RIP Jim Otto

Advertisement
Advertisement
RIP to a great old school Cane! Godspeed Mr. Otto.
Double Aut (00)
1716177183413.gif

Advertisement
RIP. He grew up in Wausau, WI and was friends with my wife’s grandpa.

I always wondered what the connection was back in the day when the Canes would get these players like Jim Otto from way outside Florida

There weren't all the recruiting services and what-not back then.

More often that it seemed like there was some tie between high school coach and someone at Miami

Advertisement
I always wondered what the connection was back in the day when the Canes would get these players like Jim Otto from way outside Florida

More often that it seemed like there was some tie between high school coach and someone at Miami

If you look at a pre-1960 roster of UM football players, the vast majority came from out-of-state.

I have no idea how recruiting worked back then and how virtually the entire squad came from Pennsylvania, the northeast and the upper midwest.

... now ashamed about grumbling to the wife about my sore back after 2 hours of yardwork 🤦‍♂️

From Wikipedia:

"Otto's body was punished greatly during his NFL career, resulting in nearly 74 operations, including 28 on his knee (nine of them during his playing career) and multiple joint replacements. His joints became riddled with arthritis, and he developed debilitating back and neck problems.[3] In his book, The Pain of Glory" Otto described near-death experiences from medical procedures, including fighting off three life-threatening infections due to complications from his artificial joints. During one six-month stretch, he was without a right knee joint because he had to wait for an infection to heal before another artificial knee could be implanted. Otto eventually had to have his right leg amputated on August 1, 2007.[4] Despite his maladies, Otto said he had no regrets and wouldn't have changed a thing even if given the opportunity to do it over again."

Lin Manuel Miranda Love GIF by Tony Awards

Last edited:
If you look at a pre-1960 roster of UM football players, the vast majority came from out-of-state.

I have no idea how recruiting worked back then and how virtually the entire squad came from Pennsylvania, the northeast and the upper midwest.

Yeah, it's fascinating.

Would love to see Manny Navarro (I know, I know) from the Athletic or somebody do a story about that

Advertisement

Alot of UM HCs back in the day were from up North, hence alot of connections.

Can’t say I got to watch him play but I’ve read enough to know he was bad bad man.. RIP Cane

Advertisement
Back