Reset offensive expectations just a bit...

BWCD

Junior
Let me reset some expectations for everyone considering 1) what we just saw on the field and (mainly) 2) the type of offense we're running. This is gonna **** some of y'all off, but whatever.

The type of offense we're running is built on high execution. It gets better and more effective with more live reps, more experience across the board. We just installed it in the Spring up thru game prep for the gator. Those aren't excuses, those are facts.

Think of it as installing software - you don't get to use the full version until it's fully installed on your machine, and if it's a brand new software to you - some of the simpler commands probably come easily, but to become a power user with it takes time...because you're learning it and becoming faster/more familiar with how you work within it. Sure - some simpler programs are more easy to learn out of the box, but they're limited in what they can do and how much they can help you get the job done.

We are still in the process of getting everyone, all 11 guys, on the same page on each play within the offense. Enos' offense will pay dividends because of all of the motion and concepts to scheme guys open - but it won't happen overnight - especially with a mostly green OL and a talented but inexperienced QB. We took what we had so far that wasn't even clicking on all cylinders and had opportunities to beat a top 10 team first game out. We saw glimpses of greatness from Jarren when we gave him time. We had some plays where we executed at a very high level and the result was a big play. As we allow these guys to grow within the offense, we will see the frequency of great plays go up.

WE AS FANS HAVE TO BE PATIENT...this offensive system with our guys getting experienced and executing at a high level WILL be worth it. If you look at the schedule, the next 4 games pretty much are opportunities for us to really start to click within this offense - we should beat UNC, B-C, CMU, and VT. By the time we get UVA at home, barring any major setbacks, we ought to be clicking pretty well within most of this offense.

Now - some of you will say "this patience/execution BS is what Richt sold us" - and I agree. The difference is Richt's offense didn't do us any favors against better teams, even when we executed well. We still had guys that had to make great individual plays to make anything happen. Enos' offense takes time to learn, BUT when it is executed well, we will see guys be "high school open" (shout out to @Roman Marciante for that observation on OBB). When the experience and execution start catching up for the OL/Jarren, expect big things - it's gonna be FUN TO WATCH. Until then, we have to be patient and let everything come together.

Advertisement
A simple question. When you have the talent we have at the skill positions, why run an O that has to be executed perfectly for it to succeed? When you have weaknesses, like we do at Tackle, you can't expect perfect execution. If you do, you get what we saw last Saturday.

Advertisement
I think most fans have patience. But patience has to be paid for with performance. If there is improvement week over week, most reasonable fans appreciate that.

But if the coaching staff turns in one **** after another and asks for patience, not happening.

I don't even expect the same degree of improvement every week. Some games it will be exponential. Others will be more incremental. But we should see the data continue to go up and to the right.

What doomed Richt and his predecessors was asking for patience and understanding without any meaningful positive returns to justify that request.

Dont ask for my patience. Earn it with performance.

A simple question. When you have the talent we have at the skill positions, why run an O that has to be executed perfectly for it to succeed? When you have weaknesses, like we do at Tackle, you can't expect perfect execution. If you do, you get what we saw last Saturday.
No offense can work without good play at the oline. You can scheme to help moderate talent. But there’s no scheme you can implement for a whole that can help what happened last night. As a play caller you never want to have to account for a oline who can’t protect. If you do then you cut your available plays in half

Advertisement
Posters on here who studied Enos' prior offenses (specifically at ARK) all indicated that this offense will have some bumps early on and likely really begin to bear fruit midway through this season. That's always been my expectation and remains the case. Perspective is a rare thing around these parts tho

No offense can work without good play at the oline. You can scheme to help moderate talent. But there’s no scheme you can implement for a whole that can help what happened last night. As a play caller you never want to have to account for a oline who can’t protect. If you do then you cut your available plays in half
And what plays can be executed when the QB is on his back? Use the TEs to help your young tackles. ****, if they just stood in the **** way for half a second it would be better than leaving the tackles on an island the way they were. You have to mask your weaknesses when they are so glaring, not ignore them and hope they will go away.

Let me reset some expectations for everyone considering 1) what we just saw on the field and (mainly) 2) the type of offense we're running. This is gonna **** some of y'all off, but whatever.

The type of offense we're running is built on high execution. It gets better and more effective with more live reps, more experience across the board. We just installed it in the Spring up thru game prep for the gator. Those aren't excuses, those are facts.

