Richt and Spurrier

I was reading some of the Richt threads and thinking about what I thought his Miami tenure, his 2nd act, would be.
And the coach and tenure that kept coming to mind was Spurrier at South Carolina.

Below are his records from UF and USCe (with a lil shoutout to Duke).
The box in red is how I see Richt's tenure here going.

View attachment 66698

9 to 11 win seasons. Some respectable bowl games and respectable bowl wins.
But nothing like his UF tenure, which is what I hoped for Richt initially (and foolishly).

It sucks, but like Spurrier in Sakerlina, it feels like we're on a decade-long, more respectable than remarkable, march toward retirement with Mark Richt. And like South Carolina's AD & BOT, I'm sure our AD and BOT are way more okay with that reality than the fanbase is.
And that sucks. Because we could be SO MUCH MORE.

Richts tenure at UF was way worse then Spurriers at UF so we should expect his second tenure to be even worse than USCe tenure. Regardless, I wouldn't call any of those capital one, outback, chick fil A, independence, bowls respectable.

Advertisement
And when he quit his team still did better than if Wrecked were at the helm.

Have you ever even seen Miami win championships or are you another 12-year-old poster who's just "happy" that we played "hard"?

The 2015 South Carolina team that Spurrier walked out on finished 3-9 overall and 1-7 in the SEC. Oh, and before Spurrier walked out on them they lost to Mark Richt's UGA team with that blue-chipper Greyson Lambert at QB by a score of 52-20.

So yeah, they did great.

Advertisement
Spurrier’s offensive genius seemed to peak in a similar time period as Richt (OC at FSU)....South Carolina’s offense was ****eyed even in the years they had a good record. Spurrier was blamed as he should have been...and then he bailed on his team. He rarely seemed to be satisfied with his QBs At either school, but especially not South Carolina.

Spurrier was a much better QB than Richt, and probably a better playcaller. But he’s just as stubborn and couldn’t find a QB to commit to the craft. Richt deserves the criticism for the play calling, but we need players to step up and prepare & execute well.

Probably a better play caller than Richt?

Yeah, slightly.

Spurrier’s offensive genius seemed to peak in a similar time period as Richt (OC at FSU)....South Carolina’s offense was ****eyed even in the years they had a good record. Spurrier was blamed as he should have been...and then he bailed on his team. He rarely seemed to be satisfied with his QBs At either school, but especially not South Carolina.

Spurrier was a much better QB than Richt, and probably a better playcaller. But he’s just as stubborn and couldn’t find a QB to commit to the craft. Richt deserves the criticism for the play calling, but we need players to step up and prepare & execute well.

As an undergrad from SCAR, let me tell you this objectively: comparing SCAR to the U is an apples to oranges comparison and not even worth making.
SCAR:
- Historically underperformed (See win record during the 90s and early 2000s).
- Summary of program history: George Rogers... ... .... ... Clowney.
- Location with decent, but significantly less talent.
- Always been (other than under Spurrier a couple years) in the shadow of a better program in the state--Clemson.

Compare that Miami:
- Rich history of winning, setting trends, and creating football culture.
- Always been the dominant program in the state (with FSU always close but not quite there).
- More talent around us in just the lower 3rd of the state than we know what to do with.
- Only have only had 3 or so losing seasons since the 60's.
- Absurd record of NFL talent and awards (including 2 Heisman
- 5 (6) nattys.

Make no mistake, Spurrier coming to SCAR is WHY they were good. SCAR is a place where you can have good talent and still need to coach and develop players well to have a chance. Compare that to a team that can be supervised by Coker and still win 10+ games and a natty and where bad coaches like Golden and Shannon rarely had losing seasons.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back