Rhett Lashee - ECU @ UCONN 2017

Moonman

иди нахуй
lzn6qglvb5ytyr7qzrda

Rhett Lashlee took a $250k pay cut when he left Auburn to be the OC at UCONN under Randy Edsall in 2017, after having been under Gus Malzahn's wing for almost 20 years. He played for Malzahn in HS, winning two state championships, and coached for Malzahn at Springdale HS, Arkansas St and Auburn. His first short stint as an OC was at Samford in 2011. In 2016 Malzahn handed him the play calling duties at Auburn after a disappointing 2-2 start. Auburn would win the next 5 games by an average score of 43-13. At UCONN he was given complete autonomy over the offense by Edsall, a defensive coach. UCONN was 122nd in the country in total offense in 2016, the year before Lashlee's arrival. In 2017 UCONN finished ranked 50th in total offense behind the arm of Bryant Shierreffs...brother of former UM QB Evan Shierreffs. UCONN's best offensive performance of the 2017 season came at home against ECU in a disappointing loss. I wanted to see Lashlee call plays on his own without the influence of Malzahn or Sonny Dykes, an air-raid disciple, who he would coach under at SMU. I'm sure Lashlee picked up a few things from Dykes while at SMU but I wanted to see an untainted version of Lashlee's play calling...and the 2017 ECU game is probably the pinnacle of that IMO. ECU burst out to a 27-7 lead in the 1st half before Lashlee would catch fire. His play calling was masterful beginning with the final minutes of the first half and ending unfortunately with a missed FG at the end of the game. The video below is definitely worth your time.

Advertisement
lzn6qglvb5ytyr7qzrda

Rhett Lashlee took a $250k pay cut when he left Auburn to be the OC at UCONN under Randy Edsall in 2017, after having been under Gus Malzahn's wing for almost 20 years. He played for Malzahn in HS, winning two state championships, and coached for Malzahn at Springdale HS, Arkansas St and Auburn. His first short stint as an OC was at Samford in 2011. In 2016 Malzahn handed him the play calling duties at Auburn after a disappointing 2-2 start. Auburn would win the next 5 games by an average score of 43-13. At UCONN he was given complete autonomy over the offense by Edsall, a defensive coach. UCONN was 122nd in the country in total offense in 2016, the year before Lashlee's arrival. In 2017 UCONN finished ranked 50th in total offense behind the arm of Bryant Shierreffs...brother of former UM QB Evan Shierreffs. UCONN's best offensive performance of the 2017 season came at home against ECU in a disappointing loss. I wanted to see Lashlee call plays on his own without the influence of Malzahn or Sonny Dykes, an air-raid disciple, who he would coach under at SMU. I'm sure Lashlee picked up a few things from Dykes while at SMU but I wanted to see an untainted version of Lashlee's play calling...and the 2017 ECU game is probably the pinnacle of that IMO. ECU burst out to a 27-7 lead in the 1st half before Lashlee would catch fire. His play calling was masterful beginning with the final minutes of the first half and ending unfortunately with a missed FG at the end of the game. The video below is definitely worth your time.

Such entertaining OL action. On one RZ play (failed because QB had no patience), Left Guard and Right Guard pull off a jet sweep play action to the field side to lead for the QB keeper to the boundary. God bless D'Eriq King. If he's healthy, he may run for 18 TDs.

lotta action.png

Such entertaining OL action. On one RZ play (failed because QB had no patience), Left Guard and Right Guard pull off a jet sweep play action to the field side to lead for the QB keeper to the boundary. God bless D'Eriq King. If he's healthy, he may run for 18 TDs.

View attachment 119333

I was thinking of King and Jordan the whole video. King would've run wild and Lashlee definitely used that TE a lot (kid looked pretty good too).

Advertisement
Screen game was killing in this game too.. Until last drive when defense was more in prevent mode. That last play before fg was probably one too many at that point with time winding down. Never depend on kickers unless you have to. Take a shot in endzone to win it.

Great calls all game tho, manufactured points with defense getting lit up.

9 things I saw that I liked.

1. used multiple ways to get number 23 the ball. very creative.
2. our guards better be in shape and play well. guard play on screens and misdirection all the time.
3. lots of easy throws for an accurate QB to make; Sherrifs sucks worse than his brother.
4. at the end of each play, players were up right away and in formation ready for the next play.
5. a ton of lateral pressure on the D. constant.
6. first play of the game is a bomb. shows confidence and ballz.
7. short quick plays in space that would allow a very good back to break a tackle and make a big play.
8. play after play goes for at least 5 yards.
9. creates lots of room for a good running QB to thrive.

Advertisement
Thank you for posting OP.

I've been encouraging people all offseason since January to do their research on Lash, unfortunately most of our fans are scared & just want to mope & cry all year in the fetal position...

