Richt quotes following scrimmage one

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Here are a few notable quotes from Mark Richt following the first scrimmage of fall camp.

On the defense: “I thought defensively, we played the run pretty darn good. The number one defense would have had probably every one of those sacks we recorded. They were really coming off the edge and creating issues for the second team line.”

On the team’s health: “One of the blessings is that nobody got banged up. Well, somebody might have gotten banged up, but no one got hurt enough to leave the field.”

On discipline: “We had a few penalties. I didn’t think it was a massive amount… We had ACC officials and I told them to call it like they call it in a game. We had a holding on a screen play you should never have. We didn’t have any pre-snap alignment problems."

On players who stepped up today: “I’ve just been very pleased with Brad (Kaaya). He’s been very, very solid and today he was locked in. (David) Njoku caught a pass 2-3 yards short of the first-down and guys were bee bee-ing him and he kept his balance and made a nice run. Same thing with Yearby.”

On the cornerbacks: “I know we had a busted assignment on the long play with Dayall. It was a total busted coverage. The safety inverted weak so my guess is the corner was supposed to have him, but the safety might have been the one who made the mistake…we have to be careful that when we break on the ball, we better secure the tackle because if not he can go a long way with it.”

On the backup QB situation: “It’s been frustrating trying to figure out who the second guy is. I talked to them last night about after this scrimmage, we might start repping one guy with the twos and one guy with the threes and getting that guy ready. After I look at the tape I’ll decide. Right now I don’t know for sure.”

**Richt noted that Ryan Mayes had a pick-6 off of Brad Kaaya.

**Linebacker Mike Pinckney practiced today. Richt says that he has been “hobbling around”, but that they’ve done all the testing he needs and that there is nothing to worry about.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't think I've ever seen Mayes play outside of special teams and a couple of plays in garbage time. Kid is always hurt. So other than not liking him as a recruit I'm not sure what he's done to be getting crushed. Any player that got no time under Golden, D'Onofrio and specifically Paul Williams gets a clean slate from me.

On the team’s health: “One of the blessings is that nobody got banged up. Well, somebody might have gotten banged up, but no one got hurt enough to leave the field.”

-------------------

Richt is funny... Taking subliminal shots. The team will get a kick out of it. I wonder who got rocked!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
"On the defense: “I thought defensively, we played the run pretty darn good. The number one defense would have had probably every one of those sacks we recorded. They were really coming off the edge and creating issues for the second team line.”"

So I'm assuming that means they weren't tackling the QB? Go ahead make fun of me for not knowing - I come from an era of tackling the QB youth through NFL (and I'm only 10 years removed from the sport), and the sports I coach now are XC/Track/Baseball/Wrestling - so I'm not privy to the new era training tactics in Football.

"On the defense: “I thought defensively, we played the run pretty darn good. The number one defense would have had probably every one of those sacks we recorded. They were really coming off the edge and creating issues for the second team line.”"

So I'm assuming that means they weren't tackling the QB? Go ahead make fun of me for not knowing - I come from an era of tackling the QB youth through NFL (and I'm only 10 years removed from the sport), and the sports I coach now are XC/Track/Baseball/Wrestling - so I'm not privy to the new era training tactics in Football.

The quarterback is usually protected with a red jersey since they are the most important and most vulnerable. Usually they are quick on the whistle when people get tied up too just to help eliminate unnecessary injuries from piling on...etc. Aside from that it's full contact. I'm assuming one of the scrimmages towards the end of fall will be full go no restrictions but maybe not considering we have two warm up games anyway.

Advertisement
Back