Richt on Sirius XM

Classic

TAFKA CaneClassic
Though it's not new information, I think it's a new interview, and it's the offseason...so enjoy.

For those of us who have worried about Richt's ceiling, he again emphasizes his increased participation in practice and the offense. I think he got all comfy and cozy walking the sidelines in Athens, like dannyboy roaming the aisles of Wal Mart in a snuggie.

Miami is good for Richt, and Richt is good for Miami.

Excerpts of article below, with link for full story:

“When you turn over the play-calling as a head coach, you become more of just a CEO-type of coach,” Richt told SiriusXM College Sports Nation. “Obviously a lot of coaches had success doing it that way, and we did at Georgia, but it’s just not as much fun. You’re just not as involved. I think the players, over time, see you as the grandfather figure, just keeping an eye on everybody.”

At Miami, Richt is calling plays and coaching quarterbacks, and he says it’s mutually beneficial.

“Now, I’m in the heat of every meeting, the heat of every battle on the field, installing stuff, calling stuff, competing on a daily basis against a defense,” he said. “They see my energy, they see my competitive spirit that is more reserved if I’m not in the heat of it. I think it’s healthy for me. I’m enjoying it tremendously, and I think it’s healthy for the players to see me get down and dirty with everybody else.”

Richt has raved about working with Brad Kaaya, the junior who already has 25 starts under his belt. The coaching goes two ways with that relationship. Instead of just directing Kaaya, Richt says the QB knows how to give feedback and explain the reason behind decisions.

“After every play, I can talk to him and say, ‘What did you see and why did you do that?’ I’m not going to say it’s wrong or right until I hear his side,” Richt said. “It’s amazing how he can recall just what happened, what he saw and why he made a certain decision he made. A lot of times, he’s right. ‘Why did you do that?’ Then when he explains it, it did make sense.”

Mark Richt: Players saw me just as a grandfather figure at Georgia

Advertisement
The CMR hiring is the best thing this schools done in over the last 10-12 years. Still was hoping Randy Shannon woulda been hired as DC/LB coach. But I believe Diaz will do just fine with more superior talent than anywhere hes coached.

Not sure Randy was a great D-coordinator. Those Miami teams were loaded, and had playmaker all over the defensive side. There's a good reason why he can't seem to get another shot as a coordinator.

Advertisement
I think he got all comfy and cozy walking the sidelines in Athens, like dannyboy roaming the aisles of Wal Mart in a snuggie.
Up-voted for this line alone.
This...poor DBC has not been able to get his life back together following his multiple deaths. I wonder what will kill him next? Zika virus, monkeys from monkey jungle, ebola? there are just too many things that can go wrong. his only security is Walmart...on the grocery side.

Not sure Randy was a great D-coordinator. Those Miami teams were loaded, and had playmaker all over the defensive side. There's a good reason why he can't seem to get another shot as a coordinator.

A "good" reason? Try a GREAT reason.

He hasn't coordinated a **** thing in the recent history because he was never a good coordinator. Period.

He hasn't coordinated a **** thing in the recent history because he was never a good coordinator. Period.

Who gives a ****...It's Miami...he will continue to have play makers all around to recruit...and if he has that then I'll gladly take a crappy coordinator who needs talented players to make us a top 5 defense year in and year out because news flash (when Miami wins, we get who we want)

Last edited:
Randy Shannon products as a LB and/or DC:

Ray Lewis
Twan Russel (6 years in NFL)
Nate Webster (6 years in NFL)
Jon Vilma
DJ Williams
Darren Glover
Rocky McIntosh
Leon Williams
Jon Beason

Find me a LB coach with a better resume.

Advertisement

Who gives a ****...It's Miami...he will continue to have play makers all around to recruit...and if he has that then I'll gladly take a crappy coordinator who needs talented players to make us a top 5 defense year in and year out because news flash (when Miami wins, we get who we want)

I give a ****. He's straight up incompetent and pretty much summarizes the incompetence that was our administration for a decade. Larry Coker, Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Patrick Nix, Mark D'Onfrio. That's a who's ******* who of incompetent head and assistant coaches/coordinators. There's a natural progression that all the good coaches have on their resume that Randy Shannon doesn't...he was promoted by an incompetent administration from a job he was never very good at...and since then not one other program has deemed him good enough to even coordinate a **** defense at the college level

You don't go from a COORDINATOR, to a HEAD COACH, to A ******* POSITION COACH by accident. It's called being labeled as a garbage coach once you're exposed.

Keep Randy Shannon the **** away from this program in any capacity other than a position coach....cause at this stage that's all he is.

This program has being torn down by horrible coaching for the last decade...now that we finally have a competent head coach you've got geniuses on this board still bringing up Shannon. It boggles the ******* mind.

Last edited:

I give a ****. He's straight up incompetent and pretty much summarizes the incompetence that was our administration for a decade. Larry Coker, Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Patrick Nix, Mark D'Onfrio. That's a who's ****ing who of incompetent head and assistant coaches/coordinators. There's a natural progression that all the good coaches have on their resume that Randy Shannon doesn't...he was promoted by an incompetent administration from a job he was never very good at...and since then not one other program has deemed him good enough to even coordinate a **** defense at the college level

You don't go from a COORDINATOR, to a HEAD COACH, to A ****ING POSITION COACH by accident. It's called being labeled as a garbage coach once you're exposed.

