Richt fast break offense

Advertisement
His AD at Georgia didn't want him to run that offense. He said it wasn't "Georgia's brand" of football.

Well, the AD certainly got his way. Only Army ran fewer plays per game than Georgia did this year.
That's awful. I question this whole "AD as ogre" narrative at UGA because I don't think the new AD's hiring necessarily lines up with Richt giving up play calling and UGA going to that "football in a phone booth" grinding slow-paced offense.

Maybe Richt was one of the many who saw what Saban was doing and thought he could win championships with that model by "out-Bama'ing" Bama.

You should ... The AD narrative is inaccurate.

From Vince Dooley to Damon Evans to Greg McGarity, the issue for Richt at UGA was mostly with the office of the Presidency.

Michael Adams wanted more fundraising from the HC than Donnan was willing and able to do. Richt was a hot hire, at the time because of where FSU was as a program. He was hired to advance the UGA offense, but not to make it what FSU was. Old UGA money still wanted (wants) the next Hershel Walker, like some Miami fans still want Dorsey and a cover-2 man defense. Richt was young when UGA hired him ... He went along with the plan.

The new UGA president isn't much different from the old. But the new AD does wield more power. He wants to "out Bama" Bama. Basically has the position that Bama's only advantage over UGA is at HC. And hiring Saban's right-hand man should mitigate that. At least, that's the opinion of my UGA fan friends.

We'll see if McGarity is right ...

The SEC unwritten explains why none of those teams have implemented the type of offenses that actually can beat Saban.

Advertisement
The SEC unwritten explains why none of those teams have implemented the type of offenses that actually can beat Saban.

Except auburn

TAMU, Auburn, and Ole Miss are the teams that have given Bama the most trouble ... And all run some variation of up-tempo spread offenses. Throw in Ohio State and Oklahoma, and I think those are the only teams to beat Saban in the last few years.

Interesting article where Richt says that the fast break offense might not work as well as it used to because defenses aren't blitzing against it like before and Charlie Ward and Dunn were really special and might have made the offense better than it was in theory.

Coach Mark Richt on the Shallow Cross Series | Bleacher Report

I saw on some website that DeShaun Watson's family was one of the 150 families that Dunn has helped get into their own new home when he was 11. That's pretty cool.

Advertisement
His AD at Georgia didn't want him to run that offense. He said it wasn't "Georgia's brand" of football.

Well, the AD certainly got his way. Only Army ran fewer plays per game than Georgia did this year.
That's awful. I question this whole "AD as ogre" narrative at UGA because I don't think the new AD's hiring necessarily lines up with Richt giving up play calling and UGA going to that "football in a phone booth" grinding slow-paced offense.

Maybe Richt was one of the many who saw what Saban was doing and thought he could win championships with that model by "out-Bama'ing" Bama.

From Vince Dooley to Damon Evans to Greg McGarity, the issue for Richt at UGA was mostly with the office of the Presidency.

Michael Adams wanted more fundraising from the HC than Donnan was willing and able to do. Richt was a hot hire, at the time because of where FSU was as a program. He was hired to advance the UGA offense, but not to make it what FSU was. Old UGA money still wanted (wants) the next Hershel Walker, like some Miami fans still want Dorsey and a cover-2 man defense. Richt was young when UGA hired him ... He went along with the plan.

The new UGA president isn't much different from the old. But the new AD does wield more power. He wants to "out Bama" Bama. Basically has the position that Bama's only advantage over UGA is at HC. And hiring Saban's right-hand man should mitigate that. At least, that's the opinion of my UGA fan friends.

It comes from a GA high school coach who's got a good rapport with Richt. I don't know how inaccurate it is.

Or 45 dropped passes.
In his seven years as offensive coordinator the Seminoles ranked in the nation’s top five scoring offenses on five occasions, were top twelve in total offense five times and top twelve in passing offense five times. The 2000 Seminoles offense finished the regular season ranked first nationally in total offense (549.0 yards per game), first in passing offense (384.0 ypg) and third in scoring offense (42.4 points per game).

If you recall, Richt left right before the national championship game which resulted in the Noles losing to OU.

he still coached that game, but distraction couldn't have helped anything.

I love everything about Richt's offense from his days at FSU (and early UGA).

I-form pro, SG 2B sets, 4 wide, goaline power football inside the 5.

I'm stoked about this offense. Couple it with Manny's aggressive defense and at the very least I think we'll all be entertained again on Saturdays. I hope Richt is the type to let his guys loose on Saturdays. Let the boys celebrate and talk a little trash.

Advertisement

It comes from a GA high school coach who's got a good rapport with Richt. I don't know how inaccurate it is.

Maybe we're referencing different time periods? Maybe Richt wanted to make some adjustments recently, and your GA high school coach may be accurate? I'm not as connected to UGA sports as I was from 2002-2010. But the overall narrative, for Richt's entire tenure, is not accurate.

When Richt was hired, Micheal Adams made all the decisions regarding the football program. They hired Richt to "modernize" UGA football, but only to a point. And then they transitioned him to a more fundraising role after he was established. Both of those perspectives come from UGA boosters.

Saban has never lost to one of his students. 9-0 I believe.

lol @ McGarity
Richt looked so relieved to have the micromanaging administration at UGA off his back.

"I can't wait to coach again, to be more hands on."
That statement said it all.

I mentioned in another thread yesterday that I'm hoping the hiring of his former FSU player as pass game coordinator foreshadows the installation of the fast break and a departure from the "football in a phone booth" he deployed at UGA. I really think we could destroy **** with a version of that fast break.

I am hoping he will take bits and pieces from both experiences. On the field in between the 20s the Fast break can work effectively. But once we get close to the goal line I would like to see a power running game that is slow, methodical and meticulous. With Big uglies and multiple blockers dominating the opposition.

Reminiscent of what we saw last night.

Advertisement
McGarity loos like a total weirdo.

Just take a look at the dead rat on his head.

Good thing about all the rumors is we will see in a few months how much of that approach was Richt's and how much was the AD's. If Richt plays that same slow grinding football out of tight formations that he ran at UGA then we'll know it was bullshyt.

Advertisement
Back