Richt Goes In Depth

QSTOKES

Sophomore
Mark Richt goes in-depth on calling plays, coaching Brad Kaaya | Canes Watch

Richt, on how much trust Kaaya will have to run the offense:

“He’ll change a lot of plays. He’ll come to the line of scrimmage with a lot of two-play, three-play combos — this protection or that protection, declare this guy or that guy the Mike linebacker, run this way or that way – but it’s all predetermined according to what he sees. So he’s not just making up a bunch of stuff. He’ll change a play, but he’ll do it because of what we studied and what we planned.”

Richt then rose from his chair to explain what Kaaya won’t do. He assumed a quarterback’s pose, pre-snap, holding his hands out for the ball.

“You’ll see a lot of guys get into the cadence nowadays, they’ll start the cadence and try to get ‘em to jump offsides,” Richt said, mimicking a hard count. “Then he’ll look to the sideline and the coach will tell them what to do. He’s going to know what to do. He may get into his cadence and get them to show their hand, but then he’s going to call the play.

“I like to teach them what to do and where to go with the ball and who to check to, all of that.”

Kaaya looked to the sidelines a lot — as a freshman, especially — under offensive coordinator James Coley.

“It’s a style of a lot of coaches,” Richt said. “A lot of these coordinators, it’s like they’re playing a video game. They’ll get them to do whatever, and they’ll see it – and they do a great job, a lot of them can see it and make the call. But what happens is when you do a lot of that, when you check, then the defense checks. So if I check, I see a look, and now I go here [to the sideline] and I change for the look, now they change it after we change it … now you’re in a guessing game.”

Advertisement
I always hated that check with me **** coordinators love to do. I kind of get it if the kid is a freshman but beyond that? No need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe we are going to see a real offense for the first time in over 10 years. If, and I hope he does without injury, Kaaya plays for 2 years he will have a chance to play for a title in 2017.

Thank god Kaaya won't have to look to the sidelines for every call anymore.

It was laughable the way Coley always had him doing that, especially in the 2 minute drill. I swear we were the only team in America that would get a delay of game in our 2 minute offense.

Kaaya has been criticized by people (I'm one of them) for not coming through in the clutch, or leading a come from behind victory (yet). But the way Coley ran the hurry-up, it really didn't give Kaaya much of a chance. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can do it this year under Richt.

Advertisement

It was laughable the way Coley always had him doing that, especially in the 2 minute drill. I swear we were the only team in America that would get a delay of game in our 2 minute offense.

Kaaya has been criticized by people (I'm one of them) for not coming through in the clutch, or leading a come from behind victory (yet). But the way Coley ran the hurry-up, it really didn't give Kaaya much of a chance. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can do it this year under Richt.

I agree with most of all of this. I want to see, if given the freedom, whether he has that go for the jugular mentality of Walsh and Dorsey.

Mark Richt goes in-depth on calling plays, coaching Brad Kaaya | Canes Watch

Richt, on how much trust Kaaya will have to run the offense:

“He’ll change a lot of plays. He’ll come to the line of scrimmage with a lot of two-play, three-play combos — this protection or that protection, declare this guy or that guy the Mike linebacker, run this way or that way – but it’s all predetermined according to what he sees. So he’s not just making up a bunch of stuff. He’ll change a play, but he’ll do it because of what we studied and what we planned.”

Richt then rose from his chair to explain what Kaaya won’t do. He assumed a quarterback’s pose, pre-snap, holding his hands out for the ball.

“You’ll see a lot of guys get into the cadence nowadays, they’ll start the cadence and try to get ‘em to jump offsides,” Richt said, mimicking a hard count. “Then he’ll look to the sideline and the coach will tell them what to do. He’s going to know what to do. He may get into his cadence and get them to show their hand, but then he’s going to call the play.

“I like to teach them what to do and where to go with the ball and who to check to, all of that.”

Kaaya looked to the sidelines a lot — as a freshman, especially — under offensive coordinator James Coley.

“It’s a style of a lot of coaches,” Richt said. “A lot of these coordinators, it’s like they’re playing a video game. They’ll get them to do whatever, and they’ll see it – and they do a great job, a lot of them can see it and make the call. But what happens is when you do a lot of that, when you check, then the defense checks. So if I check, I see a look, and now I go here [to the sideline] and I change for the look, now they change it after we change it … now you’re in a guessing game.”

OP, thank u for bolding those points. I believe many of us said the same thing....which is y we blew the top off of teams on the first couple of drives...they were scripted designed plays, kept the defense guessing and off balance. Once the script was done and we went into that "check w/ me" crap, defenses ALWAYS made adjustments and you seen us struggle on 3rd downs and the 2nd half.

Such a breath of fresh air to have a real coaching staff, again.

Good to see us finally have a real QB coach who can teach the QB what to do when he sees specific looks.

Go to the LOS with a couple options and based on what the defense shows allow the QB to check to the right play. That's how QB was always played until they started this stupid **** of staring at the sidelines.

This will speed up our offense and stop the defense from switching its look while the QB is staring at the sideline like a clueless dope.

Another thing it will do is make our QBs much more valuable commodities to the NFL than guys who know nothing about playing the position.

AMEN A HUNDRED % AMEN

Advertisement
"It's like they're playing a video game..."

X-Box Coley says, "You mean it's not a video game?"

its hard not to get excited with this coach. certainly he had his shortcomings/limitations at UGA, specifically not winning a title, but he is a very successful coach nevertheless and knows how to really run a program and knows how to coach QBs and call plays. this has landed in our lap.

i dont know whether we will the NC in 16 17 or 18, but i am confident we will be significantly more competent and play better football than in the last 10 years.

That's basically what alot of us have been saying. **** wasted to much time also.....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

That's what excites me the most. We need a competent head coach to win big here, not Vince Lombardi. Also, I think this is a better situation for Richt than Georgia. Just call it a hunch, but I think we're not going to recognize our Canes come September.

its hard not to get excited with this coach. certainly he had his shortcomings/limitations at UGA, specifically not winning a title, but he is a very successful coach nevertheless and knows how to really run a program and knows how to coach QBs and call plays. this has landed in our lap.

i dont know whether we will the NC in 16 17 or 18, but i am confident we will be significantly more competent and play better football than in the last 10 years.

Advertisement
Hopefully they also get rid of the **** where the guard would smack the center to snap the ball. Truly idiotic way to tip the defense off on how to time their rush.

shottas2.gif~c200

I really wish I could like this over and over. So much I am looking forward to NOT seeing next year.
Hopefully they also get rid of the **** where the guard would smack the center to snap the ball. Truly idiotic way to tip the defense off on how to time their rush.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back