Riggins speaks on injury, commitment status, and Category20

Advertisement
Very interesting article. After reading about Pinder and his performances I love that this guy is trying to get him to come here (pending offer of course).

That said, what makes this article interesting is how clearly he does not want to prove himself. Frankly I would find that disturbing if I were Diaz/Stroud/Baker that after an injury missing his entire junior season, he doesn't want to risk the potential of 'exposing himself'. Right now his highlights are from a full year ago when high school kids develop and change all the time.

Granted he has the season to actually prove himself on the field (which is the real proof), but I found this section a little strange from his end.
Where do you see him say he doesn't WANT to prove to prove himself? He says ge doesn't need camps and the like in order to prove himself which is 100% true. Camps are irrelevant... Where he needs to prove himself is in pads 11x11 on the field. That's all that matters to him or to us. Hes not the kind of kid who worries about random people or their outlook.

This is the article version of Tre'von Riggins' Wednesday podcast interview. If you'd like to listen to the full audio, click here.

Since tearing his meniscus in his left knee last spring and missing his entire junior season, 2020 Miami defensive line commit Tre’von Riggins has kept somewhat of a low profile considering he was a highly sought after 4-star recruit. After a long recovery process, Riggins is fully healthy now, and is spending the offseason training with his personal trainer at Lakewood High, where he’s now transferred to from IMG Academy for his senior season. Although some may have forgotten what Riggins can bring to the field after so much time off, he feels other’s opinions of him aren’t important at the end of the day.

“I haven’t been to any camps or any of that because none of that matters to me. Like I posted on my Twitter, you can go to camps and be an all-star, but when you in pads and you can’t play, you just simply can’t play,” Riggins said. “I missed my junior season and I sat my sophomore year, but I know I can play, and I’m going to let the whole world know that this year.

“So, whoever’s watching, I ain’t going to go to no camps, I don’t need no stars, no rankings, I got my offer, I’m good. I don’t need no all-star game to verify who I am as a player, I don’t need no social media people boosting me up, none of that. Because when it comes to the game, when you’re in the locker room putting on pads and helmets, the media not going out there, the player himself is going out there, so if you can’t play, you can’t play. Simple as that. You got 5-stars out here getting exposed, c’mon now.”

Man I love this kid...My dream recruit ^ for these statements...BUT

I'm not sure he can take it to this extreme...He hasn't played in 2 whole years? If I was the staff I'd let him know, we need you to show something at Paradise.

Last edited:
Man I love this kid...My dream recruit...BUT

I'm not sure he can take it to this extreme...He hasn't played in 2 whole years? If I was the staff I'd let him know, we need you to show something at Paradise.

Thank God he is at Lakewood and not IMG because if he was at IMG, he wouldnt be at Paradise.

Kid was on campus in February and plans on coming again in March. If we don't know his measurables then that's a fail on our part.

We don't. I'm sure the coaches do, which is all that really matters. Still a little weird. As is missing 8 months for a meniscus tear. I suppose it was a tear that involved a pretty significant surgical repair.

I'm just curious about this seeming mystery prospect and would like to be able to gauge him (isn't that what we do on this board?)

Advertisement
Where do you see him say he doesn't WANT to prove to prove himself? He says ge doesn't need camps and the like in order to prove himself which is 100% true. Camps are irrelevant... Where he needs to prove himself is in pads 11x11 on the field. That's all that matters to him or to us. Hes not the kind of kid who worries about random people or their outlook.

I agree completely that games matter more than camps. But camps/combines, etc. can also play an important role in isolating someone's individual ability versus a scheme/talent around a given player inflating their actual talent as well in game film, too.

'hey, I have my offer now. What more do I need to prove.' when the last proof of him was over a year ago is still a little strange. What is the fear of going to a camp after being injured for a year and doing drills against high D1 guys? You're interpreting this as a 'rebellious' attitude to the camp scene. I am interpreting this as someone who can simultaneously understand the value of games, but also understanding that he is coming off as someone who is hiding something when he doesn't want to compete (after not playing for a year) in drills and be scrutinized.

"You got 5-stars out here getting exposed, c’mon now." , or the last line, could not be any more telling of his fear of being exposed against guys of similar or more talent.

IMO a guy should always want to compete. Games AND camps.

I agree completely that games matter more than camps. But camps/combines, etc. can also play an important role in isolating someone's individual ability versus a scheme/talent around a given player inflating their actual talent as well in game film, too.

'hey, I have my offer now. What more do I need to prove.' when the last proof of him was over a year ago is still a little strange. What is the fear of going to a camp after being injured for a year and doing drills against high D1 guys? You're interpreting this as a 'rebellious' attitude to the camp scene. I am interpreting this as someone who can simultaneously understand the value of games, but also understanding that he is coming off as someone who is hiding something when he doesn't want to compete (after not playing for a year) in drills and be scrutinized.

"You got 5-stars out here getting exposed, c’mon now." , or the last line, could not be any more telling of his fear of being exposed against guys of similar or more talent.

IMO a guy should always want to compete. Games AND camps.
As I know the kid very well I can gaurentee you his outlook of not bothering with camps has nothing to do with fear. It's a narrative that img pushed for years because in many instances they were not allowed to leave campus for the time frame necessary. Also as a featured speaker or from dealings with my nephew throughout the years I strongly disagree about camps and how they prove much of anything. Yes you can run some basic drills and things of that sort obviously. But for me that doesnt show you what a kid will do on a football field. If that was the case artur ****kowski would be a scholarship waterboy for us right now... if all you wanna know is intangibles than sure camps are great. But that's the only thing proven by them in **** near all instances I've seen. Especially since most of them are simply gimmicks

Advertisement
We don't. I'm sure the coaches do, which is all that really matters. Still a little weird. As is missing 8 months for a meniscus tear. I suppose it was a tear that involved a pretty significant surgical repair.

I'm just curious about this seeming mystery prospect and would like to be able to gauge him (isn't that what we do on this board?)

When I said we I meant UM. Not questioning whether you can gauge him. That's definitely what this board is for. I was speaking mainly from the viewpoint of our staff. I would hope that they know exactly. If not, that would be cause for concern.

I’m in the middle. Understandable that he thinks camps are not as important as games. Of course film will speak louder.

But he’s creating a false dilemma here. You can do both lol. Stars and camp MVP’s are not the end-all-be-all, but why not compete in the offseason?

Ultimately the staff has to make their evalution and go from there. It sounds like he’s in the class.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I love everything this dude said. He wants to dominate on the field with pads on when it counts, not at some dirty *** rigged AAU camp.

The camps are of very limited probative value when it comes to big dogs in the middle. Dancing around and looking good in shorts has very little to do with playing DT. You need to evaluate those dudes based on how they play the game and how hard they go.

You having the desire to watch him at camps doesn’t mean him not going to camps is suspect or sketchy or whatever you labeled him.

pretty impressive to remain a 4 star after not playing in two years or attending camps

Advertisement
Back