Richt's First Full Class (2017) - Looking back - What a Brutally Bad Top15 Class

This is a confusing thread. I'm sure I read on this site that we had guys with stars so that proves they were talented.

/evals
//evals
///evals
Evals only do you so much good when you are flailing to get guys to come in. We can evaluate all the great players in the country, but they want to go to the SEC because Miami isnt taking this sh*t seriously with its coaching staff hires. We gotta do a better job developing the guys we get and winning the Coastal over and over and over again until maybe we can start picking our guys with the best evals.

Advertisement
Evals only do you so much good when you are flailing to get guys to come in. We can evaluate all the great players in the country, but they want to go to the SEC because Miami isnt taking this sh*t seriously with its coaching staff hires. We gotta do a better job developing the guys we get and winning the Coastal over and over and over again until maybe we can start picking our guys with the best evals.
Coulda woulda shoulda.

we have evaluated terribly. And it remains a fact that better evals will matter. Because good local kids go to plemty of plsces we cam compete with in recruiting. Every cycle.

Has DJ Johnson done anything since transferring? Went to UW right? I remember a **** ton of hype around him because he had some pretty impressive track times and Kul was going to turn him into a world beater.

It's development and evals in my opinion.

I may be of the minority but I feel like Miami has/had a severe problem developing players. Everybody regresses here. Bandy, Thomas, Joe Jackson, Garvin, etc... looked like future studs as freshmen. They never got better.

I may be of the minority but I feel like Miami has/had a severe problem developing players. Everybody regresses here. Bandy, Thomas, Joe Jackson, Garvin, etc... looked like future studs as freshmen. They never got better.
It’s been happening for a long time too...Ryan Moore and Lance Leggett..Wright became Wrix...etc.

Advertisement

This.

i agree

The most surprising thing to me of Richt's tenure was his inability to grab OL. He always seemed to have good OLs at UGA. I figured he'd do well recruiting that position here which I figured would make us a perennial 9-10 win program. Instead, he flunked terribly at that position. It's still affecting us now.

Advertisement
Jeff Thomas, Navaughn Donaldson & DJ Johnson were the 3 highest ranked players in that class.

JT underperformed but had flashes of his ability & played in an offensive that didn't utilize him correctly.

Donaldson regressed after being a Freshman all-American.

And DJ Johnson hightailed it out of here as soon as he could.

The best players from the 17 class were Bandy, JT4, Deejay Dallas, Jon Garvin, Mike Harley & the jury is still out on Jon Ford.
Do you think it is now safe for mainstream posters to admit we have had a talent issue in addition to coaching issues?

The most surprising thing to me of Richt's tenure was his inability to grab OL. He always seemed to have good OLs at UGA. I figured he'd do well recruiting that position here which I figured would make us a perennial 9-10 win program. Instead, he flunked terribly at that position. It's still affecting us now.
I said this when he ignored OL in his first transition class. And when he deferred to Searels lazy recruiting and evals the next cycle.

Advertisement

No way are you in minority, this is one of the cause and effect impacts of constantly changing staffs
we have been awful in this area as well as evaluations..... we seem to have a small board( 76 scholies at the moment)
with regards to offer and very little thought of character, does the guy love football etc.

Tons of JAGs and guys that seemed to be bad evaluations, talent and character wise -

Jeff Thomas - Headcase whose issues off the field surpass his on field production

Navaughn Donaldson - Came in overweight, still overweight and lazy and gets beat by smaller lesser talent guys constantly, huge disappointment

DJ Johnson - Not competing at Paradise Camp should've been a sign. Transferred out

N'Kosi Perry - Off field issues. Matured this year, but hasn't put it together on the field.

Kai-Leon Herbert - JAG

Zalontae Hillery - JAG

Jhavote Dean - JAGish

Amari Carter - Really struggles in space at S. Better in the box as a LB or blitzing safety

Brian Polendy - JAG - Transfered

Cade Weldon - JAG and Off Field Issues

Zach Dyksta - JAG

Zach Feagles - JAG, brutal

Evidence Njoku - JAG, transferred out

Waynmon Steed - Injuries

Bradley Jennings - Injuries

Robert Burns - Injuries and surpassed by better players

De'Andre Wilder - Injuries

Derrick Smith - complained about PT, transferred out

Thats 18 of out 24 commits that have virtually been irrelevant to this team and program. 2 out of the 6 that have been starters (Trajan & Gaynor) were borderline offers by the staff at the time. Makes you realize, Richt was losing his touch as a recruiter as well.

This class is going to hurt us the next 2 years

Advertisement
Still more talent than the teams we lost to besides Florida, c'mon.
Not really. We just say that because they are ranked higher in highschool. You gotta understand how the rankings work. They usually base them off the big time offers a kid has. Lets say Miami offers a 10th grader than has offers to Bama, LSU ect. Those schools offered because the kid was probably bigger and faster than everyone else but eventually he didnt grow like those teams thought he would so Miami ended up getting him but default. That kid however is still gonna be a 4 star. In the meantime virginia is recruiting a kid that flew under the radar in an area that is not heavily recruited by the SEC so they didnt offer. Even if the later had a better senior season than the first anf blatantly plays harder he wont be ranked as high because he didnt go to many camps and he is not from an area thats heavily recruited by everyone so he didnt get those money offers. Kid might be still be better tho. Also age is a factor. Most teams are rolling out those same kids as 22 year olds while we have teenagers on the o line.

Not really. We just say that because they are ranked higher in highschool. You gotta understand how the rankings work. They usually base them off the big time offers a kid has. Lets say Miami offers a 10th grader than has offers to Bama, LSU ect. Those schools offered because the kid was probably bigger and faster than everyone else but eventually he didnt grow like those teams thought he would so Miami ended up getting him but default. That kid however is still gonna be a 4 star. In the meantime virginia is recruiting a kid that flew under the radar in an area that is not heavily recruited by the SEC so they didnt offer. Even if the later had a better senior season than the first anf blatantly plays harder he wont be ranked as high because he didnt go to many camps and he is not from an area thats heavily recruited by everyone so he didnt get those money offers. Kid might be still be better tho. Also age is a factor. Most teams are rolling out those same kids as 22 year olds while we have teenagers on the o line.

I can't believe you just made the argument that FIU, Duke, Louisiana Tech and Georgia Tech have more talent.

Can't be serious.

Yep, and that explains why we have not progressed as a team as we should have by now. The 2017 guys as whole should be the main contributors on the team. Sadly, since that class imploded we had to rely on 2018 and 2019 guys who last year were not quite ready.

That speaks to bad evaluations of character, because almost all those guys mentioned earlier were talented -- talented enough that a good coaching staff could have / should have been able to groom them for good productivity.

Which leads me back to the coaching aspect. We MUST improve our caliber of staff, because we are not developing guys. We lost last year to teams with a fraction of the talent we had, and there are teams like Wisconsin, Baylor, Minnesota, Utah and Oklahoma State doing so much more with much lesser talent. We are doing less with more, and that is a shame.

Absolutely no reason why we should not own the Coastal each year, and by now we should be knocking at Clemson's door.

Excellent analysis, OP. That 2017 class (and bad coaching) has hurt us all the way around.

Advertisement
Back