Richt vs Coley

daddacane

Senior
Never was a fan with James Coley's penchant for the quick out to the sidelines...Mark Richt actually made a believer out of me with the way he and Kaaya executed it time and time again...The difference is the downfield blocking by the receivers who should get a shout out for their performance against App State DB'S

Advertisement
Dugans deserves as much credit as anyone on those. Those receivers are busting their *** to block down field more than I've ever seen

A big difference is when and why he calls the play. Cmr sees the dbs for Appalachian state were way off the line and the slot corner was leaning towards the los so he exploited it over and over

Coley just calls the play for the sake of calling the play

A big difference is when and why he calls the play. Cmr sees the dbs for Appalachian state were way off the line and the slot corner was leaning towards the los so he exploited it over and over

This. CMR ran the play over and over on our 2nd td drive due to the way App St was lining up on defense. Coley on the other hand just ran the play regardless of what the D showed

And that play is why Stacy was wide open on the touchdown, defender was peaking in looking for the short pass.

Advertisement
Never was a fan with James Coley's penchant for the quick out to the sidelines...Mark Richt actually made a believer out of me with the way he and Kaaya executed it time and time again...The difference is the downfield blocking by the receivers who should get a shout out for their performance against App State DB'S

The difference isn't blocking, but when to run the **** play. Blocking is fine, but it wasn't the problem when Coley called it. When Coley called it there would be no way one WR could block 3 defenders.

100%agree.

Just wait til Richt really opens this thing up vs ACC opponents, I think we'll move with even more tempo & stretch the field a whole lot more.

Idk if we've seen any 4 Wide sets yet, but when we really get the passing game flowing we'll be **** hard to stop, on top of the fact Walton will be running all over teams even more than he is now once the Playbook is fully opened.

Also, can't wait to see Mullins get some burn some time down the line.

Those calls brought me back to last year. Except we were on the other side getting beat down by Clemson.

Advertisement
And that play is why Stacy was wide open on the touchdown, defender was peaking in looking for the short pass.

Bang on...thought the announcers missed this point when it happened. They were too worried about App State not affirming their ridiculous assertions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wait til Richt really opens this thing up vs ACC opponents, I think we'll move with even more tempo & stretch the field a whole lot more.

Idk if we've seen any 4 Wide sets yet, but when we really get the passing game flowing we'll be **** hard to stop, on top of the fact Walton will be running all over teams even more than he is now once the Playbook is fully opened.

I think a big facet of the playbook that has not been touched is having Walton and yearby in there at the same time. Fsu loved doing this in the mid 90s with Preston, Dunn, mcmillon, et al. Having a lineup of yearby and Walton in the backfield along with njoku, Herndon, Richards and coley is tough to match up with

The plays are crisp, the timing is good and Richt pays attention to detail, Coley does not, compare the same play from last and this year and watch the coordination under Richt and the scatter under Coley. One guy is good the other guy was in over his head.

It's not even close. Richt is by far a better play caller. Richt could easily be a OC in the NFL

Advertisement

This. CMR ran the play over and over on our 2nd td drive due to the way App St was lining up on defense. Coley on the other hand just ran the play regardless of what the D showed

Yes to both of you. We were sitting there saying "thank you for not making any adjustments. We will take that free pass all day long."

Coley would call bubbles and just throw them regardless of how many defenders were on the perimeter. That's why they would get blown up.

Bubbles aren't a play, they're an option. We're finally running them correctly, with inside zone attached to them, giving Kaaya the option to throw the bubble or hand the ball off to the RB. We're taking chunks out of defenses.

Advertisement
Coley was garbage

Week after week, his play calling was bad and then you have that hb pass in the blizzard

The other factor is that when you run a bubble out of an RPO, it is made effective because the WR is in motion. Richt noted in his press conference that it is not easy for a DB coming in at full speed to tackle a WR that is moving forward at speed. Much different than how Coley ran it, which was having a WR receive the ball while he was stationary only to then begin to move forward downfield.

The other benefit is that the receiver moving forward when he makes the reception makes the blocks easier to execute and more effective. We now have much better design and execution of this play.

that and there's a build up with plays that make sure the defense is honest. He called that play until App. St. covered it, which is what you're supposed to do. That brought corners down and S out so you could run the ball.. Now you have them covering the flats and concerned about the run, then you hit them for 50yrd bombs. There's nuance to play-calling to get match-ups you want but essentially you take what the defense gives you.

Last edited:

I think a big facet of the playbook that has not been touched is having Walton and yearby in there at the same time. Fsu loved doing this in the mid 90s with Preston, Dunn, mcmillon, et al. Having a lineup of yearby and Walton in the backfield along with njoku, Herndon, Richards and coley is tough to match up with

Williams or Herndon are just as dangerous filling that William Floyd HB role. No need to have a carbon copy when you can have a bigger guy that complements the RB and running game. The twist to me will be more Williams out of the backfield. Get him or Herndon going upfield in space and punish kids all day.

Advertisement
Back