Richt explains QB decision, talks plan moving forward

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Mark Richt announced this morning that Malik Rosier would be Miami’s starting quarterback for the opener against Bethune-Cookman on September 2nd. Richt said after practice today that he informed the quarterbacks of the decision this morning.

“He (Malik) did stand out above the rest. It wasn’t like an unbelievable amount, but it was apparent that he was having the best camp. Evan did extremely well. I felt like there was enough of a difference to feel comfortable that Malik is the guy,” Richt said.

“That’s the thing I tell them – you keep competing, you keep playing. Even last year, trying to decide who number two was, that thing changed like three times throughout the season. There was times it was Testaverde, there were times it was Evan. That thing changed based on what they’re doing on a daily basis,” he added.

“I told N’Kosi and Cade to keep competing, because you just never know what can happen,” he said.

Although Richt said he did not want quarterbacks splitting series, he also was not counting out multiple QBs playing this season depending on the situation.

“Could a guy get in the game, maybe a series in the first half or something like that? I would consider it because I think guys are capable of that, but I haven’t gone that far yet,” Richt explained.

[TWEET]900017424581480448[/TWEET]

[TWEET]900016348075622401[/TWEET]

Senior receiver Braxton Berrios, who entered Miami in the same recruiting as Rosier, explained how the announcement went down this morning.

“We were out here and it was kinda before practice and we figured he’d (Richt) tell us just to let us know, at least before he told everyone else. We were happy for him. Like I’ve said before, we want the best man to win the job. It’s bittersweet feelings on some ends for a lot of people, but at the end of the day he won the job fair and square and I’m happy for him,” Berrios said.

As practice concluded on Wednesday, reporters herded outside of Greentree practice field could hear a louder and more energetic group than usual as the team concluded morning work – it seemed like a collective sigh of relief.

“I think very much so, just knowing whose the guy is one less question mark. Especially for my guys (receivers), and tight ends, and running backs – they get asked about it every time we have to talk, so it’s finally one more thing we can push under the rug and let’s get this going,” Berrios said.

As both Richt and Berrios noted, there were a few distinct factors that played into Rosier winning the starting job – and Berrios highlighted Malik’s biggest areas of improvement over the last few years.

“His maturity, his decision-making. He’s always had great athleticism, it’s just especially in his younger years it was his decision-making. He’d get flustered or rushed and make bad decisions that you can’t make as a quarterback and turn the ball over. In that aspect, he’s grown tremendously,” Berrios explained.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mark Richt announced this morning that Malik Rosier would be Miami’s starting quarterback for the opener against Bethune-Cookman on September 2nd. Richt said after practice today that he informed the quarterbacks of the decision this morning.

“He (Malik) did stand out above the rest. It wasn’t like an unbelievable amount, but it was apparent that he was having the best camp. Evan did extremely well. I felt like there was enough of a difference to feel comfortable that Malik is the guy,” Richt said.

“That’s the thing I tell them – you keep competing, you keep playing. Even last year, trying to decide who number two was, that thing changed like three times throughout the season. There was times it was Testaverde, there were times it was Evan. That thing changed based on what they’re doing on a daily basis,” he added.

“I told N’Kosi and Cade to keep competing, because you just never know what can happen,” he said.

Although Richt said he did not want quarterbacks splitting series, he also was not counting out multiple QBs playing this season depending on the situation.

“Could a guy get in the game, maybe a series in the first half or something like that? I would consider it because I think guys are capable of that, but I haven’t gone that far yet,” Richt explained.

Senior receiver Braxton Berrios, who entered Miami in the same recruiting as Rosier, explained how the announcement went down this morning.

“We were out here and it was kinda before practice and we figured he’d (Richt) tell us just to let us know, at least before he told everyone else. We were happy for him. Like I’ve said before, we want the best man to win the job. It’s bittersweet feelings on some ends for a lot of people, but at the end of the day he won the job fair and square and I’m happy for him,” Berrios said.

As practice concluded on Wednesday, reporters herded outside of Greentree practice field could hear a louder and more energetic group than usual as the team concluded morning work – it seemed like a collective sigh of relief.

“I think very much so, just knowing whose the guy is one less question mark. Especially for my guys (receivers), and tight ends, and running backs – they get asked about it every time we have to talk, so it’s finally one more thing we can push under the rug and let’s get this going,” Berrios said.

As both Richt and Berrios noted, there were a few distinct factors that played into Rosier winning the starting job – and Berrios highlighted Malik’s biggest areas of improvement over the last few years.

“His maturity, his decision-making. He’s always had great athleticism, it’s just especially in his younger years it was his decision-making. He’d get flustered or rushed and make bad decisions that you can’t make as a quarterback and turn the ball over. In that aspect, he’s grown tremendously,” Berrios explained.

what.jpg

People knock the Arkansas State deal but I think it worked out great in the end. Malik will get some road experience before FSU without too much pressure. He's going to need reps since the competition lasted so long into the fall.

Advertisement
So if Malik balls out does N'kosi Redshirt, or is he the back up plan if Malik gets hurt?

Well since we do have Evan that can also manage the O, I am not sure whether you RS Perry or not. I think the decision will be based on if Perry is for sure the #2 going into next year which I would have to believe he will be. If that is the case, you have to give Perry some snaps this year. Evan seems to be the odd man out. I bet Evan gets some snaps early in the year in garbage time but Perry will eventually take those over.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I like Richt telling them that the #2 can change week to week. I imagine it's tough to stay focused when you're sure you need 2 different guys to get hurt in the same game for you to see the field. Knowing that even though you had a bad week, the team might need you next week should be motivational.

Advertisement

Would Pete or Dmoney care to elaborate on the highlighted portion? Is this in reference to players or fans? If players, I would be interested to know just how some of the other players saw the competition breaking down. Were their preferences personal or performance based? Thanks.

Call me crazy but I am a fan of qbs who are also college caliber baseball players. Have to have phenomenal hand eye coordination and accuracy throwing the ball (even for an outfielder). I think Rosier is going to be a better fit for the RichtPO and will put up outstanding numbers.

Well since we do have Evan that can also manage the O, I am not sure whether you RS Perry or not. I think the decision will be based on if Perry is for sure the [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] going into next year which I would have to believe he will be. If that is the case, you have to give Perry some snaps this year. Evan seems to be the odd man out. I bet Evan gets some snaps early in the year in garbage time but Perry will eventually take those over.

Perry is gonna have to take the #2 position. It won't be early which is good.

If we get unlucky before Perry is ready, Evan goes #1 . He's closest right now.

But second half of season, if Perry takes that #2 spot (I think he will and Richt left that door open in his comments) get him playing time.

Advertisement
Back