Ricky Town: #1 QB in the 2015 class

Problem2

All-American
Premium
We've been on him forever, Carroll is recruiting him

http://247sports.com/Article/Top-QB-Ricky-Town-is-No-3-in-2015-Top247-131563

When Ricky Town – the No. 3 player in the initial release of the Top247 for the class of 2015 – took the field for the first game of the 2012 season for St. Bonaventure, no one quite knew what to expect – except maybe Town.

Only a sophomore, making his first varsity start of his career, any expectations that had been established were shattered when Town completed each of his first 10 pass attempts and finished off a 48-0 route by completing 11-of-12 passes for 160 yards and three touchdowns.

Town’s second career start called for more from the young passer. Facing one of the top teams in the state of California in Corona Centennial, he once again rose to the challenge, leading his team to a 40-35 victory behind 16-of-23 passing for 340 yards and three touchdowns.

An opening act like that calls for supreme confidence in one’s ability, maybe even an unrealistic belief in his own capabilities. Fortunately for Town’s teammates, he’s been a superhero in his own head from an early age.

When Town was five or six years old, his parents would notice him quietly disappear only to find him reappear outside, dressed as Spiderman, crouching and jumping to and from walls.

“I thought he was going to get hurt,” said Town’s father, Rick Sr. “Then he wouldn’t say a word and he would come back and be in normal clothes and he’d never mention it. It was all the time. He would disappear, you’d see Spiderman out on the wall and then he’d come back in and wouldn’t say a word. He honestly thought he was a superhero. He may still think he is.“

Superhero or not, Town possesses something unique. His poise and comfort in the pocket for a young quarterback is striking. At times his feel and ability to sense the oncoming rush and improvise around it seems to be his superhero power. So too is his ability to grasp a playbook and work a chalkboard.

Some of that Town attributes as God given. Some has been honed through hard work.
Ricky Town

Offers from Arizona State, Miami and UCLA are just the beginning for Town.

“I understand it and it comes easy to me but for our offense, it was a lot of work,” Town said. “I had to sit down for six months at the school with (St. Bonaventure head coach) Coach [Terrien]. He helped me a lot with that, with the blitz pickups, the routes and the long playbooks. He helped me out a lot.”

As the 6-3, 190-pounder prepares for his encore as a junior, the St. Bonaventure staff is looking to place even more Town’s shoulders.

“They’re giving me more responsibility and putting more as a leader on my shoulders,” he said. “That’s what you want as a quarterback and as a leader, to have that type of responsibility.”

Town’s sophomore season has been followed by strong showings in several camp settings including Friday’s Elite 11 regional and Sunday’s Nike Football Training Camp. It has also been rewarded with early offers from UCLA, Arizona State and Miami with several other programs showing serious interest.

Currently Town has the highest interest in the three programs that have offered as well as Stanford, USC, Georgia and Alabama.

This summer, he plans on making a southeastern trip, stopping at Georgia and Alabama. He also plans to take in camps at Stanford, USC and UCLA. Already, he has camped at Miami and enjoyed his time in Coral Gables.

“One of my dad’s work friends, he has been a Miami fan forever and he suggested [I camp there] so I went down and checked it out. I really liked what I saw from them. Great area, great coaches, Coach (Al) Golden is awesome. It’s a great coaching staff so I really liked them.”

Among the three in-state schools that have expressed serious interest, UCLA and Stanford have been in the most communication.

“Stanford was awesome. I took a trip down there in the spring and it was really nice. The campus was incredible. I just like their offense. It was pro-style like we run at St. Bonaventure.

“I hear from UCLA a lot. I talk to coach (Noel) Mazzone every week. I like him a lot. He’s a great guy. USC I’m starting to get more contact with them.”

While he has yet to visit, both Georgia and Alabama seem to possess the qualities that Town is looking for in a program.

“I heard Georgia’s a real nice area and I love their football program so I think that’d be a great spot to be at. At Alabama they run a pro-style offense and that’s a big thing for me. Obviously their success over the years has been special with Nick Saban so I’d love to be a part of something like that.”

As the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the class of 2015, Town is sure to gain plenty of options over the next two years. After all, who wouldn’t want a superhero under center?

