Rip Kobe Bryant

He didn’t need special clearance to take off he was asking for a special vfr clearance which it seems to me ot was granted by ATC. That is not where the problem occurred.

when he approached the area that the helicopter crashed the pilot asked for flight following because the pilot knew the conditions were worse than he expected. In order for ATC to be able to track the flight on radar they needed the helicopter to be higher in altitude because the hilly terrain keeps the radar from being able to pick up the helicopter. ( this happens often when an aircraft asks for flight following but they’re too low to be picked up on radar ATC tells them they are unable to follow the flight due to them being below minimum for radar returns.) ATC then asks the pilots intentions.

I’m speculating but based off prior events it seems like the pilot made an effort to climb into IFR conditions for flight following and then that it where the engine problem occurred due to stress on the engine. Witnesses heard the sputtering of the engine before the nosedive into hilly terrain.

I do not think Kobe would be involved or consulted by the pilot with the decision making for that aircraft I believe the pilot called the shots. And it’s unfortunate what happened
“The pilot then requested a turn to the southwest (to intercept the 101) and Van Nuys approved. At 9:39 a.m. the pilot reported VFR and 1,500 feet. At 9:42 a.m., the pilot squawked ident with Socal Approach. At 9:43:58, Socal Approach informed the pilot that he was too low for flight following. Less than a minute later, at 9:44:22, Socal Approach unsuccessfully tried to reach the pilot. The pilot did not appear to issue any distress call.”

“Data from Radarbox and Flightradar24 both suggest that the final moments of the flight were unstabilized, with the aircraft climbing rapidly from an altitude of 1,200 to 2,150 feet within 40 seconds at speeds ranging from 110 to 153 knots.”

From another article it was reported after climbing, the Flightradar24 data suggested the helicopter was descending 4,000 feet a minute .at 184 mph

Last edited:
Advertisement
“The pilot then requested a turn to the southwest (to intercept the 101) and Van Nuys approved. At 9:39 a.m. the pilot reported VFR and 1,500 feet. At 9:42 a.m., the pilot squawked ident with Socal Approach. At 9:43:58, Socal Approach informed the pilot that he was too low for flight following. Less than a minute later, at 9:44:22, Socal Approach unsuccessfully tried to reach the pilot. The pilot did not appear to issue any distress call.”

“Data from Radarbox and Flightradar24 both suggest that the final moments of the flight were unstabilized, with the aircraft climbing rapidly from an altitude of 1,200 to 2,150 feet within 40 seconds at speeds ranging from 110 to 153 knots.”

From another article it was reported after climbing, the Flightradar24 data suggested the helicopter was descending 4,000 feet a minute .at 184 mph
Yep but The helicopter could hear ATC but ATC couldn’t hear them. ATC told them to ident and they did. We won’t know what was said on the helicopter until the black box audio is released.

Yep but The helicopter could hear ATC but ATC couldn’t hear them. ATC told them to ident and they did. We won’t know what was said on the helicopter until the black box audio is released.
Yeah, obviously. I was just providing direct quotes from report(s) that back up your explanation and speculation

:)

You can as easily get killed in a car wreck. Something I have learned is there is no such thing as a risk because when it’s your time then it’s your time. It doesn’t matter how safe you are you can’t escape it.
That’s just not true. There are levels of risks every day. If you had my experience in this risk/negligence game you’d know better, friend.

Advertisement
he meant the point being you could end up the same just by doing a regular activity that may seem safer and all necessary precautions are taken. ****, ive been driven off the road by truckers on turnpike before in the middle of the day. you cant control everything around you even if you are the safest person. its awful how it all happened, but we cant control when something will happen to us. just cherish every moment you have.
And people have been killed sitting in their living room when a car drives through their wall. That’s simpleton talk. This is all about risk assessment and exposing yourself, your daughter and others to unnecessary risk. Taking a helicopter trip in the dense fog is absurdly risky behavior.

Advertisement
He didn’t need special clearance to take off he was asking for a special vfr clearance which it seems to me ot was granted by ATC. That is not where the problem occurred.

when he approached the area that the helicopter crashed the pilot asked for flight following because the pilot knew the conditions were worse than he expected. In order for ATC to be able to track the flight on radar they needed the helicopter to be higher in altitude because the hilly terrain keeps the radar from being able to pick up the helicopter. ( this happens often when an aircraft asks for flight following but they’re too low to be picked up on radar ATC tells them they are unable to follow the flight due to them being below minimum for radar returns.) ATC then asks the pilots intentions.

I’m speculating but based off prior events it seems like the pilot made an effort to climb into IFR conditions for flight following and then that it where the engine problem occurred due to stress on the engine. Witnesses heard the sputtering of the engine before the nosedive into hilly terrain.

I do not think Kobe would be involved or consulted by the pilot with the decision making for that aircraft I believe the pilot called the shots. And it’s unfortunate what happened

I think you got it right. This scenario is the only likely one. No pilot is ever losing altitude at over 180 mph in a heli on purpose, unless you’re dodging bullets.

At first I didn’t believe the few people that were saying they heard the heli and it didn’t sound right. It was until later I kept hearing it and it was seemingly everyone in the area, saying the same thing.

That’s just not true. There are levels of risks every day. If you had my experience in this risk/negligence game you’d know better, friend.
This is the same chump that tried peddling his size 11 kobe sneakers a minute after dude and his daughter dies in a helicopter crash. Now, in the same thread, he's expecting strangers to listen to his sound judgement about risk management while he takes a backhanded swipe at Kobe. Like Kobe should have known better then to put his daughter on the flight? What a horrible human being this guy must be in real life. A real POS.

Go Canes!!!!

Advertisement
And people have been killed sitting in their living room when a car drives through their wall. That’s simpleton talk. This is all about risk assessment and exposing yourself, your daughter and others to unnecessary risk. Taking a helicopter trip in the dense fog is absurdly risky behavior.

I do not understand how/why people are trying to justify this. I'm not in the risk assessment business - but I do understand risk vs. reward. In this case the 'reward' was a kids basketball game. Flying to a kids basketball game, with your kids, while other agencies are grounded due to weather conditions seems exceptionally risky and foolish given their destination.

I'm not here to assign blame but I'm shocked that of the adults that were present, including the pilot - someone didn't call a no go.

I think you got it right. This scenario is the only likely one. No pilot is ever losing altitude at over 180 mph in a heli on purpose, unless you’re dodging bullets.

At first I didn’t believe the few people that were saying they heard the heli and it didn’t sound right. It was until later I kept hearing it and it was seemingly everyone in the area, saying the same thing.
What’s crazy to me is the heli can fly comfortably at 10,000 ft. It was only at 2,100 when the dual engine failure happened.

Advertisement
I do not understand how/why people are trying to justify this. I'm not in the risk assessment business - but I do understand risk vs. reward. In this case the 'reward' was a kids basketball game. Flying to a kids basketball game, with your kids, while other agencies are grounded due to weather conditions seems exceptionally risky and foolish given their destination.

I'm not here to assign blame but I'm shocked that of the adults that were present, including the pilot - someone didn't call a no go.
Exactly the point. All this simpleton talk of “you can die sitting in your office from a shooting asteroid” is buffoonery.

Cookie Johnson fvcked Erv and seemingly never caught the AIDS from him. Still doesn’t mean she wasn’t taking unnecessary risks every time he inserted the HIV pipe.

Advertisement
Back