Rip Kobe Bryant

Advertisement
Flight tracking geeks already doing NTSB's work.

Chopper fell from higher altitude while gaining speed.

Two speculations: 1) mechanical failure caused bird to fall from sky; 2) pilot thought he had clear air and pressed forward to get out of the soup.
It’s highly likely the dense fog that grounded LAPD flights and caused the pilot to hover for 15 minutes is the sole cause. To think there just so happened to also be a mechanical failure at the same time as the fog issue is probably something only the pilot’s company will believe to avoid being liable.

I used to work on fixed wing aircraft so I'm not a rotary guy, but is there no FAA requirement for TAWS in a private helicopter? Not that it would have absolutely prevented this, but with the limited information available its seems more and more that this was 100% avoidable.

9 souls, ******* tragic. RIP, may their families find comfort and solace.

I used to work on fixed wing aircraft so I'm not a rotary guy, but is there no FAA requirement for TAWS in a private helicopter? Not that it would have absolutely prevented this, but with the limited information available its seems more and more that this was 100% avoidable.

9 souls, ******* tragic. RIP, may their families find comfort and solace.

There isn't a requirement at all.

Advertisement
5x NBA Champion
2x Finals MVP
2008 league MVP (should've won at least 4 MVP's)
18x NBA All-Star
11x All NBA first team
9x All Defensive first team
4x NBA All-star MVP
2x Olympic Gold medalist
2x NBA scoring champion
3x NBA All Defensive 2nd team
2x All NBA second team
4th All-time in NBA scoring (was just passed by Lebron last night vs Philly)

The hardest working, most competitive & lethal Basketball player. He was the GOAT!

The most technically skilled offensive player ever, nobody loved the game like Kobe did... He was an ICON & LEGEND.

I grew up in the Kobe era, he was my favorite player ever & was the most compelling athlete to watch on a night in & night out basis. I stopped watching NBA ball once Kobe retired, it just wasn't the same without him.

I still can't believe he passed the way he did... Unbelievable man, not the Mamba. #RIPKobeBryant 🙏🏾

While Jordan will always be GOAT KOBE was a legend in every aspect of life. He will be missed and My prayers go out to his family and friends.

It’s highly likely the dense fog that grounded LAPD flights and caused the pilot to hover for 15 minutes is the sole cause. To think there just so happened to also be a mechanical failure at the same time as the fog issue is probably something only the pilot’s company will believe to avoid being liable.
“The likelihood of a catastrophic twin engine failure on that aircraft — it just doesn’t happen,” he (Deetz, Kobe”s pilot when he was with the Lakers) told the Los Angeles Times.

Advertisement
While the common term is fog, it can get so thick from LA to San Fran along the coast it's called the "marine layer". The line of hills about 10 miles inland help keep it trapped and sitting along the whole way.

Thickest and wettest fog I've ever experienced.

Exactly. I lived in LA most of my life & now The Bay, and it gets so thick, u literally can’t see anything in front, until u’re right upon it....and that’s inland; that pales in comparison to the coastline areas.

Brother, I know you love Kobe, so I’m going to leave this alone soon. But people do dumb **** and take unnecessary risks all the time and get away with it until the day they don’t. Getting away with taking those unnecessary risks for a long time doesn’t mean they did the right thing taking those unnecessary risks.

It’s like a guy who has a giant gun collection in his house. He could have it there for every day for 10 years with no problem. Then on the 10th year and 1st day his kid gets ahold of one of the guns and mistakenly scatters his brains all over the house.

Or a guy might have a pet tiger that never hurt anyone for 10 years. Nicest tiger you’ve ever seen. Then one day the tiger eats his kids.

I’ve been in the risk assessment and negligence assessment business probably longer than you’ve been alive, and it makes me sick to see adults take risks that put their kids and other people in danger unnecessarily. There’s enough danger in the world without putting your and other lives at risk unnecessarily to fly around in some tin box especially on a super foggy day.

I’m sorry you lost a dude who meant so much to you. I think you’re a phenomenal young dude. Take this as a hard lesson on taking foolish risks.
You can as easily get killed in a car wreck. Something I have learned is there is no such thing as a risk because when it’s your time then it’s your time. It doesn’t matter how safe you are you can’t escape it.

Seems strange to me that since they took off from John Wayne Airport that there was no one telling them it wasn't safe to leave? You would think that even a private aircraft would need to be cleared before takeoff.

From what I've heard He had to get special permission to take off.

Advertisement
You can as easily get killed in a car wreck. Something I have learned is there is no such thing as a risk because when it’s your time then it’s your time. It doesn’t matter how safe you are you can’t escape it.

But He didn't die in car wreck, He died in a helicopter crash that could've been easily avoided.

Driving in fog is "easier" than flying a chopper in fog. It's like flying with blindfolds on, this could have been prevented.

he meant the point being you could end up the same just by doing a regular activity that may seem safer and all necessary precautions are taken. ****, ive been driven off the road by truckers on turnpike before in the middle of the day. you cant control everything around you even if you are the safest person. its awful how it all happened, but we cant control when something will happen to us. just cherish every moment you have.

Advertisement
This effected me a lot more than I could've anticipated honestly. Kobe in the mid 2000s was appointment television for basketball fans.

if youre in your early 30s, kobe was our jordan. we grew up watching the very beginning of his career to the very end. he was the guy we emulated at the park in pickup games. im just sad that he wont get to do what he loved the most: watching his girls grow up.

From what I've heard He had to get special permission to take off.
He didn’t need special clearance to take off he was asking for a special vfr clearance which it seems to me ot was granted by ATC. That is not where the problem occurred.

when he approached the area that the helicopter crashed the pilot asked for flight following because the pilot knew the conditions were worse than he expected. In order for ATC to be able to track the flight on radar they needed the helicopter to be higher in altitude because the hilly terrain keeps the radar from being able to pick up the helicopter. ( this happens often when an aircraft asks for flight following but they’re too low to be picked up on radar ATC tells them they are unable to follow the flight due to them being below minimum for radar returns.) ATC then asks the pilots intentions.

I’m speculating but based off prior events it seems like the pilot made an effort to climb into IFR conditions for flight following and then that it where the engine problem occurred due to stress on the engine. Witnesses heard the sputtering of the engine before the nosedive into hilly terrain.

I do not think Kobe would be involved or consulted by the pilot with the decision making for that aircraft I believe the pilot called the shots. And it’s unfortunate what happened

Advertisement
Back