If you're wondering where the excitement I've had all year since we got Lashlee is coming from, it's because of shìt like this. He's a legitimate proven play caller & play designer that has manufactured productivity everywhere he's been regardless of talent level.

His use of tempo, his creativity in the run game & high proficient passing scheme with mediocre talent is still potent, now give him a high caliber athletically gifted QB with 4.5 speed, a RB stable filled with high 4-star talent, a WR group filled with 4-stars & the most stacked TE group in the country, what do you think he's gonna do with that??

If the season goes off without a hitch Lash/King & company are going to light the Coastal up, IDGAF who don't agree.

Last edited:
I was thinking of King and Jordan the whole video. King would've run wild and Lashlee definitely used that TE a lot (kid looked pretty good too).

Don't forget about Mallory! He's got all the skills too if he can put it together.

Don't forget about Mallory! He's got all the skills too if he can put it together.

Mallory IMHO has potential, but to date that is all. He has not shown to be a reliable pass catcher espcially in critical situations and his blocking is poor and weak. I think Hodges leapfrogs him this year. He might be one of those guys that needs a full 4 years to get it together, because he certainly has the physical attributes as you said.

Mallory IMHO has potential, but to date that is all. He has not shown to be a reliable pass catcher espcially in critical situations and his blocking is poor and weak. I think Hodges leapfrogs him this year. He might be one of those guys that needs a full 4 years to get it together, because he certainly has the physical attributes as you said.

Rooting for him

Advertisement
We'll be getting all this plus the added advantage of Air Raid passing concepts. If there is a weakness in the Gus Malzahn HUNH offense it's the lack of variety in the passing game. It's why his offenses tend to struggle with pocket passers more than when he's got a really athletic guy under center. We've seen Lashlee work his magic with Shireffs and Buchelle and neither of those guys would get confused for Nick Marshall.

We'll be getting all this plus the added advantage of Air Raid passing concepts. If there is a weakness in the Gus Malzahn HUNH offense it's the lack of variety in the passing game. It's why his offenses tend to struggle with pocket passers more than when he's got a really athletic guy under center. We've seen Lashlee work his magic with Shireffs and Buchelle and neither of those guys would get confused for Nick Marshall.
to succeed with Nick Marshall was an amazing feet as well. I think I can throw the ball farther than he could, and I'm 43, 5'11 and nonathletic.

He played very well when starting the games Jordan missed. The last four games of the season he had 13 catches for 223 yards. Most of his production tends to get ignored because they lost three of those four games but he played pretty well. Especially considering a lot of guys on the offense had thrown in the towel by the end of the year.

Advertisement
I see 2 sides here:

The Good - The 1st play shows the type of talent Lashlee was working with at UConn. Perfect call, WR running wide open for an easy TD, and QB completely misses him

The Bad - ECU was 130th in Defense in 2017. Dead last. ECU gave up 45 pts per game and UConn put up 38. If we're hyping up Lashlee, this game wouldn't be where I'd start.

Thank you for posting OP.

I've been encouraging people all offseason since January to do their research on Lash, unfortunately most of our fans are scared & just want to mope & cry all year in the fetal position...

If you're wondering where the excitement I've had all year since we got Lashlee is coming from, it's because of shìt like this. He's a legitimate proven play caller & play designer that has manufactured productivity everywhere he's been regardless of talent level.

His use of tempo, his creativity in the run game & high proficient passing scheme with mediocre talent is still potent, now give him a high caliber athletically gifted QB with 4.5 speed, a RB stable filled with high 4-star talent, a WR group filled with 4-stars & the most stacked TE group in the country, what do you think he's gonna do with that??

If the season goes off without a hitch Lash/King & company are going to light the Coastal up, IDGAF who don't agree.

Between Chaney , Lashlee and king we’re leading quite the bandwagons. Maybe we should unite the bandwagons? Cribberty City EL? Libcribby City EL? Liberty Cribby EL? Liberty City El cribby?

Whatever , we have time to figure it out.

Rhett with his two compadres ( Justice and Likens ) is the best we have had in the last to decades and our highest hope in the last 17 years. I looks forward for the Leap this year

I see 2 sides here:

The Good - The 1st play shows the type of talent Lashlee was working with at UConn. Perfect call, WR running wide open for an easy TD, and QB completely misses him

The Bad - ECU was 130th in Defense in 2017. Dead last. ECU gave up 45 pts per game and UConn put up 38. If we're hyping up Lashlee, this game wouldn't be where I'd start.

ECU was really bad on defense but they did play a murderer's row of offensive juggernauts and teams that were just way more talented than them that year. They gave up 56 to West Virginia, 64 to Virginia Tech, 61 to USF, 63 to UCF and 70 to Memphis. That will warp your scoring defense a bit.

Advertisement
Back