rewatching the game, some 1st half missed opportunities..

k9cane

Senior
it's interesting, as you watch the game without the nervousness and emotion, you notice different things. But a few aspects stand out about the first half offensive woes...

- 1st play of the game, Walton gets an inside run and he actually gets a nice 5, 6 yard gain as he is allowed to just run in a straight line. Those runs to the outside, Walton was simply too hobbled to be effective without the real ability to hit it up in there with hard cutbacks. North-South runs he was still pretty good but his jump-cut game was severly restricted here.(BTW, if his last big play as a Miami Hurricane is that big tackle on that 4th quarter punt return, to me, it's symbolic of what he's all about. That guy is a Kellen Winslow Jr-like soldier)

- 2nd drive of the game, 3rd and 1, after a timeout. We set up a perfect bootleg/waggle play where Herndon is wide open for a first down and at least a 10 to 15 yard gain but Rosier flubs one over his head. Big missed opportunity right there. Nice play-call, terrible execution

- Also next drive, Rosier throws a really nice 50-50 ball downfield to Lawrence Cager who mis-times his jump and doesn't come up with it. That was a play that he's in there for and it set the tone of his game. But again, that was a good ball from Malik, he did his part. Im not going to give up on Cager, but he needs to do some soul searching as a player and this is where Coach Dugans has to both coach and cajole this guy.

-While the Oline couldn't get much of a push in the run game till the very last drive or so, honestly, I thought they were very good in setting a nice clean pocket for Rosier for the most part. I thought they kept Rosier clean back there against the best front four on the schedule, IMO.(which probably isnt being talked about, the FSU unit probably has the most NFL talent on that side of the ball of any team we'll face - till Clemson in the ACC title game, of coure). I believed they would give up at least four or five sacks this game.

- Not sure Richt really wants to do this, but we should run a few more designed runs for Rosier. He has a knack of just getting positive yardage and not getting mauled.

- Going back to the early part of the game, the one formation/personnel grouping I found interesting - and liked - was going four wide, two WRs to each side and Jeff Thomas as the lone running back as Rosier was in the gun and we threw a flare out to Thomas in the flat. Now, the play was stuffed by a quick reacting Noles unit. But Im not so concerned about the result but the concept or idea of trying to get a young playmaker into space. I'd love to see more of this kinda stuff.

- Berrios, I'll say it again, we need to get him going more often earlier in games and let him really work out of the slot with those options routes. In many other offenses he'd have 75 grabs and would be an incredible chain mover. As for Richards, is it just me or do we have him run a very limited pass route tree? And since he runs so many slants, why wasn't a sluggo route or two called for him?

- As for the defense, yeah, they had some busts that we've talked ad naseum about but they really kept Miami in this game the first 3 quarters.

- That's all I have, can't wait to get to So Florida this Wednesday night. Lets go Canes....

-

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nice write-up.

I haven't rewatched yet, but I remember the second play of the game was a screen pass that seemed to be set up nicely, but Rosier threw the ball right in the DE's belly.

If he lobs it over his head, Walton appeared to have room.

I need to take a closer look, but I think there were a quite a few instances where Malik had the checkdown, but chose to take a deeper shot when the play just wasn't there.

He needs to learn that it's okay to take 3 and 4 yards to make the down-and-distances more manageable.

Nice write-up.

I haven't rewatched yet, but I remember the second play of the game was a screen pass that seemed to be set up nicely, but Rosier threw the ball right in the DE's belly.

I need to take a closer look, but I think there were a quite a few instances where Malik had the checkdown, but chose to take a deeper shot when the play just wasn't there.

He needs to learn that it's okay to take 3 and 4 yards to make the down-and-distances more manageable.

Able, that one play in the 2nd quarter near midfield that he threw into the dirt because he saw Derwin James on 3rd down is a perfect example, Herndon sat down and was wide open for a first down and a nice gain. Herndon is criminally underused in this offense

That's the frustrating part, Njoku had a great year last year. Either the routes for the TE have changed or Rosier isn't looking his way.

It'd be nice to see them run Thomas on some wheel routes, not just out into the flats. Looks like Dallas is going to be getting into the RB rotation, based on the interview this morning on WQAM.

Advertisement
Nice write-up.

What actually happened was the d end/tackle blew up our online and bull rushed him into Walton. Walton couldn't even break out of the pocket.

That's the frustrating part, Njoku had a great year last year. Either the routes for the TE have changed or Rosier isn't looking his way.

Herndon made big time plays in that 2nd to last td drive. Rosier missed him on 2 plays in the game that would have went for big yardage

- Not sure Richt really wants to do this, but we should run a few more designed runs for Rosier. He has a knack of just getting positive yardage and not getting mauled.

I think that's an underrated skill to have especially if you're a somewhat mobile QB. It's something I've noticed with a guy like Alex Smith this season or even Dak Prescott. Whenever they scramble they rarely take bad hits. They know when to get down, when to go out of bounds, how to slide, how to position their body, etc. Compare them to someone like Marcus Mariota who gets lit up every single **** time he runs.

Being able to pick up 5 yards on a busted play is huge. Doing that and knowing how to avoid a big hit can frustrate a defense.

I agree, in the emotionless hindsight of reviewing a victory, I don't have an issue with playcalling to the extent others do, or did during the game.

There's some things we could have done better strategically, there always will be, but a lot of the miscues early in the game were poor execution rather than poorly called.

I do agree that we should have used Homer a bit more earlier, but Walton's situational awareness in pass protection saved a lot of the plays we did make in the throwing game.

I think we could have been a little more creative in how we used Herndon. There were some mismatches to be had we weren't attacking.

The passing game seems to be very simple and predicated upon the idea that simple reads and good fundamentals will let athleticism take over. I would like to see us use motion and vary our personnel a little more to tip things in our favor, however, that adds complexity. I'm getting the impression that this offense is being called strictly based on what we are 80% certain Rosier will do well.

If that's the case, it is working. He missed more than we'd like to have seen, but nothing catastrophic occured.

In essence, yes, the defenses won't be shocked with anything we do, but they also can't contain Berrios and Richards all game either. We need a third to step up though.

I agree about Cager. He was overwhelmed.

Advertisement

that's the thing, for as good as Njoku is, he only had like 43 catches last season(and yeah, he had a good number of drops, too) but he wasn't targeted all that much over a 13 game span. Regardless, Herndon when he gets the ball makes things happen. He made some big plays on that second-to-last drive wit his speed and athleticism

Advertisement
Back