Rip Kobe Bryant

Advertisement
I know it doesn’t help to say anything now, but based on what I’ve seen and read today, you have to wonder why when you can’t see what the **** is in front of you but knowing you’re in a hilly area, the pilot didn’t just stop moving forward and simply hovered and slowly descended to land the thing until the fog lifted. Poor decision to fly in that weather. Sad day. Prayers to all the families involved.

The President does too.

It wasn’t the helicopter; the pilot wasn’t being responsible. The visibility sucked, to the point flights were being grounded. Even LA Co. Sheriffs grounded their air division.

The fact he had to hover around LA Co Zoo for 15 minutes before moving forward should’ve indicated that it probably wasn’t wise to fly out at that moment. He should’ve said Mr Bryant, conditions are not ideal right now so we need to wait. Make a phone call, and done.

Advertisement
Fair enough. I know nothing about this crash, possibly its was 100% pilot related or 100% weather related. Seems crazy to me in 2020 a plane/helicopter can just fly into a hill.

But my point, after 25 years of trusting professionals to handle you sh*t, a foggy helicopter ride is probably normal.

Bro, fog ain't no joke.

My youngest was stuck in a Minneapolis airport for 27 hrs. because of fog, and the last leg of His flight was only 45 minutes.

I'll wait for more facts to come out, but this sound like operators error.

Advertisement
It wasn’t the helicopter; the pilot wasn’t being responsible. The visibility sucked, to the point flights were being grounded. Even LA Co. Sheriffs grounded their air division.

The fact he had to hover around LA Co Zoo for 15 minutes before moving forward should’ve indicated that it probably wasn’t wise to fly out at that moment. He should’ve said Mr Bryant, conditions are not ideal right now so we need to wait. Make a phone call, and done.

While the common term is fog, it can get so thick from LA to San Fran along the coast it's called the "marine layer". The line of hills about 10 miles inland help keep it trapped and sitting along the whole way.

Thickest and wettest fog I've ever experienced.

Agreed. But when a network news correspondent says it on ABC & ESPN it's a little different than random social media accounts saying it. Sadly, it's not necessarily more accurate but the standard is different.
I don’t think ESPN gets taken seriously. They are a joke of a network. Ever since they cut the deal with Barstool, their ratings have gone way down. The only reason they are still in business is because they broadcast all the college sports games. But they are loosing the b10 and b12 to Fox. Their shows like sports center, get up, first tike, Pardon the interruption and around the horns ratings are at a all time low. Just Imagine what they would have been if they stayed with Barstool.

While the common term is fog, it can get so thick from LA to San Fran along the coast it's called the "marine layer". The line of hills about 10 miles inland help keep it trapped and sitting along the whole way.

Thickest and wettest fog I've ever experienced.
LA law enforcement requires 2 miles visibility before launching a helo. Fresno requires 3 miles. I suspect, because of reported conditions, they should have never took off. As far as helo safety they are much safer than driving a car. Just as in car accidents driver operator judgement often the cause of accidents

She's been flying with Kobe since she was a little girl... It wasn't unusual for them to take their Heli around to from places.
Brother, I know you love Kobe, so I’m going to leave this alone soon. But people do dumb **** and take unnecessary risks all the time and get away with it until the day they don’t. Getting away with taking those unnecessary risks for a long time doesn’t mean they did the right thing taking those unnecessary risks.

It’s like a guy who has a giant gun collection in his house. He could have it there for every day for 10 years with no problem. Then on the 10th year and 1st day his kid gets ahold of one of the guns and mistakenly scatters his brains all over the house.

Or a guy might have a pet tiger that never hurt anyone for 10 years. Nicest tiger you’ve ever seen. Then one day the tiger eats his kids.

I’ve been in the risk assessment and negligence assessment business probably longer than you’ve been alive, and it makes me sick to see adults take risks that put their kids and other people in danger unnecessarily. There’s enough danger in the world without putting your and other lives at risk unnecessarily to fly around in some tin box especially on a super foggy day.

I’m sorry you lost a dude who meant so much to you. I think you’re a phenomenal young dude. Take this as a hard lesson on taking foolish risks.

Advertisement
Brother, I know you love Kobe, so I’m going to leave this alone soon. But people do dumb **** and take unnecessary risks all the time and get away with it until the day they don’t. Getting away with taking those unnecessary risks for a long time doesn’t mean they did the right thing taking those unnecessary risks.

It’s like a guy who has a giant gun collection in his house. He could have it there for every day for 10 years with no problem. Then on the 10th year and 1st day his kid gets ahold of one of the guns and mistakenly scatters his brains all over the house.

Or a guy might have a pet tiger that never hurt anyone for 10 years. Nicest tiger you’ve ever seen. Then one day the tiger eats his kids.

I’ve been in the risk assessment and negligence assessment business probably longer than you’ve been alive, and it makes me sick to see adults take risks that put their kids and other people in danger unnecessarily. There’s enough danger in the world without putting your and other lives at risk unnecessarily to fly around in some tin box especially on a super foggy day.

I’m sorry you lost a dude who meant so much to you. I think you’re a phenomenal young dude. Take this as a hard lesson on taking foolish risks.

I've said same thing about Pit Bull's, Dogos, etc.

Not anti-those animals at all. They are beautiful creatures.

Just don't be surprised when the bell curve of them do what nature intended when someone (particularly small child) pokes them.

It all about Operational Risk Management.

Applies to every facet of our lives.

Kobe could have just as easily, and perhaps with significantly greater odds, been killed while taking a limousine to the game. It’s not on the passengers to know if it’s too risky to fly. That’s on the pilot.

Advertisement
Fair enough. I know nothing about this crash, possibly its was 100% pilot related or 100% weather related. Seems crazy to me in 2020 a plane/helicopter can just fly into a hill.

But my point, after 25 years of trusting professionals to handle you sh*t, a foggy helicopter ride is probably normal.

You would be surprised the number of near misses, especially with small aircraft, each day.

Also, on a bird like that and with his means, he could (should) have FLIR pod.

Makes fog low visibility disappear with flick of switch for at least some distance.

When it’s your time, it’s your time.
You can get killed just as easily driving on the 405 or the Palmetto with these dumb *** drivers down here.

Kobe could have just as easily, and perhaps with significantly greater odds, been killed while taking a limousine to the game. It’s not on the passengers to know if it’s too risky to fly. That’s on the pilot.
Nah. Kobe was a very smart guy with tons of experience flying. He knew flying in that sort of fog was unnecessarily risky.

Flight tracking geeks already doing NTSB's work.

Chopper fell from higher altitude while gaining speed.

Two speculations: 1) mechanical failure caused bird to fall from sky; 2) pilot thought he had clear air and pressed forward to get out of the soup.

Advertisement
Back