Richt & Malik

SinCityCane

Recruit
They've come a long way and been through a lot, from coach Richt telling Malik he'd never play for him to his overcoming it & winning the starting job to his late game heroics vs FSU & the big time win vs ND. It's understandable that he'd develop a trust in him considering last year's results. Moments like those don't come every day, & they were impactful in what they did for the program & the brand. It was a great year, 2017, & despite the late season setbacks, Richt & Jr. had a right to be proud of the job they did with Malik, turning him into a clutch, big game winner.

With LSU up first, he somewhat predictably quelled the QB questions early on to give Malik the confidence to help him play his best. The main problem with that has proven to be that Malik's shortcomings are far more insurmountable. There's no other way to put it other than he doesn't have the passing ability required to consistently run this offense to its full potential. He played like the QB we saw most of last season - wildly inconsistent with the occasional big play & a few clutch moments throughout the year, padded by the ability to run. When Shirreffs came in vs UNC & Pitt last year, we saw why he couldn't get away from Malik.

He now has a QB on his roster that can maximize his weapons. All I ask is that he lets the play on the field determine the depth chart, not some sense of loyalty to a player who's done what he's asked of him before, & that he allows equal opportunities to determine the best man for the job. This team has too much talent to be put to waste, & its strongest group is probably the players catching passes. It's time for coach Richt to unleash the beast.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Very good post and if I had to guess, that's exactly what's going to happen. To be honest, because of Perry's long ago decided suspension, it may have already happened but we didnt get the opportunity to see it play out on the field.

Will be very interesting to see how many reps Perry gets over the next several weeks. It may show he was ready to go but the suspension threw a monkey wrench into the plan. I hope for all our sakes that's the case. If not, it may be time to ride or die with Williams going forward because Malik has become an insurmountable liability out there.

Again, at this point what could be worse? Complete 40% of your passes? check. Be a one read QB? check. Bail out of the pocket as soon as you hit your back foot? check. Be inaccurate on wide open passes? check. If you think I'm listing attributes of a first time starting freshman QB you would be wrong. That's our RS SR QB doing that now. There is probably limited drop off by inserting a new QB and running half the playbook right now

At what point does winning come over teaching these kids a lesson? Malik has been skipping footballs through the dirt all fall camp and spring.

Suspending QB2 who can potentially be better than QB1 6 months in advance is flat out dumb.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back