Revisiting 2018 Class

Gurvan flashes, he is just so inconsistent.

It’s like his heart isn’t all the way into the game,

He has the tools. I rewatched the bowl game, and he made some plays. His closing speed on the bogus horse collar call was very good.

Advertisement
The fact that only 3-4 guys out of 23 did anything is a huge problem.

big time miss evals.

Reed, Hightower, Lingard, Pope, and Jarren are major major major busts.

Put wiggins in the bust category where he belongs. But I'd say its fair to claim we hit on roughly 40% of 2018 class, 60% hit rate would've been ideal. Losing ezzard and bethel didn't seem big at the time but it'd be real nice to have those two right now.

Advertisement
This class was a Top 10 class and came after our 10-3 2017 season. We signed 23 players

Tier 1 - Guys who have lived up to or exceeded their talent or on track to (8)

- Greg Rousseau
- Brevin Jordan
- Will Mallory
- Jordan Miller

Borderline Tier 1-2 - Need to See More
- Cam'Ron Harris
- Gilbert Frierson
- Al Blades
- Nesta

Tier 2 - Disappointing so far but have shown signs at times (6)

- DJ Ivey
- DJ Scaife
- John Campbell
- Mark Pope
- Gurvan Hall
- Dee Wiggins

Tier 3 - Busts/JAGs (9)

- Lorenzo Lingard
- Jarren Williams
- Brian Hightower
- Bubba Baxa
- Marquez Ezzard
- Cleveland Reed
- Nigel Bethel
- Realus George
- Patrick Joyner

The 2020 season and 2021 class is starting to feel very similar. I pray we don't waste this much talent again due to bad coaching, culture, and evaluations

I wouldn't categorize Hightower and Ezzard quite yet. Neither played much as true freshmen. Ezzard sat out for his transfer year in 2019 and Hightower left UM part of the way into the 2019 season. Both are at new schools, and I think they both have 3 more years to play, so they might yet develop into something more than busts/JAGs.

Advertisement
Hightower had 11 catches this year, Ezzard had 9. Neither is doing much of anything but we could have used anybody at WR this year. Hightower is technically going into his senior season for 2021 as he was never red shirted. Ezzard will be a junior.

Bethel played in three games at Colorado and had three tackles. I guess having some depth at corner would be nice but this isn’t “good” depth. He could have helped as a return guy.

He has the tools. I rewatched the bowl game, and he made some plays. His closing speed on the bogus horse collar call was very good.
Very much so. He's never flashed 'superstar', which I thought he had the opportunity to be, but I've definitely watched him the last few years and thought "yep, that's solid S play. Good job Gurvan." quite a number of times.

Unfortunately there's just been too many times where I've thought
Oh No What GIF by Identity

I honestly don't remember him flashing all that much this year.

Advertisement
Had these young men been given solid coaching and schemes that made them shine. The opinions of them by many of people on here would be different.

Sure there will be guys that just don't pan out but I'm sick of seeing our guys looking like it's their 1st game in pads 11 games into a season or 3 years into their career.

Southridge class of 2018...Pope, Scaife, Wiggins.

*reaches for Alka-Seltzer*

Advertisement
He means 2020 looks to be a good year on the field with a strong class by ranking to follow. He's implying the 2018 class fell short of expectations so far and that he hopes 2021 is the one that helps us take the next step towards competing for the playoff.
Immediate impact would be a welcomed category to actually fill. Just one off the charts WR. And Garcia. Yeah.

That's a very high rate of busts and jags. Remember it was supposed to be the Duke Johnson Class of 2012, then it was that 2018 class. And now im hearing the same things about this 2021 class. Piling pressure on kids without taking into account the coaching or lack thereof.

That's a very high rate of busts and jags. Remember it was supposed to be the Duke Johnson Class of 2012, then it was that 2018 class. And now im hearing the same things about this 2021 class. Piling pressure on kids without taking into account the coaching or lack thereof.
the high bust rate is mostly a function of terrible evals. not a defense of bad coaching but even with the bad coaching we’ve had kids get to the pros. look at coker’s ‘04 class - it was rated a top 3 class and was in fact the single worst class in the history of Um football and probably the biggest bust class compared to rating in the history of college football. meanwhile, kids we’re going from miami to the pros back then and even did well in the pros - beason, calais campbell, greg olsen being just three examples.

Advertisement
Back