Respect!

Advertisement
And a father figure to many young black Americans. The very best. I know there is a thread of JT already but this photo deserves its own thread. Please keep this up mods if you don’t mind...
So he wasn't a father to kids of other races? That would be a shame if he was biased to only one group of players....

Advertisement
There was never and there will never again be as many Legendary Coaches and Teams as there were in the Big East. My Frat Bros and I would huddle around a 32" Black and White Sylvania TV smoking reefer and drinking malt liquor on every Big East broadcast. Big John Thompson and Nolan Richardson at Arkansas were the two AA coaches that made the greatest impact on the game. Now the top AA players turn their backs on AA coaches like they are Al Golden. If you gonna be one and done why the **** does it matter where you play, not like you dedicated to the team or school.

Back then he was a father figure to black Americans - make no mistake about that. And a much needed father figure. Come on - where are you coming from with this ****?
I think John Thompson was a father figure to every kid he coached regardless of their racial heritage.

He was such a powerful figure. He resonated greatness through the television. If i had a son who played basketball, i would have wanted him to be coached by John Thompson or Bobby Knight. Truly one of the greatest college coaches of all time. Great human being.
spoiler: His real children all turned out to be fantastic adults.

Advertisement
He was such a powerful figure. He resonated greatness through the television. If i had a son who played basketball, i would have wanted him to be coached by John Thompson or Bobby Knight. Truly one of the greatest college coaches of all time. Great human being.
spoiler: His real children all turned out to be fantastic adults.
Those two are very different but ok

Bobby was tough to play for. His team rules were, by any assessment, extreme. It took a certain type personality to play there due to the negative barrages thrown about at players in practice. Coaches should get excited and motivate players, but there's a line they shouldn't cross and he lived on the wrong side of it. Great basketball mind though and a tremendous teacher of fundamentals, especially defensively. Thompson could also be tough but without the personal attacks. He was his own man and stated flatly that there were plenty of other places white kids could play besides Georgetown and he was going to use his platform as head coach there to raise up inner city black kids and give them a way out of their home environments through basketball and the coveted Georgetown degree. He did recruit a handful of elite white kids, Danny Ferry and Rex Chapman come to mind, but not many and only a dozen or so were on scholarship during his decades long tenure, most of them in the early eighties when he was building the program from terrible to elite.

Back then he was a father figure to black Americans - make no mistake about that. And a much needed father figure. Come on - where are you coming from with this ****?

Your point is completely valid and you're being nitpicked here.

Countless stories about young African American men (in sports, and in life) who had to push through without a father figure—where coaches like Thompson saved their lives (literally the words Allen Iverson used when talking about him.)

Are there white kids without father figures—sure—but while this is a socioeconomic issue, it also seems to hit the black community harder than the white—hence why you made a very logical comment about the amount of young black lives he impacted through the game of basketball.

Stay positive and ignore the ****-birds.

Your point is completely valid and you're being nitpicked here.

Countless stories about young African American men (in sports, and in life) who had to push through without a father figure—where coaches like Thompson saved their lives (literally the words Allen Iverson used when talking about him.)

Are there white kids without father figures—sure—but while this is a socioeconomic issue, it also seems to hit the black community harder than the white—hence why you made a very logical comment about the amount of young black lives he impacted through the game of basketball.

Stay positive and ignore the ****-birds.
Equality.....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back