NBA RIP Bill Russell

Advertisement
Advertisement
Of all the great basketball players, Bill Russell was my favorite. He played it as a team sport, when he defended on a block he directed it to a team member not just swat it out of bounds and he was a great commentator and first class individual. To me watching him play he will always be the GOAT.
You have no idea how much it bothers me when I see a player block a ball out of bounds without even considering blocking it in a way his team might get the rebound.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not many players truly transcended sports.

Jackie Robinson, Ali, Bill Russell, a few others.

Love watching all the tributes to Mr. Russell.

Just think how much the world has changed during his lifetime. The people passing of old age now experienced the Great Depression as children. The advances in society and technology over the course of their lives are more than any other generation in history.

Advertisement
Just think how much the world has changed during his lifetime. The people passing of old age now experienced the Great Depression as children. The advances in society and technology over the course of their lives are more than any other generation in history.
My wife's grandparent's house teaches me a lot about the passage of time each time I visit. They're from that era, both now in their nineties. He retired from the mill, took his pension and saved-up cash to build a modest home in the mountains. Did everything themselves but the concrete basement and electrical. Even to this day, their only bathroom has a varnished branch to hold toilet paper and hang a hand-towel. At some point it was broken and repaired with wood-glue and nails (these people didn't waste anything, and repaired everything) - depression era folks were survivors. It's situated just miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway... each time I visit I wonder why I don't move there. I'm coming to learn the simpler times were better times IMO.

Sorry for the off-topic rant!

Advertisement
Back