Richt's record vs improvements/adjustments

OrangetieFatface

Thunderdome
I think we were all a little shell shocked by the four game losing streak combined with our programming and fear that the HC never makes adjustments.

It seems like Richt is trying everything to win and not stubbornly sticking his guns and telling us fans that the players just need to execute better.

Regardless of the final record, what's the consensus on the fans opinion of Richt heading into the offseason/next season. Casual excitement? Reluctant acceptance? Sick of his ****? Seems to be all over the place based on the previous weeks performance.

Advertisement
Excitement. He has us heading in the right direction. He brings in a great class this Feb followed by more progress next season and I think we will be ready to compete. We need OL, DBs, and depth.

Well he beat a decent Pitt team and crappy UVA team. The same things Uga fans complained about (peaked five years ago....too early to tell) and can't beat a team with a pulse are already proving to be partially correct.

Next year, however, if everyone returns, we have good and experienced talent at qb, Rb,
Tight end, Oline, and a tremendous front 7 (top 5 nationally). If one of the younger wrs (Mullins, cager returns, or new frosh recruit) breaks out with Richards, and one or two frosh cbs end up being good there is NO excuse for
Richt to win less than 12 games next year.

The fact that he definitely corrected some things gives me a glimmer of hope that he's not as stubborn as I thought and I give him all the credit int he world. It's also worth noting that the players have also pulled it together as well, so shouts out to them as well.

The problem is, the Offense still isn't creative enough for my liking. Very meat and potatoes. Maybe it really is just dependent upon him his guy at QB.

Advertisement
Well he beat a decent Pitt team and crappy UVA team. The same things Uga fans complained about (peaked five years ago....too early to tell) and can't beat a team with a pulse are already proving to be partially correct.

Next year, however, if everyone returns, we have good and experienced talent at qb, Rb,
Tight end, Oline, and a tremendous front 7 (top 5 nationally). If one of the younger wrs (Mullins, cager returns, or new frosh recruit) breaks out with Richards, and one or two frosh cbs end up being good there is NO excuse for

if what you say is true, next year we win 10-11

Cautiously optimistic. Despite the record it's definitely an improvement over the previous staph. Time will tell if miami can make the jump though

We have talent on the OL? This is one of the worst OL's I've ever seen at Miami in 36 years. UVA's defense was awful. I was much more impressed by the Pitt performance because they're such a physical team. I'm excited to see how we finish though. I thought Richt found something in that second half of the ND performance with the offense. We have slowly built on that.

We still have nobody worth mentioning at CB next season and safety is scary thin too. We need quality depth from guys who can play early. Front 7 can hopefully keep saving us. Offense needs to keep improving and the OL needs to run block better.

If you want to judge progress solely on won/loss record than this season has been a disappointment regardless of what happens the next three games. If you pay attention to the games, you can tell that there's been progress even if it hasn't particularly translated into wins directly. Last year's team, despite a not terrible 8-5 record, was actually outgained and outscored (over the entire season) by their opponents. Pretty much the only reason they had a winning record was a very hard to repeat +11 turnover margin. This year, the TO margin is a solid (but more realistic) +6 so they're winning or at least remaining "in" games by playing well not just relying on turnovers. There's plenty of other underlying metrics that point to improvement over last year but the numbers get tedious and most people don't give a ****. Now, I know there's going to be people who ignore the numbers and say "the record is the same, the team is the same. Everything else is moral victories". You guys can keep on starting threads about firing coaches and starting backup quarterbacks and all kinds of other sport talk radio hot takes. I won't really pay attention to them. A team isn't always what their record says it is (another classic sports "hot take" quote repeated by idiots). Sometimes a team is better (this year) sometimes it's worse (2013's 9 win season).

Advertisement
No reason to think OL and secondary won't be very weak next year. That said, I'm optimistic. This year, like the previous 15 or so was marred by losses that weren't about our talent, but about coaching and performance. It looks like the staff is able to make adjustments (if slower than ideal) so now it's a matter of how long it takes for the kids to completely learn the system and lose some bad habits. Combined with recruiting which I assume will be improved, I think we're headed in the right direction.

Now feel free to accuse me of being a battered wife, but I'm still remaining cautious until I see it on the field. There are many things I'd like to see moving forward but the most important, psychologically anyway, is to beat a team that's we aren't expected to beat (who doesn't then turn out to suck). Obviously it's most important to stop losing to less talented teams, but an underdog win will tell me that we're really getting back.

The optimism comes from the fact that a new coach in a program that hasn't won a bowl game in 10 years is literally three breaks away from being 9-1. I think next year's team is polished enough to find a way to win those games.

The biggest visible change I can see that's led to improvement the last 2 games is Gall at Center over Linder. The OL has played much better with that change.

But, the change was made only because Linder got hurt - so I don't think Richt can really be credited with this "adjustment"

You're asking that question prematurely OP.

As things stand he's called only one impressive game throughout the season and that's cost us the Coastal this year. That should not be forgotten just because we're on a 2 game winning streak.

Let's see how we perform against a tough NC State defense on the road this week. That game, along with our bowl game (should we face quality opposition) will go a long way in showing whether Richt is going to be a burden or an asset in the future.

Advertisement
Win out and get back to me. So far, he's beating bad teams and losing to decent teams.

I'm not going to start handing out plaudits at 6-4 for these unquantifiable improvements that are not necessarily leading to better results. We lost a closer game to UNC? Super. We also lost to a VT team we smacked last year.

You're asking that question prematurely OP.

As things stand he's called only one impressive game throughout the season and that's cost us the Coastal this year. That should not be forgotten just because we're on a 2 game winning streak.

Let's see how we perform against a tough NC State defense on the road this week. That game, along with our bowl game (should we face quality opposition) will go a long way in showing whether Richt is going to be a burden or an asset in the future.

THIS

That decent pitt team just beat clemson on the road. We beat em petty good. I would say they are a team with a pulse

Advertisement
You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think there is no excuse for us to win less than 12 games next year.

We haven't won 10 or more games since 2003. That was 3 head coaches ago.

That decent pitt team just beat clemson on the road. We beat em petty good. I would say they are a team with a pulse

Pitt has beaten 2 top 10 teams. They're legit. That was a quality win for CMR, IMO.

Ummm.....feel free to reread. I said they were 'decent' which is analogous to what you said.

I do go into next year with solid optimism, but with the following caviats:

1. OL 4-5 stud class a must. Johnson and Brown (on current roster) must give us starter skills. Donaldson has to be a freshman phenom. Linder cannot start or be the backup center, too small and weak.

2. Open QB competition! Kaaya is beaten out by a more mobile and competitive QB in any of the QB's we have or Perry.

3. Richt hires a, here I go again, top notch Pro Spread Set OC or Consultant to give the offense more diversity and better play calling options. Other than screen.

4. Travis Homer is actually that "to the house" rb we lack.

5. Somebody becomes that dynamic slot play maker (Dammit Bruce!).

6. All special teams improve drastically. KO, KR, PR and coverage. Be able to convert the damned extra points!

Advertisement
Back