Keep Randy Shannon the **** away from this program in any capacity other than a position coach....cause at this stage that's all he is.

This program has being torn down by horrible coaching for the last decade...now that we finally have a competent head coach you've got geniuses on this board still bringing up Shannon. It boggles the ****ing mind.

You should probably check the salary for a coaching staff that Shannon had. You should also check his resume as a DC. You are crazy to think he hasn't been offered a coordinator job since 2010.
Mel Tucker just got hired to be the DC at UGA, let me know whose coaching for DEFENSE went worse on that end.

Again, find a LB coach with a better resume, find a DC who is consistently better than the defenses fielded with him as a DC

Last edited:

I give a ****. He's straight up incompetent and pretty much summarizes the incompetence that was our administration for a decade. Larry Coker, Randy Shannon, Al Golden, Patrick Nix, Mark D'Onfrio. That's a who's ****ing who of incompetent head and assistant coaches/coordinators. There's a natural progression that all the good coaches have on their resume that Randy Shannon doesn't...he was promoted by an incompetent administration from a job he was never very good at...and since then not one other program has deemed him good enough to even coordinate a **** defense at the college level

You don't go from a COORDINATOR, to a HEAD COACH, to A ****ING POSITION COACH by accident. It's called being labeled as a garbage coach once you're exposed.

This program has being torn down by horrible coaching for the last decade...now that we finally have a competent head coach you've got geniuses on this board still bringing up Shannon. It boggles the ****ing mind.

You should probably check the salary for a coaching staff that Shannon had. You should also check his resume as a DC. You are crazy to think he hasn't been offered a coordinator job since 2010.
Mel Tucker just got hired to be the DC at UGA, let me know whose coaching for DEFENSE went worse on that end.

Again, find a LB coach with a better resume, find a DC who is consistently better than the defenses fielded with him as a DC

We've got some world class morons on this board.

Let me repeat. He's been reduced to a position coach. He's not coordinating, he's a POSITION COACH AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL. Not one program of significance has reached out to have the "former DC", with head coaching experience mind you, to coordinate a **** thing.

You're either a relative or Shannon himself.

Last edited:
Why do some posters not understand Randy Shannon will never work at Miami again?

His DC skills aside, the Shapiro stuff happened under his watch. I can assure you he is blacklisted from the university and will never work here again in any capacity, so it's pointless to bring his name up

Advertisement

So do you think he's just been turning those offers down just to coach LB's for all these years?

So do you think he's just been turning those offers down just to coach LB's for all these years?

Umm yeah, he said it himself. Said he didn't want to take any job just to take it. Said he wanted to gain some more tips and network with good coaches across the country

Umm yeah, he said it himself. Said he didn't want to take any job just to take it. Said he wanted to gain some more tips and network with good coaches across the country
Lol I've been turning down head coaching jobs too. Just waiting for the right moment and learning from sportcenter as I go.

Advertisement
Shannon was a far better coach than golden. He at least had some legit wins against Fsu, Clemson and Oklahoma.

Dude is a major blow hard. I understand Randy sucked as a HC but he is cane family and has done waaay more for this university than anyone on this board. Dude has given a 3rd of his life to this school. Anyone that can go that hard to condemn a guy and **** on his name cant be trusted or even called a Cane fan.

His only argument I that Randy isn't coaching a defense right now. Nevermind that its RANDYS CHOICE. Nevermind that he cant name 10 coordinators better or with better résumé.

Dude strictly has an agenda against Randy Shannon. And only dumbass *** clowns agree with him. Not one intelligent poster has cosigned his bashing of Randy Shannon. It's unwarranted and shows that he is probably more racist than anything.

Why would UCF consider Randy for head coaching job? That's proof enough that the man is getting offered jobs. As if Randy couldn't go work for some bum *** school. But good coaches dont do that.

They'd rather position coach at a big contender than head coach or coordinate at bumfuq university.

But some of these dudes have an agenda.

Only thing I can think of I racism. Cuz logic doesn't fly in his brain at all.

Lol I've been turning down head coaching jobs too. Just waiting for the right moment and learning from sportcenter as I go.[/]

Well excuse me If I trust cane family whose has a reputation of hard work and honesty, who has at least had their job inquiries publicized over someone trying to make corny *** jokes on the message boards.

Dude is a major blow hard. I understand Randy sucked as a HC but he is cane family and has done waaay more for this university than anyone on this board. Dude has given a 3rd of his life to this school. Anyone that can go that hard to condemn a guy and **** on his name cant be trusted or even called a Cane fan.

His only argument I that Randy isn't coaching a defense right now. Nevermind that its RANDYS CHOICE. Nevermind that he cant name 10 coordinators better or with better résumé.

Dude strictly has an agenda against Randy Shannon. And only dumbass *** clowns agree with him. Not one intelligent poster has cosigned his bashing of Randy Shannon. It's unwarranted and shows that he is probably more racist than anything.

Why would UCF consider Randy for head coaching job? That's proof enough that the man is getting offered jobs. As if Randy couldn't go work for some bum *** school. But good coaches dont do that.

They'd rather position coach at a big contender than head coach or coordinate at bumfuq university.

But some of these dudes have an agenda.

Only thing I can think of I racism. Cuz logic doesn't fly in his brain at all.

If all illogical ****e on this board was due to racism, this would be a Klan rally.

Advertisement
Back