Richt speaks on Attrition & teams response to dismissals

Canezum5

Senior
Premium
Miami Hurricanes Football: Mark Richt Transcript FAMU - State of The U

“We just got back to work. I talked to the team about how football is a game of attrition. Sometimes attrition happens like this, sometimes it happens from an injury, sometimes it happens because of a transfer and sometimes it happens because of academics. There are just so many reasons why someone along the way, someone is not there. [Lawrence] Cager gets hurt in the summer - no one really expected that. Now somebody has to get more reps, and now all of a sudden Ahmmon Richards is getting more of an opportunity and Dayall Harris is getting more of an opportunity because of that. From that standpoint, everybody kind of knows it and gets, ‘Hey, the next guy has to be ready.’ That’s why we rep our one units, two units, our three units, that’s why we’re teaching them all what to do in the spring and early fall camp.

“But on the other hand, they’re teammates. They’re friends. They’re guys who had been working alongside them that have created the energy and momentum that we have at this point. It hurts. It hurts us as coaches, it hurts the fans, it hurts the teammates. I’m sure it hurts those gentlemen. Like I said before, it is what it is. It’s done, and so now, what are we going to do now to make sure we win? People have always asked about my coaching style. If a guy messes up, I don’t spend a lot of time, especially on game day, wearing somebody out for messing up. My focus is, where are we at and what do we have to do to win? What do we have to do now? If there’s a holding on third down and 2 and now it’s third and 12, what’s the third-and-12 play? Let’s move on. Let’s figure out what we have to do to execute. Once something is in the past, you can’t change it. All you can do is react to it and try and make it positive for the future. That’s kind of how I’m looking at it. I think the players, they’re resilient. They know Miami football is going to be here a lot longer than I’m going to be here or they’re going to be here. It’s just a privilege for us to be on this team right now.”

:p1juBCjTel7jd.jpg:

I Wish i had a son to send off to run thru a wall for Richt!

On if defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is game planning different due to the player dismissals…

“We didn’t change anybody as far as positions. We didn’t say all of a sudden, ‘You’re a defensive end and you used to be [a linebacker].’ We didn’t do that. But you have to get more guys reps with the one unit, then you have to decide how much base defense you’ll play, how much nickel defense you’ll play. Jermaine [Grace] was a guy who ran well enough to where, is he a SAM linebacker or is he a nickel? He had a skillset that you really were in both at the same time, because he had a pretty good skillet to cover some people as well. It’ll probably be a little more defined for us now, whether we’re in base defense or nickel.”

Jaquan better be ready to get his tackle on!! and I STILL think we field a top 35 defense.

Advertisement
Jermaine [Grace] was a guy who ran well enough to where, is he a SAM linebacker or is he a nickel? He had a skillset that you really were in both at the same time...

Exactly. In any case, I actually think we'll see MORE blitzing now, as it allows the young LBs to think even less. And, yes, Jaquan is going to be critical to our success. Hope he's ready to tackle.

Jermaine [Grace] was a guy who ran well enough to where, is he a SAM linebacker or is he a nickel? He had a skillset that you really were in both at the same time...

Exactly. In any case, I actually think we'll see MORE blitzing now, as it allows the young LBs to think even less. And, yes, Jaquan is going to be critical to our success. Hope he's ready to tackle.

Truth. I loved the idea of the hybrid 4-2-5/4-3 with Grace. I was drooling over that defense because it can shut down just about any type of offense or at least get key stops/ turnovers.

Jaquan will have to play real physical this year for us to have the defense i expect. I believe he is down for the cause.

I HATE the idea of having to blitz more but it is what it is. At the very least we know all 3 Linebackers are punishers so running thru a gap and blowing shid up will make things easier, as you stated.

The over in Miami games this year will be a safe bet, weekly. One thing is for sure, this season is going to be a **** of a lot more exciting than any in recent memory.

Advertisement
The over in Miami games this year will be a safe bet, weekly. One thing is for sure, this season is going to be a **** of a lot more exciting than any in recent memory.

Yep. It will be a shootout more often than not.

I HATE the idea of having to blitz more but it is what it is. At the very least we know all 3 Linebackers are punishers so running thru a gap and blowing shid up will make things easier, as you stated.

Are you ***!!! Blitzing = Men = UM. You sir just displayed a high level of *****ery.

man if i were on this team i wouldn't need the pads ray has on... i go through the wall for coach richt!!
[video=youtube;u1CwwsWkQLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1CwwsWkQLU[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
The experience of our DBs will be huge.
Young LBs and depth issues at DL

crazy to say the secondary is our more experienced
not our deepest but the starting four and nickle will be READY

Anyone know how bethel has looked
Hoping not to burn him but can he contrulibute

I hope he is too!

I'll take a young, mistake prone, but aggressive defense over the death by a thousand cuts garbage we saw every week under Golden/D'onofrio.

Man, **** it. At least, we are going to be aggressive. We have been losing games being pussies, playing bend don't break, for years. Miami, ain't nothing, if it ain't aggressive. **** Compliance. **** the NCAA. **** Florida. **** FSU. Put on them black cleats and hit them mother****ers in the mouth. Let the chips fall were they fall.

Go get them, Canes. See you Saturday!!!!!!.

Advertisement

Are you ***!!! Blitzing = Men = UM. You sir just displayed a high level of *****ery.

Slow your role homie. Blitzing is an art. Gotta know when, where, and how to dial them up.

If you have a dominant front you dont need to blitz... youll get pressure AND have more people available in coverage.

This aint madden homie. Blitzing can be just as puzzy as it is "manly"

Leave the real football talk to those who understand.

For years we've been losing to less talented , but better coached teams. Few if any had more depth. It's time for that to change.
After a 3 game "preseason", we need to to beat teams where talent difference is less marked (or even reversed) because of skeme and technique.
Injuries will happen, so every player needs to be able to tackle. This year the coaches are the most critical factor in close games we have lost the 10yrs.

The experience of our DBs will be huge.
Young LBs and depth issues at DL

crazy to say the secondary is our more experienced
not our deepest but the starting four and nickle will be READY

Anyone know how bethel has looked
Hoping not to burn him but can he contrulibute

I don't think we have depth issues on the DL. I think we have a lack of experience. We have the horses, we just aren't sure when the lights come on, if they know what to do. Hope coach Diaz tells them to go get the QB and make him not want to take the next snap.

Advertisement
It's going to tell when we play fast paced offense. When players get tired

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I'll take a young, mistake prone, but aggressive defense over the death by a thousand cuts garbage we saw every week under Golden/D'onofrio.

Exactly. As long as we get better each week and not finish the season with the same **** mistakes we've seen in games 1-2, I'll be pleased.

Truth. I loved the idea of the hybrid 4-2-5/4-3 with Grace. I was drooling over that defense because it can shut down just about any type of offense or at least get key stops/ turnovers.

Jaquan will have to play real physical this year for us to have the defense i expect. I believe he is down for the cause.

4 -2-5 you can have Carter float around and make plays at LB . Blitzing from alll over the field to create issues

Last edited:
"4 -2-5 you can have Carter float around and make plays at LB . Blitzing from alll over the field to create issues"

Up Vote, Up Vote, Up Vote.

Advertisement
Back