth were better than 80+ years for the rest of us. He lived a life if fame, fortune, and privilege. And now, he’s at peace.

Nothing about that makes me sad. The only person I feel sad for is his wife who survived him. But even then, not too much...she’s gonna get paid, and a lot of people have it a lot worse

Advertisement
Never said I was a good dude. People turn in to teary-eyed ***** when celebrities die, and it’s disgusting.

If you were around when Princess Diana died, that was the worst. You’re sad because why....because you watched this dude who has never heard of your *** play ball on TV?

It’s ******* stupid.
You realize princess Diana didn't know you or me or the majority of the population, right? Still made people sad, moron.

People die every day. Over 50 people have died from the Coronavirus in China, yet I don’t see anyone getting all upset on their behalf.

The man died in a helicopter. His 41 years on earth were better than 80+ years for the rest of us. He lived a life if fame, fortune, and privilege. And now, he’s at peace.

Nothing about that makes me sad. The only person I feel sad for is his wife who survived him. But even then, not too much...she’s gonna get paid, and a lot of people have it a lot worse
Then you are sad just like everyone else. Most people are sad for the actual family and friends, you know, the people that did know and love him. We're not sad for him, he's dead.

People turn in to such saps when celebrities die. Kobe Bryant didn’t know who the **** any of you people are, and he wouldn’t have given a **** if any of you died in a car accident or whatever.

And everyone just wants to forget about how he raped some girl a few years ago?

EVERYONE dies. Kobe Bryant dying at 41 isn’t any more sad than the millions who die around the world EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Except for that one time when Kobe was helping complete strangers who just got into car accident...

The Kobe haters all share the same identity, they're the same person. But the people who knew Kobe, who loved him & was inspired by him stretch beyond imagination & cut across all barriers. White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, male, female, athlete, non-athlete etc, it didn't matter, MILLIONS of people all felt the same about him.

People like you, are an extremely small myopic group, there's isn't a vast diversity of Kobe haters, you're all just the same small minded hate filled knats that get bothered because the world moved when a transcendent figure left us too soon.

He was special extraordinary being & no amount of hating will change that, the proof is in the words & the reaction of the people who knew him & whose lives he impacted.

You realize princess Diana didn't know you or me or the majority of the population, right? Still made people sad, moron.

I didn’t feel sad when my own grandparents died....I’m sure as **** not going to feel anything when some british ***** who wasn’t even the princess of my country died in a limo.

All I feel is contempt for the weak masses who get all weepy over this stupid ****, and disgust that we live in a world where celebrities lives matter more than those of regular people.

Advertisement

No, he's not a peace. He's dead. And his wife now has no husband and his other three children will grow up without a dad. Why does people having sympathy for that and feeling sadness about his passing cause you to be angry? That speaks a whole lot more about you than it does them, bud.

Except for that one time when Kobe was helping complete strangers who just got into car accident...

The Kobe haters all share the same identity, they're the same person. But the people who knew Kobe, who loved him & was inspired by him stretch beyond imagination & cut across all barriers. White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, male, female, athlete, non-athlete etc, it didn't matter, MILLIONS of people all felt the same about him.

People like you, are an extremely small myopic group, there's isn't a vast diversity of Kobe haters, you're all just the same small minded hate filled knats that get bothered because the world moved when a transcendent figure left us too soon.

He was special extraordinary being & no amount of hating will change that, the proof is in the words & the reaction of the people who knew him & whose lives he impacted.

I don’t hate Kobe Bryant. I don’t give a **** about him because I never met or got to know him.

“The pilot of the helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, his daughter and 6 other passengers got in big trouble with fog -- they seemed to abort the trip and tried returning home, barely clearing one mountain range, but never slowed down ... this according to the flight tracker and several experienced helicopter pilots in the L.A. area.

As we reported, the pilot had to circle near the Downtown L.A. area -- near the L.A. Zoo -- for 15 minutes because of bad weather ahead. As we reported ... the LAPD had grounded its helicopter fleet because of fog at around the same time Kobe's helicopter took off.

The pilot was following a visual flight plan and was cleared by the tower to proceed north, toward Thousand Oaks where Kobe was taking his daughter for a basketball game. When he got to the Calabasas area, the fog became blinding.

As we reported, the pilot was way too low -- at 1,250 feet. The pilots we spoke with say it's clear based on the abrupt change on the flight tracker ... the pilot panicked and quickly ascended to 2,000 feet. We're told he cleared a mountain range by 100 feet, and the pilots we spoke with say he was so low he almost certainly saw the tops of the mountain.

