Rhett Lashlee as a coach (not play caller)

BoxingRobes

Junior
For the sake of more information --

Here are some excerpts from a The Athletic article from when Lashlee started at SMU. This is more of a look into how Lashlee runs practice and some of his off-the-field habits.

--
On putting together the offense:
"For now, this spring is about mixing the two coaches’ styles to best fit the players. Dykes comes from the Mike Leach tree, with a pass-heavy Air Raid attack. Lashlee comes from Gus Malzahn’s system, which is more about tempo and running the ball."

"...but the opportunity to work with Dykes at SMU while still getting to run the offense, plus living closer to family in Arkansas, made it very appealing.

Working together, the third and final focus of the past six weeks has been piecing together the offense.

“When I got the job, my vision offensively is a little bit our passing game with Rhett’s running game, and the play-action passes they do well, blending the two together,” Dykes says. “I wanted to hire someone with a strong background running the ball, which they did at Auburn. Quarterback run, play-action pass off that, I thought we could blend the two together, the Air Raid with that run game.”"
--
On practice:
"...and Lashlee takes over, pulling up Auburn tape to go over the kinds of drills he’s planning.

In one drill, the emphasis is on tempo and reading the sideline quickly to line up again. Four plays take you into the end zone as quickly as possible, then the players celebrate, and they have to sprint off the field. Those last two parts sound insignificant, but Lashlee makes it clear they’re not.

“These things they think are stupid, we’ll emphasize,” Lashlee tells the coaches. “Because they matter.”"
--
On the Day-to-Day:
"With the meeting complete and the practice script laid out, the offensive staff heads out to the practice fields next to Gerald J. Ford Stadium, where the lines are in the process of being painted. Lashlee’s offensive field will have red lines, something he hasn’t seen before.

To hit the ground running on the first day of practice, coaches go over every detail with the equipment staff. How many balls will the quarterbacks need? Six to 10. Gru needs 20 for his receivers. Offensive line coach Jamal Powell heads to the far side of the field to see what sleds are available and how they’ll be positioned in the end zone. Director of equipment operations Albert Veytia writes it all down.

Throughout the day, the theme in everything the staff does is that every minute matters. Tempo and efficiency aren’t just about the plays."
--
On installing the offense:

"And as for those plays, players don’t show up and get handed a big binder anymore. The days of physical playbooks are over for many college programs. Instead, they get iPads that include drawings of plays and a lot of the film the coaches are looking over on this day, to see how things are supposed to be done.

The visual learning aspect has become a bigger part of the process over the past decade, as technology has made it easier to tailor different teaching styles to different players.

Coaches have spent the limited allowable time introducing some concepts, but Day 1 of spring practice is just Day 1 of installation. They won’t be throwing the whole system at the players. Lashlee says spring ball will be vanilla, mostly focusing on tempo and basic concepts.

“Until we get through spring, they’re looking at Auburn, Connecticut cut-up to know what it’s supposed to look like,” he says. “Then you show them a drawing and go out and do it.”

The next day, the Mustangs will hit the field for the first time with their new staff. Coaches will really learn what their players can do. The actual football is here, and the next phase in the offseason is underway.

“You want to leave after those 15 days with your guys knowing the core foundation of your offense,” Lashlee says. “That way, throughout the summer on their own, they can build on that. You get back into fall camp and have that foundation, and then you can expand to do more off that. … Just getting to learn each kid, learn what they need to improve on, what they do well. We’ll come out of spring knowing our core system, but here’s how we need to tailor it to the personnel.

“That’s all coaching is — putting your guys in position to be successful.”"

Advertisement
“ Just getting to learn each kid, learn what they need to improve on, what they do well. We’ll come out of spring knowing our core system, but here’s how we need to tailor it to the personnel.

“That’s all coaching is — putting your guys in position to be successful.”

Man it’s really this easy, yet it’s been so hard for us as a program to find coaches who work with what they have.

Advertisement
This makes me believe that we are going to clean house on the offensive side. And if we don't than we're setting him up for failure. Considering the coaching options that were probably available to Lashlee, I doubt he agrees to come to Miami unless he was assured he can do it his way.

You can't come in and completely overhaul an offense to install something as radical as Lashlee's offense without having people that are on your same wave length. I think we all know Barry is basically gone no matter what. But this makes me think that Stubblefield, Field, and even Hickson will be let go. Maybe they find something else for Field.

Advertisement
Back