Richt's rationale for a seemingly unsystematic Offense?

Tyler

Freshman
I couldn't quite grasp why the offense was so vanilla early on this season. I directly attributed the conservatism to why we relied on last second drives to win.

I can't remember what moment specifically, but it became apparent that Richt had to handicap the offense as much as he could to not overwhelm Rosier -- the QB whom Richt said would never play for him.

Each game, we saw minor inclusions to the playbook. I don't think it was until Georgia Tech that Rosier called an audible.

Kind of ironic that Rosier's inefficiency/inability to manage the offense kept inferior opponents in the game up to the very end, when the moxy and heart of Rosier and Co. led Miami to some really miraculous finishes.

My point is that Rosier was essentially both the villain and the hero. Nothing personal, as I respect his heart and desire to succeed.

Execution was a problem vs Pitt. But it wasn't THE problem.

I do not understand at all why Richt started incorporating new packages, pre-snap motions, wrinkles, etc vs VT and ND, only to never go back to them again.

Is it because Richt loosened Rosier's leash during VT, and got 3 interceptions as a result?

Rosier hurt his shoulder vs. UNC. Since that game, [aside from Pitt] Rosier went from 35-40 passes per game to only 20-25. If Rosier is nursing an injury, why is there no adjustments by Richt in the run game when you aren't passing it as frequently? So many SIMPLE ways to get playmakers the ball in space with the advantage of good WR blocking.

Miami showcased a nice misdirection running play vs. Notre Dame that made them lose a step reading and reacting. That allowed the O-line to open up holes, and effectively took pressure off of Malik. That wrinkle is collecting dust. There were other packages that were effective, but not used since.

Where is the consistency? What is Richt accounting for beyond the inabilities of Rosier? Is there something I'm failing to understand? Because I'm perplexed.

Many fans, jaded by the last 15 years, experienced a transition from the reality of being a dominant force in College Football, to merely hopes and dreams of being such. Yet this year -- with every obstacle met head on starting with Irma -- revealed a different culture among the program. Character. Unity. Family. A team that looks fresh at the end of a game, with recent memories of players not able to finish the game. A team that again understands the standard set before us.

There's a lot to be proud of with this young yet mature team.

But, imo, there's some cause for concern regarding the rationale behind Richt's management and execution of the Offense.

Advertisement
I thought our O was coming together as the season went along. That all changed yesterday.

The Offense found success amid 3 int's vs VT because they gave VT different looks to defend. Against ND, Miami worked with a short field for most of the game, and the defense did a great job shutting down a one-dimensional offense. The running stats look decent, but they aren't indicative of what Miami desperately needs to have success. An occasional big run accompanied by a lot of rushing yards late when the opposing team is gassed. Miami lacks a running game they can rely on in 3rd and short situations.

Is it blocking? Is it the unwillingness to incorporate [and keep using when you do] running plays other than long developing stretch plays?

When you limit your play calling to accommodate for a QB who lacks football IQ , you handicap your entire offense.

Our lack of running game has killed us. You can blame Malik for missing several throws that woulda been huge plays deservedly so but we also had no threat of a ground game nor did we even attempt to get one going. Overthrow run rushed throw was our majority series play call throughout the game. We’ve got enough talent for them to know what’s coming in those third downs and still convert but we couldn’t execute. And we couldn’t get more than two per rush when we tried the ground game. Lack of execution and feel for what they were leaving open for us had a lot to do with why we no longer have a 0 in the loss column.

I would’ve liked to see at least a few counters with Dallas or a jet sweep with Thomas. The screens are always there but unfortunately Malik threw every one we tried about four yards ahead of the receiver.

Last edited:
100% rosiers fault vs Pitt. If you think anything else then you just don’t understand what your watching.

Advertisement
Our lack of running game has killed us. You can blame Malik for missing several throws that woulda been huge plays deservedly so but we also had no threat of a ground game nor did we even attempt to get one going. Overthrow run rushed throw was our majority series play call throughout the game. We’ve got enough talent for them to know what’s coming in those third downs and still convert but we couldn’t execute. And we couldn’t get more than two per rush when we tried the ground game. Lack of execution and feel for what they were leaving open for us had a lot to do with why we no longer have a 0 in the loss column.

I would’ve liked to see at least a few counters with Dallas or a jet sweep with Thomas. The screens are always there but unfortunately Malik threw every one we tried about four yards ahead of the receiver.
Teams don’t fear our passing attack because Malik stinks and they dial in to stop the run.

