Richards will play defense if he chooses Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards plays all over the field on both offense and defense for his Wellington High team. If he came to Miami to play at the next level, Richards would be doing more of the same, however the UM staff has finally decided which side of the ball he will mainly focus on.

“We talked about it, they have a certain plan for me if I were to go there,” Richards said. “I would basically be playing more defense, but they will have something for me on offense. Basically, kind of like Jabrill Peppers and they mentioned special teams too.”

However, there is also debate on which specific position he’d play defensively. It seems both of Miami’s defensive backs coaches are fighting over who would get to teach Richards for the next four season if he were to choose the Canes.

“Coach Rumph, he likes my game as a big, physical corner. I feel they love me at safety more though,” Richards said. “Coach Banda he likes my family a lot, we talked a lot. He talked to my mom, my dad and my head coach and he had a lot of great things to say.”

Two weekends back, Richards showed up to Paradise Camp on campus in Coral Gables, and was one of the few top 2019 targets to actually compete at the event, as many that were there sat out. Richards enjoyed the time to continue to build his relationships around the program at Miami and to also improve his game.

“It was a great experience, you know being around all the players that I’m pretty cool with,” Richards said. “I felt like I became a better player, I went and competed as a defensive back. I feel like I got much better being coached up by Coach Banda, I learned some tips. Coach Banda was very impressed with my game, how fluidly I moved for such a big player. Now it’s time for me to focus on the season.”

Of course, the Miami staff wanted to continue to evaluate Richards as a defensive back, and Richards spent most of his night playing safety at Paradise. He also got a lot of looks as a single high safety as the last man in coverage, and he’s becoming more comfortable being left on an island out there.

“Just being able to play with guys like Cornelius Nunn and a whole bunch of other guys [at Paradise], it kind of made it easier for me," Richards said. "I was able to just completely focus on not letting anything get past me. When I played single high safety, really all I did was focus on the deep ball. I feel like I covered the field pretty well, we all had great communication, even though we had never played together before.”

Although the Canes are pushing hard to land the legacy recruit, Richards is obviously being pursued by some other top-level suitors as well.

“Auburn, Florida, and Ohio State,” Richards said. “Ohio State is actually coming very hard at me now. I know they had a little situation going on lately, that was huge. Notre Dame, Texas A&M, South Carolina and LSU too.”

The football season is fast approaching, and Richards’ Wellington squad will face off against Boynton Beach in their kickoff classic in 2 weeks time, before opening up at Royal Palm to start the regular season. Expectations are nothing new for the consensus top 100 prospect, and confidence is high at Wellington that Richards will be able to help deliver a special year.

“Every year we expect a deep run,” Richards said. “I mean we’re a pretty confident team, not many teams know about us. They don’t know who we have because we’re very low key.”

Spending most of his off-season in the weight room has paid off, as Richards lists himself at 6’1” and 205 pounds, saying he’s put on 15 pounds of muscle in preparation for his final year of high school.

“I want to go for 3,000 all-purpose yards,” Richards said. “It’s a lofty goal, but I feel like I can do it, though. I had 2,136 all-purpose yards last season.”

And his message to the Canes fans that have followed his recruitment?

“It’s not to do with me but you can expect a big year. Miami, they’re going to make a run this year.”

(Geo assisted in conducting this interview.)

Advertisement
Hate that we’re trying to convince him to play defense. His heart seems to be on offense.

Hope it doesn’t cost us.

Where did you hear him say his heart is set on offense? Last interview I saw from him he was saying how he isn’t comfortable at WR. Auburn would be the only threat in my option cause they can sell him on being a RB in Gus’ high octane offense.

Advertisement
Sounds like a kid who just wants what's best for him. But right now he sounds like an offensive minded player from all he has been saying throughout the recruiting process. Want him in this class!

Hate that we’re trying to convince him to play defense. His heart seems to be on offense.

Hope it doesn’t cost us.

That is not what the article said. That is not what Richards implied. You think a kid would be mad about playing both ways? The last kid that did that here was Devin Hester. In fact Richards played DB at Paradise, you think the coaches forced him to do that?

Some of ya'll are so shook about the weirdest things.

The only way Richards doesn't come here is if we go 7-5 and the IDPF implodes FIU style taking out a third of the team.

SMFH

Sounds like he & Nunn have chemistry. I wish he would commit and help work on getting more talent like Nunn in the mix for the 18 class. Kids want to play with guys like Richards.

That is not what the article said. That is not what Richards implied. You think a kid would be mad about playing both ways? The last kid that did that here was Devin Hester. In fact Richards played DB at Paradise, you think the coaches forced him to do that?

Some of ya'll are so shook about the weirdest things.

The only way Richards doesn't come here is if we go 7-5 and the IDPF implodes FIU style taking out a third of the team.

SMFH
Too soon for the FIU bridge thing maybe?.?. Should have gone with a Marshall style plane crash killing off the 2 deep.

Advertisement
Kid clearly wants to play Offense. Not sure how I feel about this.

Advertisement

Hope it doesn’t cost us.
Jabril Peppers was one od the most overrated players ever and he was a first round pick because he played both ways. MAR wants to just play and if he wasn't at least slowlt being sold on defense he wouldn't say what he said.

He has said it in the past. His preference is Offense.

Recently he has mentioned defense much more and elaborated how he didn’t feel comfortable at WR. I’m pretty sure Mark Richt who has been recruiting elite athletes for 20 years knows what he is doing.

Advertisement
If he doesnt deel comfortable at wr and has the choice between db and rb yeah db is better for him i mean look at the NFL now

Recently he has mentioned defense much more and elaborated how he didn’t feel comfortable at WR. I’m pretty sure Mark Richt who has been recruiting elite athletes for 20 years knows what he is doing.

Take it easy, cupcake. He loves being a RB. It came from the horses mouth and it’s been reported countless times.

It feels like MAR mentioning Nunn may be a little foreshadowing of things to come. As far as all the worry about us telling him we plan to use him primarily on defense, I understand but that worry is unfounded. We are being straight up with him and not telling him what he wants to hear. Also we are selling him on what the coaches think is his best position moving forward. Both at the college level and professionally.

If any of you have listened to Mark Antony in interviews then you know what a bright young man he is. You would also know that he is a very high character type of individual and my point is that in the end, he will acknowledge and appreciate that honesty. I also believe that he is already beginning to realize that CB/S is where his ultimate money position will be.

Advertisement
Back