Richt and uptempo offense

Cane Fan 4 Life

Freshman
"Offensively, when we don't self-destruct and everyone does what they are supposed to do, we actually had good success on those plays…When you're playing 22 guys, 33 guys, that's going to happen. You'll have some missed assignments, and you've got some new guys.​
Like I told them, in the fall, we'll play one unit. We're going to play the unit that knows what to do and is tough and will play physical and can function well on a consistent basis…​
If that's 14 guys, then I'll go no huddle and I'll go as slow as I've got to go. If it's 25 guys that are ready to rock and roll and play ball, then we may go with tempo and sub and get after it. But we as a staff are only going to play guys we can trust, that they know what to do and they're physical and they'll fight for this university."​
Miami Hurricanes offensive tempo dictated by personnel - FanSided

Advertisement
"But we as a staff are only going to play guys we can trust, that they know what to do and they're physical and they'll fight for this university."

Dang, he is calling some people out right here!

We NEED to run up-tempo with the kind of skill players we have. Tempo tends to mask some OL deficiencies as well. WE also need a QB that can hit a slant or screen consistently in stride and use that "outside-in" passing game to open up the run and keep the pressure off our OL.

Advertisement
The key to going "tempo" is converting on third down. If you come out no huddle and proceed to go three and out, you're just shooting yourself in the foot and killing your defense. Considering Miami was one of the nation's worst third down teams, I'm not surprised to see Richt be a little gun shy. Ideally, I'd like to see a ton of no huddle. Not necessarily the hyper fast 90 play Syracuse offense but a controlled no huddle that doesn't allow defenses to sub to match up better.

or add motion , unbalanced line with TE shifts etc .. to offset D....see lsu vs troy ... motion and bubbles worked well to open it up....troy wasn't nearly as talented....

The key to going "tempo" is converting on third down. If you come out no huddle and proceed to go three and out, you're just shooting yourself in the foot and killing your defense. Considering Miami was one of the nation's worst third down teams, I'm not surprised to see Richt be a little gun shy. Ideally, I'd like to see a ton of no huddle. Not necessarily the hyper fast 90 play Syracuse offense but a controlled no huddle that doesn't allow defenses to sub to match up better.
Yep. Converting 3.6 3rd downs a game just means you're in a hurry to put a tired D back on the field if you're going up tempo. We start converting 3rd downs with the talent we have, up-tempo will be very deadly. It all depends on QB play.

Advertisement
I would add that just as important to the tempo offense is winning FIRST down. 2nd and 4 gives you way more options than 2nd and 11.
This. I don't care who we put under center. If we're still running the ball for 1 yard or no gain on first and 10, we're going to still have a bad 3rd down conversion rate. We ranked just as bad on 3rd down last season as we did the number of times we were 3rd and 6+ yards to gain. Some of that is missing easy quick passes and directly due to having an inaccurate QB, but the indirect cause of being forced into short passes on 1st down is not being able to run the ball. When you've got an inaccurate QB, ideally you'd like to be able to run the ball instead of having your inaccurate QB attempt 44 passes per game.

In 9 of 13 games last season we failed to have a back reach 100 yards, and 4 of those times we failed to have anybody break 50 yards. And don't @ me with that mess about loading the box to stop the run. First of all, there are plenty of top tier football teams who would be easy to beat if you could just stop the run and force their QB to beat you with his arm. Secondly, a team like Pitt shouldn't be able to hold our backs to 16 yards even if they have 15 guys on the field. 16 yards would be an embarrassment against Alabama. That it happened against Pitt has as much to do with Richt questioning his team's toughness as anything else. I think we had like 356 yards passing and 20 rushing from our QB against UNC and only 42 yards of production from our backs and people want to blame that game on the QB. That is foolishness. Our O-line was young, inexperienced, and not very good to begin with last season. They played 10 games without a break and the level of play diminished significantly as the season wore on. If the O-line doesn't see significant improvement expect similar results down the stretch in 2018. Who's at QB won't matter much at all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back