100% rosiers fault vs Pitt. If you think anything else then you just don’t understand what your watching.

Stacked the box and ran zero up top with man on man coverage

Oh and they have one corner with a broken elbow who had a hard time running playing against ahmom and JT4 but he couldn’t hit anyone

I’m sorry this is D1 football you need your QB to hit wide open wide receivers. None of those throws were “nfl throws” those were just that’s your job 1-0-1

If Richt is still having to limit the playbook due to QB limitations, that tells me QB spot is up for grabs come spring and fall camp. I would imagine the same for Bama next camp with Hurts showing the same limitations as Rosier. Good coaches make the tough, but right calls...

I'm less than confident that Richt can gameplan and draw up plays that will be able to exploit Clemson's weaknesses. He tends to RPO way to much and that can get old vs a dominant D line, and he doesnt seem to have a plan b. I hope he proves me completely wrong vs Clem.

Advertisement
Rosier complete 51% of his passes vs ACC teams. Almost of those ACC teams are in the 80's defensively.
That means out of 100 throws 51 of them will be complete
Out of the 51 completed passes (if you watched Rosier all year) I 'd say at least 15 out of 51 would be accurately thrown.
Thats how bad he is.

We're going to get smashed if we can't run the ball against Clemson.
People on here thinks Rosier is going to go off against Clemson with a 64% completion percentage 4 TD and 0 Int and win the game.

Teams don’t fear our passing attack because Malik stinks and they dial in to stop the run.

I’d half agree with you here. I feel they were playing with house money knowing they were playing for the upset, knew we were gonna at least half way attempt to get a run game going (even though we quickly went away from it) They were essentially daring us to throw the shot in a few situations and in almost all of those our WR was running uncovered. Malik just missed pretty much all the throws. I think they feared our weapons but were ready to take the chances with his accuracy and in this game it worked in their favor.

Rosier complete 51% of his passes vs ACC teams. Almost of those ACC teams are in the 80's defensively.
That means out of 100 throws 51 of them will be complete
Out of the 51 completed passes (if you watched Rosier all year) I 'd say at least 15 out of 51 would be accurately thrown.
Thats how bad he is.

We're going to get smashed if we can't run the ball against Clemson.
People on here thinks Rosier is going to go off against Clemson with a 64% completion percentage 4 TD and 0 Int and win the game.

If we have the ground game we brought to Pitt, we will get ran out the building. Doesn’t matter how great our D is. Need to establish the run to get some open throwing lanes for Malik and not become completely one dimensional like we were Friday. It was hard to watch. Especially when we’re throwing all three downs and every throw isn’t within 4 yards of our target. Hoping we play up like we’ve done in our big games and get the job done

I couldn't quite grasp why the offense was so vanilla early on this season. I directly attributed the conservatism to why we relied on last second drives to win.

I can't remember what moment specifically, but it became apparent that Richt had to handicap the offense as much as he could to not overwhelm Rosier -- the QB whom Richt said would never play for him.

Each game, we saw minor inclusions to the playbook. I don't think it was until Georgia Tech that Rosier called an audible.

Kind of ironic that Rosier's inefficiency/inability to manage the offense kept inferior opponents in the game up to the very end, when the moxy and heart of Rosier and Co. led Miami to some really miraculous finishes.

My point is that Rosier was essentially both the villain and the hero. Nothing personal, as I respect his heart and desire to succeed.

Execution was a problem vs Pitt. But it wasn't THE problem.

I do not understand at all why Richt started incorporating new packages, pre-snap motions, wrinkles, etc vs VT and ND, only to never go back to them again.

Is it because Richt loosened Rosier's leash during VT, and got 3 interceptions as a result?

Rosier hurt his shoulder vs. UNC. Since that game, [aside from Pitt] Rosier went from 35-40 passes per game to only 20-25. If Rosier is nursing an injury, why is there no adjustments by Richt in the run game when you aren't passing it as frequently? So many SIMPLE ways to get playmakers the ball in space with the advantage of good WR blocking.

Miami showcased a nice misdirection running play vs. Notre Dame that made them lose a step reading and reacting. That allowed the O-line to open up holes, and effectively took pressure off of Malik. That wrinkle is collecting dust. There were other packages that were effective, but not used since.