The pilots we spoke with -- all of whom have extensive experience -- say based on the flight tracker and the accident scene, they believe the pilot felt he had cleared all of the mountains and was proceeding to head back when he hit another mountain. The pilot clearly did not know there were mountains ahead because he actually descended from 2,000 feet to 1,700 feet .. presumably to go under the fog.

Even more baffling, we've been told the pilot was extremely experienced flying in that area -- and was even a flight instructor. One seasoned helicopter pilot told TMZ, he could not understand why Kobe's pilot would have maintained a speed of 161 knots in such dense fog. One of the benefits of a helicopter is you can go much slower -- even 15 mph -- to gingerly avoid terrain if you're uncertain.

Our sources say the chopper was sophisticated and had an altitude warning signal to pull up, but it was too late. As we said, he was doing 161 knots and didn't slow down. The helicopter hit the mountain at that speed.

Several of the pilots we spoke with say the pilot should have gone up to clear the fog, rather than down. To that end, we're told the pilot could have slowed down to almost a stop as he turned, but didn't.”

Advertisement
Show me a hero and I'll show you a bum.
- Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

Nobody's perfect. That doesn't mean it isn't a tragedy when they die.

No, he's not a peace. He's dead. And his wife now has no husband and his other three children will grow up without a dad. Why does people having sympathy for that and feeling sadness about his passing cause you to be angry? That speaks a whole lot more about you than it does them, bud.

The world is full of widows.

About 7,500 people die in the USA every day, and about 150,000 die worldwide.

Why is Kobe Bryant death more worthy of attention and sympathy than anyone else’s? Kobe’s wife will be better cared for than most.

People die every day. Over 50 people have died from the Coronavirus in China, yet I don’t see anyone getting all upset on their behalf. The man died in a helicopter. His 41 years on earth were better than 80+ years for the rest of us. He lived a life if fame, fortune, and privilege. And now, he’s at peace. Nothing about that makes me sad. The only person I feel sad for is his wife who survived him. But even then, not too much...she’s gonna get paid, and a lot of people have it a lot worse
So the two have to be mutually exclusive? We can't be sad for those who die daily (or in China) while being sad for a sports icon, a legendary coach, THREE innocent children & mothers? Yet somehow they don't deserve our sympathy because they lived privileged lives? If you're going to be a cynic, at least use logic. Is the world a lesser place without these 9 individuals? By all accounts I would say a resounding yes. Pay your respects or STFU.

Advertisement
I do not understand how/why people are trying to justify this. I'm not in the risk assessment business - but I do understand risk vs. reward. In this case the 'reward' was a kids basketball game. Flying to a kids basketball game, with your kids, while other agencies are grounded due to weather conditions seems exceptionally risky and foolish given their destination.

I'm not here to assign blame but I'm shocked that of the adults that were present, including the pilot - someone didn't call a no go.

The fact that LA County Sheriffs felt the need to ground their air operations is all we need to know about how bad the conditions were. LA County Sheriffs are notorious for going all out to catch a perp, and they didn’t want that problem.

Again, imo, once the pilot had to hover around The LA Zoo for 15 mins due to weather, the pilot should’ve been more proactive. Maybe he relied upon his experience vs. judgment. Possibly he didn't realize the depth of the poor visibility. Regardless, his family is at a loss, as well.

The world is full of widows.

About 7,500 people die in the USA every day, and about 150,000 die worldwide.

Why is Kobe Bryant death more worthy of attention and sympathy than anyone else’s? Kobe’s wife will be better cared for than most.
You are the definition of the term "callous", RSF. It's not about money, man. smh But whatever, I don't give a fvck how you choose to live. Just glad I choose to live differently.

Yep, confirmed serial killer.

Not gonna deny that I’m wired a bit differently from most weepy-eyed ***** out there. But Serial killers enjoy death. I’m just indifferent to it.

Besides, I hate suffering. I have great sympathy for people who are genuinely struggling or hurting in some way. Once you’re dead, though, all suffering is gone. There is really no reason to mourn.

Just spoke with a helicopter pilot who flew in Vietnam. His take...nothing new really.

1. The pilot should have never taken off in that fog.
2. The pilot was most likely pressured to make the flight by Kobe...it happens a lot per this guy.

Advertisement
Back