Revisiting the Gruden fiasco

Martycane

Sophomore
Has anyone ever figured out what happened in 2010?
Even a very good reporter I know -- not connected to the S. Fla media -- was tweeting it.
Was there a grain of truth? Did someone inside Hecht think it was true and started leaking it?
Did Gruden's side leak it? Or was it just echo-chamber bogus from start to finish?

Advertisement
Did the two ever even speak ? Nobody's ever really figured out, or shared, what, if anything, happened.

It's was a lie/rumor which took a life of its own.

Lots of trolling, fake insiders, and gullible fans fueled the situation at a time when Twitter and other social networks were first taking off.

The rumor actually got back to Gruden, and he was thankful we wanted him so bad, but it was never a real possibility.

Advertisement
Very strange incident. A good lesson to keep in mind as we go through this current process.
Maybe Gruden's agent was playing the leverage game.

Would love for someone to do a story on this. After that fiasco, I will never take seriously what I read online about coaching searches.

Advertisement
My favorite part was how the sticking point was Jay Gruden as the head coach in waiting. I think that was a deal breaker.

I thought it was a done deal as well. Signed, sealed & delivered! Our local paper, The Tampa Bay Times, has a free daily spinoff paper called the *tbt and they ran a full back page story about him being our new coach. I talked so much **** that day at work, only to have my heart broken about a day later!

I saw it scroll across espn on the bottom line. I thought it was a done deal. I was so happy. Then it just never happened and we got stuck with AL.

Advertisement
My favorite part was how the sticking point was Jay Gruden as the head coach in waiting. I think that was a deal breaker.

Notice how the HCIW has risen in this search? Whoever is hired will have Mario on staff in that role ... Lol

Would love for someone to do a story on this. After that fiasco, I will never take seriously what I read online about coaching searches.

"What if I told you: things that seem too good to be true, are actually not?"
ESPN 30 for 30 presents: Gruden to Miami, directed by Lake Lewis."

I could be wrong but my recollection is that the rumor was started by that cvette guy who had just started his own "insider" website. He posted a "pop the champaigne" image on his homepage claiming that Gruden to UM was a done deal and from there it took on a life of its own, including the now infamous Lake Lewis tweet.

As recently as two years ago he was still claiming that his info was legit and that a deal was in place but Gruden backed out at the last minute. Personally I think it was all bullsh*t and click bait to get people to his website.

Advertisement
I could be wrong but my recollection is that the rumor was started by that cvette guy who had just started his own "insider" website. He posted a "pop the champaigne" image on his homepage claiming that Gruden to UM was a done deal and from there it took on a life of its own, including the now infamous Lake Lewis tweet.

As recently as two years ago he was still claiming that his info was legit and that a deal was in place but Gruden backed out at the last minute. Personally I think it was all bullsh*t and click bait to get people to his website.

Yep, and that's the story.

Is that Cvette guy still around?

Is that Cvette guy still around?

I think he was around here under a different (surprise!) handle.
I vaguely recall him being outed this past January when the usual cast
of "insiders" were claiming Golden was going to get fired within days.

Advertisement
Back