Richt's Presser...

CANEMC

⭐️⭐️ Extra Premium
Coach Mark Richt & Co. wrapped up a 24-member strong recruiting class today.

And the coach couldn't be happier.

The team added three big pieces today - CB Jhavonte Dean and WRs Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley - and held onto all of its commitments (10 of the signees are early enrollees).

"I’m very excited to announce our class,” Richt said. “We’ve got 24, 16 from the State of Florida (including Jhavonte Dean, who is originally from South Florida). Two-thirds of our team is from the state, and because of our national brand we can attract great players from outside the state.

“We really hit across the board all the position needs that we had. There’s at least one guy at every position across the board, so we feel real comfortable that we hit the number. There’s a couple spots we may look into the possibility of graduate transfers, so there’s a couple of spots available which I think is a smart thing to do the way recruiting goes nowadays. We do have a space or two left for that type of thing. Other than that I felt we nailed it. We’re very excited about this class.”

Richt also said if a high school player hasn’t signed he would consider a late signee or two.

“If there’s guys still out there that still have interest in Miami we would entertain that,” Richt said.

He also indicated a walkon could get put on scholarship.

Here’s what else Richt was talking about:

* Of the wideouts and landing Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley today, Richt said, “Harley, Jeff Thomas, we also have Evidence Njoku. And as of right this second we feel Deejay Dallas will start out at the receiver position. He’s so versatile he could play three different positions. We did need speed.”

* Richt stressed UM doesn’t push for recruits to wait until signing day.

“We don’t say `Hey, do it singing day for extra good drama … but it is good to have that positive momentum on signing day.”

* With two QB’s in the class, N’Kosi Perry and Cade Weldon, Richt was asked how he sees the race unfolding.

“The quarterback positions, having two we signed, one already here in Cade Weldon and N’Kosi on the way. Both these guys are very talented guys. They’re quality quarterbacks that are athletic.

“I do like the fact that they can move. Cade is in town and will get a chance to compete in the spring. He’ll get about as many reps as everybody else on scholarship. It’s a wide open competition. I don’t have a frontrunner in my mind. You’d think I would, but it’s as wide open as it can possibly be. My guess is it’ll go well into summer or fall camp until we figure out who (the starter) is.”

* His take on local linemen Navaughn Donaldson, Corey Gaynor and Kai-Leon Herbert?

“We thought we did great with our offensive line,” Richt said. “We just felt there was a tremendous s need to get our numbers up at that position, but also bring in guys we felt could help us be great. All three of those guys will compete for playing time right now, this season coming up.

“We’re well on our way to having that group be special for us.”

* Richt also expressed his gratitude to the previous staff for bringing in some of the players now on the roster.

“The previous staff was fighting with one hand behind their back - this is the first year we have 85 scholarship, we were at 80 a year ago,” he said. “There’s a huge difference.”

* Richt looked ahead to a bright future.

"If we do the job the way we should the University of Miami will have great classes in the future," Richt said.

Canesport.com

Advertisement
Averaging class ranking of 12. More than enough talent to win the coastal, possibly the ACC and make the playoffs.

Advertisement
Back