[video=youtube;nTTMQckl2kU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTTMQckl2kU[/video]

Advertisement
kid will either be Kyle Wright 2.0 or Carson Palmer

Sadly history is not in his favor. I grew up an hour away from Ventura and I can tel you St bonaventure is one of the most dominant programs in southern cal however here's a list of their top prospects
Lorenzo booker 5*
Whitney Lewis 5*
Darrell Scott 5*
Patrick hall 5*
Blaine irby 4*
All have either been busts or had significant injuries that kept them out. St bonaventure is yet to have an elite quarterback so it will be interesting to see how he does the next couple years and when he reaches college

kid will either be Kyle Wright 2.0 or Carson Palmer

Sadly history is not in his favor. I grew up an hour away from Ventura and I can tel you St bonaventure is one of the most dominant programs in southern cal however here's a list of their top prospects
Lorenzo booker 5*
Whitney Lewis 5*
Darrell Scott 5*
Patrick hall 5*
Blaine irby 4*
All have either been busts or had significant injuries that kept them out. St bonaventure is yet to have an elite quarterback so it will be interesting to see how he does the next couple years and when he reaches college

way to dig that up. good post.

Young man looks really polished. Love seeing a young gunslinger go to his second and third option with the ease that he does. Looks really seasoned.

Advertisement
I don't care about kids that were at the school prior. Kids can still be good no matter what happened before them.

If we have a great year this year, and an even better year next year I see no reason we don't get this kid.. unless the SEC makes it rain dolla bills on he and his family's collective face.

Love to see him at The U. Maybe getting Kaaya means we are making inroads to CA. I think we have one Heisman and two NCs from CA qbs. I want some more. But, Stanford could be hard to beat if this kids has real high of IQ. Good as The U is, Stanford is a real good school and qb can get to NFL from there too. Of course, better road to NC through THE U, plus only way to always be a CANE, so come on down kid.

Advertisement
IMO we should only take one QB in that class after taking 2 in this class.

Let Ricky Town know early that he is the priority and will be the only QB in the class.

Could you imagine back to back to back QB classes of Kevin Olsen in 2013, Brad Kaaya and hopefully Malik Rosier (could be Alin Edouard) for 2014, and Ricky Town for 2015:eekeyes:

Not willing to get my hopes on a 2015 kid just yet, but happy we are in his ear already and that he traveled down here on his own $.

IMO we should only take one QB in that class after taking 2 in this class.

Let Ricky Town know early that he is the priority and will be the only QB in the class.

Could you imagine back to back to back QB classes of Kevin Olsen in 2013, Brad Kaaya and hopefully Malik Rosier (could be Alin Edouard) for 2014, and Ricky Town for 2015:eekeyes:

I think it is smart to only take 1 QB per class, 4 scholarship QBs is enough IMO. The issue is we a couple of guys here (Dewey & Crow) who may not be capable of playing meaningful burn. Maybe they are trying to fix the quality in this class (bring in 2) and get 1 each year following.

Advertisement
I'm not really getting my hopes up either, but this guy Coley can recruit, and just has a way of connecting with these young kids.

Makes me confident that we could land almost anyone, even the #1 QB in the country from Cali.

Especially once we start to show the direction this program is headed after this season.

The fact is that coaches, in college and the NFL quickly learn that certain schools put out kids that either perform at the next level or they do not.

Brian Billick and Bill Cowher, both who know a bit about football and coaching both said in interviews, Billick on Dan Patrick and Cowher on Schlereth (sp?) that there are certain universities and high schools that successfully mold players into prospects that are more capable of performing as promised/expected on the next level. Both attributed it to the "culture" created by the staffs at those schools that instill a discipline and toughness into their players that manifests itself when they face ever increasing pressure and challenges.

Neither was willing to name a school that put out perennial under-performers.

So, you might not care about the history of how top prospects from a certain schools pan out at the next level, but people who know football sure do.

I don't care about kids that were at the school prior. Kids can still be good no matter what happened before them.

It wouldn't be fair to follow up Baby J and Hollywood Kaaya with The Town. Just as I predicted over a year ago, we are entering a new Reich of QB talent at UM.

Advertisement
Looks great and love to have him, but imagine will be hard to get if USC, UCLA and Stanford make him a priority.

I'm not really getting my hopes up either, but this guy Coley can recruit, and just has a way of connecting with these young kids.

Makes me confident that we could land almost anyone, even the #1 QB in the country from Cali.

Especially once we start to show the direction this program is headed after this season.

We already did---with Wright.

We already did---with Wright.

That was a decade ago and under different circumstances though.

Ricky Town is a stud and had the look of an almost certain NFL prospect as a freshman. Kid is the truth.

I hope we land him, but it would be an embarrassment of riches if we keep Kaaya and AE

Advertisement
Back