Richt and packaged plays

All ACC
Premium
Packaged Plays and the Newest Form of Option Football «

Anyone know if we run anything like the Ole Miss packaged plays mentioned in the article

For example from the article there are several options built into each play, in one case Hugh Freeze ran the same pay 5 times with 4 different outcomes. QB first does a head count and decides to go run or pass. After that he goes with one of two options in run (Hand off or keep) or pass (Screen or hitch). It allows the offense to run extremely fast and simple. Everyone other than the QB does the exact same thing each play.

Unlike RPO where it's simply a handoff/pass option, forms of package plays require a mobile quarterback to accomplish the QB run aspect of the play.

Advertisement
I don't know either, but wouldn't the D catch on eventually if everybody but the QB is doing the same thing?

I don't know either, but wouldn't the D catch on eventually if everybody but the QB is doing the same thing?

That was just one instance where Freeze called the same play 5 times in a row. You'd usually mix it up. I'm no expert on this was hoping Lu or other X and O's guys can chime in

Advertisement
Not Lu but I would think that Richt would have that available especially considering his stated desire to run uptempo. Personally I love it as something you can run a few series a game to speed things up and keep the defense off balance. Like you said this allows an offense to be efficient in an uptempo/2 min situatuon.

I would add a little twist by running the same play over and over till you know the defense has had a good look then run it again but this time change the route of one of the receivers while everything else about the play is exactly the same. I believe Petrino used to love doing this and literally tormented Shannon with it. I forget the term used for this particular concept. Anyone know what this is called?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back