Think of it as installing software - you don't get to use the full version until it's fully installed on your machine, and if it's a brand new software to you - some of the simpler commands probably come easily, but to become a power user with it takes time...because you're learning it and becoming faster/more familiar with how you work within it. Sure - some simpler programs are more easy to learn out of the box, but they're limited in what they can do and how much they can help you get the job done.

We are still in the process of getting everyone, all 11 guys, on the same page on each play within the offense. Enos' offense will pay dividends because of all of the motion and concepts to scheme guys open - but it won't happen overnight - especially with a mostly green OL and a talented but inexperienced QB. We took what we had so far that wasn't even clicking on all cylinders and had opportunities to beat a top 10 team first game out. We saw glimpses of greatness from Jarren when we gave him time. We had some plays where we executed at a very high level and the result was a big play. As we allow these guys to grow within the offense, we will see the frequency of great plays go up.

WE AS FANS HAVE TO BE PATIENT...this offensive system with our guys getting experienced and executing at a high level WILL be worth it. If you look at the schedule, the next 4 games pretty much are opportunities for us to really start to click within this offense - we should beat UNC, B-C, CMU, and VT. By the time we get UVA at home, barring any major setbacks, we ought to be clicking pretty well within most of this offense.

Now - some of you will say "this patience/execution BS is what Richt sold us" - and I agree. The difference is Richt's offense didn't do us any favors against better teams, even when we executed well. We still had guys that had to make great individual plays to make anything happen. Enos' offense takes time to learn, BUT when it is executed well, we will see guys be "high school open" (shout out to @Roman Marciante for that observation on OBB). When the experience and execution start catching up for the OL/Jarren, expect big things - it's gonna be FUN TO WATCH. Until then, we have to be patient and let everything come together.
Amen Brother!!

Advertisement
We allowed 10 sacks
...against the best DL we'll see all year unless we see Clemson in Charlotte, and/or another top flight D in a bowl game.

I'm ****ed about giving up 10 sacks too, especially to the gator, but put it in context as it should be viewed. You had 3/5 OL making their first ever collegiate starts, and an albeit talented QB making his first collegiate start - all in a brand new offense. Experience, time, reps, coaching...all of these things can help fix that.

And what plays can be executed when the QB is on his back? Use the TEs to help your young tackles. ****, if they just stood in the **** way for half a second it would be better than leaving the tackles on an island the way they were. You have to mask your weaknesses when they are so glaring, not ignore them and hope they will go away.
No plays can be executed when your QB is on his back. That’s my point..you use your TEs to stay in and block, now your taking 2 live threats out of the play..running 3 man route concepts is easy to defend..those Tackles need to play better. Coach can’t save you all the time.

it's all gonna come down to Enos finding a way to keep JW15 upright and getting the ball out of his hands quickly. This is OL is not gonna be able to protect him on a consistent basis, simple as that.

Advertisement
I think most fans have patience. But patience has to be paid for with performance. If there is improvement week over week, most reasonable fans appreciate that.

But if the coaching staff turns in one **** after another and asks for patience, not happening.

I don't even expect the same degree of improvement every week. Some games it will be exponential. Others will be more incremental. But we should see the data continue to go up and to the right.

What doomed Richt and his predecessors was asking for patience and understanding without any meaningful positive returns to justify that request.

Dont ask for my patience. Earn it with performance.
I can agree with this post. This is perfectly reasonable, and pretty much my approach.

...against the best DL we'll see all year unless we see Clemson in Charlotte, and/or another top flight D in a bowl game.

I'm ****ed about giving up 10 sacks too, especially to the gator, but put it in context as it should be viewed. You had 3/5 OL making their first ever collegiate starts, and an albeit talented QB making his first collegiate start - all in a brand new offense. Experience, time, reps, coaching...all of these things can help fix that.
Some of those sacks were snap count issues. The gators were getting a huge jump and this will get fixed with some experience from Williams and the line.

I believe it was the early century philosopher and c0cksmith Larry Coker who said “your expectations are out of kilter.”

There was plays to be had. Bottom line no one would be complaining if Jeff Thomas makes that td catch or Brevin Jordan makes a spectacular catch at the end. Also other drops in the game in addition to at times Jarren holding the ball too long and the oline particularly the tackles getting whipped which did not allow the offense to do anything. People were definitely open but only so much you can do at the end of the day.

What needs to be fixed is after the turnovers particular in the 4th quarter we should have went for daggers and been a little more aggressive with playcalling honestly. The guys and enos will learn from it but I’m not concerned outside of our obvious tackle play and MAYBE with Jarren holding the ball too long but again it’s those guys first meaningful game and they will keep progressing throughout the season with more experience

Advertisement
Back