Richards updates recruitment, talks about being recruited as a RB to Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Miami Hurricanes legacy recruit and 4-star ATH Mark-Antony Richards has long been at the top of UM’s priority list and has been treated as such by the Canes’ staff. Richards last visited the Canes for the FSU game and, since then, everything has been status-quo between the talented athlete and UM.

“Everything’s still the same,” Richards said of Miami. “Obviously, I still keep my eye on them throughout the season. They’re still in a good position. They’re still a school that I’m comfortable with and I don’t think anything’s really changed.”

In the past, Miami was recruiting Richards as a DB, and the Wellington star even spent Paradise Camp in July exclusively working at safety. However, in the last two months, Miami has begun recruiting Richards at his preferred position of running back.

“Yeah, that’s something they allowed me to do,” Richards said of being looked at as a running back by Miami. “Before it was defensive back, now it is running back. I’m thankful they gave me the opportunity to play my position.”

Just one month until the early signing period, Miami finds themselves in a precarious position at RB after former commit Marcus Crowley decommitted earlier in the week and flipped to Ohio State, leaving UM empty-handed at the position in Surge19. Did Richards ask Miami to be recruited as a running back or did UM come to that decision on their own?

“It’s kind of hard to explain, there’s no one answer,” Richards said. “I would say that running back was my dream position, it’s what I’ve played the longest. They were just respectful with it and they understood.”

As Richards is the new top priority in the position group, UM running backs coach Thomas Brown has now taken the lead in Richards’ recruitment to Coral Gables, but that doesn’t mean their connection has to be built from scratch. Far from it: Richards has actually had a long-standing relationship with Brown that’s going on a few years now.

“He’s a really good dude,” Richards said of Brown. “He’s a guy I met back in my freshman year and he hasn’t changed at all, he’s still the same guy. That’s something I really like - good coach, very cool coach.”

How does the staff at UM feel like Richards will fit in the Miami offense?

“They all feel like I’ll be a good fit in the offense,” Richards said. “They know I can do plenty of things.”

With a loss to Duke last week, Miami dropped down to 5-4 and has had a disappointing season that began with UM pre-season ranked at #8 in the nation. However, the down year has not impacted Richards’ view of the Canes in the slightest.

“No, not at all,” Richards said. “If you have a bad year, as a recruit, I think that would only make me want to come in there and help change it around if anything. I don’t think that would push me away or anything, though. But the season’s not over yet. I’m pretty sure those guys are going to be locked in and go back to playing Miami football.”

The 6’1” 205 pounder took his first official visit of the cycle two weeks back, flying up to Happy Valley with his family to see what Penn State had to offer. Richards saw the Nittany Lions take down Iowa and spent his time furthering his relationship with PSU RB coach Ja’Juan Seider (who he’s known since 9th grade) and others on the Penn State staff.

“It was just different. I kind of got a different vibe from those guys up there,” Richards said of PSU. “That was my first time ever being that far up north, so obviously the weather was different for me. The gameday atmosphere was something that definitely caught my eye. Just hearing the chants and seeing how passionate the fans are. Coach Seider, him being from the same area my family is from, that’s something that definitely stuck out. I’m comfortable with coach Seider, he’s someone that I can trust. Also coach Franklin, very good dude – really the whole staff was just great people, really great to me and my family.”

Back in August, Richards narrowed down his top 5, naming Miami, PSU, UF, Tennessee, and Auburn to the quintet. Although Richards had planned to make his second official visit to Auburn last weekend, he was unable to make the trip.

“I’ll definitely still be up there,” Richards said of Auburn. “I plan to get up there in December.”

Even though the early signing period is fast approaching, Richards is certain that he won’t be making a decision at that time.

“I’m planning on making on making my final decision in February on National Signing Day,” Richards said.

It’s playoff season in South Florida football and Richards’ Wellington squad just squeaked into the 8A bracket after finishing at 6-4 on the year. First up, Wellington will get their chance at revenge on rival Palm Beach Central, who dominated the Wolverines in their early season matchup by a score of 52-10.

“The season’s going pretty well - the team, we’re doing good. We can always do better though,” Richards said. “We made it to the playoffs, and that’s pretty hard to get into with the new system and stuff. But we made it in, so now is when the real work starts. We have a winning mentality, we just want to win. Ain’t got no choice but to win and have a good sendoff for our seniors… I can’t wait to get out there and show what I can do.”

Advertisement
Good job from the staff to allow him to play rb we just need this kid ... similar to dj Dallas just get him on campus and the rest will fall into place.

If he’s not signing in December then
We need to bring him in on an official visit in January

Last edited:
Advertisement
He is not coming, is not rocket science.. neither of the legacies! They know better than anyone the issues on the locker room and the environment.

Once Brown gets fired or demoted he'll realize just how bad things are.

I think this one is pretty simple. If he doesn’t end up here, AR either pushed him away or flat out said don’t come.

Advertisement
At this point, why would any talented offensive recruit come to Miami?

Nobody is chomping at the bit to play in this putrid unimaginative offense

He’s not coming. He’s obviously looking for a reason not to commit to Miami. When I read “nothing has changed” between him and Miami, that tells me we are ****ed. It’s November, If he were on board, he would commit by now. Plus, with the Locker Room issues, that can’t help. What a **** show.

Advertisement
He’s not coming. He’s obviously looking for a reason not to commit to Miami. When I read “nothing has changed” between him and Miami, that tells me we are ****ed. It’s November, If he were on board, he would commit by now. Plus, with the Locker Room issues, that can’t help. What a **** show.

Some of these kids don' want to go to Miami it is what it is. Need to find more coaches like Coach Kool who took Jags and turned them into players!

His brother told him not to commit until NSD like he did

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back