Where is the consistency? What is Richt accounting for beyond the inabilities of Rosier? Is there something I'm failing to understand? Because I'm perplexed.

Many fans, jaded by the last 15 years, experienced a transition from the reality of being a dominant force in College Football, to merely hopes and dreams of being such. Yet this year -- with every obstacle met head on starting with Irma -- revealed a different culture among the program. Character. Unity. Family. A team that looks fresh at the end of a game, with recent memories of players not able to finish the game. A team that again understands the standard set before us.

There's a lot to be proud of with this young yet mature team.

But, imo, there's some cause for concern regarding the rationale behind Richt's management and execution of the Offense.
The fact that you think that this team is a mature super team and concerned with CMR at that is funny. This is only year two, we don’t have a quality QB since he can’t hit wide open f@cking receivers, ever since hurricane Irma the team has had no break and CMR still got us this far. You should be grateful and thank God that we have CMR as our coach cause No other coach could have gotten this team where it is right now.

Advertisement
Jarren Williams and perry licking their chops for a crack at this job next spring

I'm going to be fearful in the spring if weeks and weeks go bye and I continue to see reports that Malik is with the 1's. We got extremely lucky this season we're not going to find this same luck twice next season. While the going is hot use this season to pull an elite class and a Miami caliber DT QB to ensure that Rosier can't win the job. There is just no way Rosier can match up if the playing field is even if Perry/Weldon knows the offense/playbook.

I’d half agree with you here. I feel they were playing with house money knowing they were playing for the upset, knew we were gonna at least half way attempt to get a run game going (even though we quickly went away from it) They were essentially daring us to throw the shot in a few situations and in almost all of those our WR was running uncovered. Malik just missed pretty much all the throws. I think they feared our weapons but were ready to take the chances with his accuracy and in this game it worked in their favor.
Precisely fam. CMR understands that Malik (even though he is bad)is our only horse at QB that gives us a winning shot. Cause if he thought NKosi Perry was ready he wouldn’t have redshirted him and played him. So we have to credit CMR for having us in this position, what a ride. Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
We hafta throw to set up pass. This year its who we are. Hope Malik is dialed in Saturday.

Is Rosier the bad guy for not being able to consistently convert 3rd and long and deep low percentage passes or is it the coaching staff fault for not developing an effective run game? I said it, if we can't run, the game is close or we lose. Rosier is not a completion machine. Richt offense is easy to defend if you have equal players, and at some point the blocking scheme we are using is not working. Why all the runs from the shotgun? Our OL is massive, I would think they maybe more effective running from a ACE or pistol.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The fact that you think that this team is a mature super team and concerned with CMR at that is funny. This is only year two, we don’t have a quality QB since he can’t hit wide open f@cking receivers, ever since hurricane Irma the team has had no break and CMR still got us this far. You should be grateful and thank God that we have CMR as our coach cause No other coach could have gotten this team where it is right now.
Don't misinterpret what I mean... They're a mature group in the sense that last year, as well as years prior [with upperclassmen], Miami lost the close games. Miami didn't finish games. Players of the last staff were more interested in sideline snowball fights. Richt set the standard and the team bought in.
When you see the progress of those True Freshmen out there, they do not look one year removed from High School. I AM grateful for this entire staff [ST Coach, though..]

The ability to develop a player who was buried in the depth chart under Golden into an important contributor to the defense.. It speaks volumes.

My issues are my issues. No more, no less. I feel that Richt knew he was gambling the outcome of a game every time he sent Rosier out there with a vanilla scheme. Had Rosier not led winning drives in games that were only close because of Rosier, we might be looking at Perry right now. You don't send a good message to your players by benching the QB the week after back to back last second wins. Richt was right in not benching him without a more viable #2 ready. Richt was wrong to waste a possession doing it in the 4th quarter. That 3rd down play would have likely been a 1st down with Rosier.

Richt knows that Sheriff's doesn't belong on scholarship here, along with already being forthcoming to Rosier about his inabilities, Richt should have ripped up Perry's red shirt after Toledo. Have him and Rosier on the field at the same time, with Perry at 'wildcat' the way DJ was. Ease him into the system just like they did Thomas, Dallas, and Harley. Evaluate and build his confidence. If he lives up to the hype, you have a guy ready to come in when Richt decides to pull the plug on Rosier.

Anybody watch OSU's true freshman QB btw?

Advertisement
Back