Replacing Bags, is Bubba up to it?

Bags was good, but inconsistentcy made him scary. Never wanted him to be called with the game in the line...onside kicks were not strong point either.

Advertisement
Biggest issue was leg strength. He wasn't consistent nor deep on kick offs. Inaccurate from 50 yards and out. Only 3 of 11 for his career. Didn't help he got the yips in his last two games. Still 78% career accuracy.

Biggest issue was leg strength. He wasn't consistent nor deep on kick offs. Inaccurate from 50 yards and out. Only 3 of 11 for his career. Didn't help he got the yips in his last two games. Still 78% career accuracy.

Definitely had the yips at the end of the season. Even with an almost 80% career accuracy rate, when a kicker gets in his head like that, it can be murder.

I think Bubba comes in ready.

An improved offense can reduce a lot of any pressure he may face during the season. He'll be fine

You won’t know a thing about Bubba until he’s asked to make a kick in front of a crowd under pressure. Any of these kids who go to kicking camps can hammer it in camp settings.

Problem with a lot of Kickers is once they fail early they can never really shake it. So we need to hope he gets off to a fast start, or the kicking game could be a huge catastrophe this year.

If I was Rick I would have tried like **** to find a grad transfer Kicker who has made kicks with the band playing.

You're exactly right. Word for word.

Our special teams as a whole concern the **** out of me. Last year we were 117th in special teams efficiency, 106th in opponent kick return average & tied for 57th in kick return average. We were 5th in punt return average. So of course we have to replace our punt returner.

Even if we ignore our coverage & return units.. Opening the season against LSU with Feagles (ugh) & a true freshman kicker is not ideal. In one of his posts Stefan even said that Baxa has the leg but struggled with accuracy.

My concern is he misses one FG or xp & it gets in his head. Just as you pointed out, some guys can't shake it. If cmr starts going for it on 4th & 6 from our opponents 25 because he doesn't trust his kicker, it'll put even more pressure on Baxa when be finally does get a chance.

I hope we read a fall camp write up praising Baxa as the the kicker who never misses. Also hope he eventually ends the season as a freshman AA who made every kick. But it all starts with LSU.

Advertisement
Almost worthless thread since it’s true about kickers, you won’t know shlt until they’ve actually kicked in a real college game. Even guys that made pressure kicks in high school, you just don’t know, college is a completely different environment, on the field and in the stands.

Also, we have several kickers to choose from, although naturally since Baxa is the scholarship kicker he’s expected to be the guy.

But non-scholarship kickers coming on to become regular kickers and even make clutch kicks? Happens all the time in college football. Very common.

View attachment 62070
Carlos Huerta one of the Canes legends walked on! I like the fact that we are giving Bubba some competition. At worst one of the walk on kickers can master long precise kickoffs and let Bubba concentrate on extra points and field goals!.

I was scared to death and hoping for a touchdown in the red zone any time we needed at least a fg. Even his makes looked iffy. Scary leg power. Kicked the **** air out of the ball on a 23 yarder.

Like why?

Advertisement
Wow 5 kickers eh? Hopefully we find the best one in the lot, and hoping it’s B.B. too. He’s got a cannon for a leg, let’s hope he’s deaf to the noise that will be coming in the first game to start of his collegiate career. And hoping it’s @25yd FG as his first shot, with the ball placed right on his favorite hash Mark too. That should give him all the confidence he needs seeing it split the uprights the 1st try.

The same week Badgley was named as a Groza semi-finalist, he started sh*tting the bed. Pretty good career up until then but missed some key kicks the last month of the season.

Who can forget all those kickoffs out of bounds when Badgely first got here? I wanted to strangle his ***.

Fall practice just started. The kid hasn't even played a CFB game.

Kicker's are different animals. Right now he needs the benefit of any doubt Cane fans may have.

CMR picked him, so evidently coach feels he'll be a good CFB kicker.

My hope is that we score often he gets those XPs, he booms his kickoffs, he gets an easy FG kick in the 1st half against LSU, so later he'll have ice in his veins should we really need him.

I want him thinking he's automatic

No need for us to introduce any doubt, Kickers do that enough on their own

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Fadgley is another gutless Golden player like Kaaya. Way too soft to play here. Thank God all those tools are gonzo.
I hate all the players Golden recruited. If only there was one in you’re avatar I could hate on...

Looks like 6 Kickers on the roster... Good competition is awesome for kickers. Everyone will push Bubba and be ready in-case they are needed.

Advertisement
Back