Return Game

Mr. Dynasty1

Junior
When was the last time ours was a serious threat? Punt returns are just a fair catch waiting to happen. I don’t know if the blocking is the problem or if the guys back there just haven’t been skilled enough. Seems like we get a return TD once every other year or something

Advertisement
After watching the TCU-OSU game and seeing bonehead special teams plays the last few years across the Nation...

... I am just happy to have someone back there who makes the right decision, catches the ball and never drops it.

With punts it seems like we go for the block the majority of the time which results in fair catch after fair catch. It's a very low odds play, I'd like to see us set up a return a little more often and go for a block every once in a while.

We may as well come after every punt because there's almost no chance it's returned. I'm starting to think there's something seriously wrong with how our kick return teams asked to block, there's almost never a crease.

Advertisement
Look forward to this thread devolving into bashing Berrios for calling fair catches when that's exactly what he should do.

When was the last time ours was a serious threat? Punt returns are just a fair catch waiting to happen. I don’t know if the blocking is the problem or if the guys back there just haven’t been skilled enough. Seems like we get a return TD once every other year or something

Kickers are kicking it higher. Need more pressure.

Advertisement
I'm not crazy about our kick coverage, we should be killing folks on KO return, just not doing that.

Berrios hasn't really had an opportunity to return a punt TBH. Lots of punts with hang time. Our KR leaves a lot to be desired right now.

Advertisement
I'm not crazy about our kick coverage, we should be killing folks on KO return, just not doing that.

Really . and this is based on what. the average return last week on KO's for the P5 schools was ball spotted on the 18 yard line. 7 yards short of the automatic spot at the 25. 5 returns resulted a turn over. I couldn't find any that were run back for a TD.

Advertisement
Brax knows what he is doing back there on punts. He is a security blanket back there and he can bust one up if it is there for the taking.
He is the smartest choice to have back there.
No need to try to make something out of nothing and muff it or end up inside the 5 yard line. I'm fine with a fair catch instead of a dumb play.
Thomas will come around.

With punts it seems like we go for the block the majority of the time which results in fair catch after fair catch. It's a very low odds play, I'd like to see us set up a return a little more often and go for a block every once in a while.

Yup.

If we had some guys that had a knack for getting blocks it would make more sense, but the odds aren't good and there's the additional risk of drawing a roughing penalty.

There hasn't been a legit KR threat since Lamar Miller. Thomas had some creases on a couple of the returns Saturday, but wasn't running at full speed. Hopefully he just needs a confidence boost. Berrios had no chances Sat.

Advertisement
Back