Remembering Hurricane Andrew

FRCane

Sophomore
Came across this article ... I was actually on campus a day or two after the storm hit. I think it was the day after "move in day" for the fall semester. I was only about 11 years old at the time, but i remember the school being in pretty bad shape. At any rate, maybe this will provide some insight as to what the players/campus will be facing in the coming days. (There's a follow up piece about repairing the campus following the hurricane)

Remembering Hurricane Andrew: 20 Years Later | News Releases | University of Miami
Remembering Hurricane Andrew: 20 Years Later

(August 30, 2012) — With suitcases unpacked and “goodbyes” to parents the only formality remaining, most of the University of Miami’s incoming freshmen and returning students had already settled into the residential colleges by the time a late August Sunday of some 20 years ago rolled around. But the start to their school year would begin like no other.
Just off the Miami coastline, Hurricane Andrew, packing 165-mile-per-hour winds, continued on a steady course toward southern Dade County, slamming into the area on August 24, 1992, like a locomotive going through cardboard.
When the storm hit on the first day of freshman orientation, it was too late for anyone to leave the UM campus. As a result, some 5,000 students, parents, and visitors rode out the hurricane in UM’s residential colleges. Some parents even remained after the storm, helping to serve food in the cafeterias, recalls Pat Whitely, UM’s vice president for student affairs, who was associate director of residence halls back then.
Whitely remembers Hurricane Andrew’s category 5 winds sounding like a freight train running through her office, where she would sleep for three weeks after the storm struck.
“It was exactly what they said it was going to look like,” she remembers. “We looked out the window, and the palm trees were leaning over, and the wind was howling, and you could hear it. We didn’t lose phone service, but we had no electricity for four or five days.”
The powerful cyclone, the first named storm of the season, devastated the southern part of the county, destroying homes, knocking out power, and causing more than $30 billion in damages.
Like most communities in the area, the Coral Gables campus didn’t escape Andrew’s destructive fury, suffering damage to the tune of almost $14 million in dozens of blown-out windows, uprooted trees, and damaged roofs.
Classes had been scheduled to start on August 28. But the University pushed back the start of the fall semester by more than two weeks, sending students home and reimbursing their travel expenses.
David Diamond, a broadcasting and political science major from Cherry Hill, New Jersey, was student body president at the time.
“After the storm, I was very eager to assist in any way that I could. But with safety being the key issue at the school, the top priority was to evacuate the students, including me, in order to secure and repair the campus,” recalls Diamond, who is now a management consultant. “I was able to get a flight from Miami to Tampa, then I drove to my home.
“It was on the drive from Coral Gables to the airport that I truly saw the amount of devastation that hit Miami,” Diamond continued. “Prior to that ride to the airport, I was as angry as a 20-year-old kid could be at the University’s decision to ‘kick me out.’ After all, I was the student body president. But after that ride, I understood exactly what the greater community was dealing with. And in retrospect, it was the right decision.”
UM reopened on September 14. But it was still a campus community in pain. More than 400 employees either lost or suffered extensive damage to their homes.
“We overcame through [then-President Tad] Foote’s and [former] Provost Luis Glaser’s leadership. They convened a group of leaders every morning at 10 a.m. at the law school, and problems were identified and solved on the spot,” Whitely said, recalling that University leaders identified a need for counseling for students and employees and turned to the medical school’s Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences for help.
“Everyone’s collective team effort helped us finish the semester,” said Whitely.

Advertisement
I stood in line at a convenience store that was letting people in one at a time. Bought a warm can of Coke for like $5 because there was no water anywhere.

The struggle is real people.

our vacation to FL ended up being during Andrew.... we rode it out in Hialeah.... no shutters or anything and ended up being fine

Advertisement
I moved to So Fl 3 months before Andrew. It was unbelievable the devastation and despair in the area. It took years to fully recover.

But I remember the Canes first game back on TV and their ran out of the tunnel to Against the Wind by bob seager. I almost cried it was so difficult. Unless you were an adult then and lost someone or something you underestimate the power of a Cat 5.

I still remember the football team holding the last week or so at Dodgertown in Vero Beach prior to the opener at Iowa...

Whitely remembers Hurricane Andrew’s category 5 winds sounding like a freight train running through her office, where she would sleep for three weeks after the storm struck.

That's exactly what I remember Andrew souding like, "a freight train".

I was going into my Sr. year at Central, was working at Wendys in Hialeah at the time. Crazy thing is, I didn't know Andrew was coming till the day of, paid absolutely no attention to the news back then. While working the grill, I noticed we kept getting crazy orders for like 10 #2 combos, 20 cheeseburgers,etc. So finally I ask the lady that was working next to me, "Why are people ordering so much food?", she gave me this incedulous look and said, "You don't know...a hurricane's coming." Anyways, we didn't get that much damage, but we did lose power for a month, we were lucky. Can't say the same for down south though, looked like they dropped a bomb in that bih, total devastation.

Prayers for everybody that might be in Irma's path.

That's exactly what I remember Andrew souding like, "a freight train".

I was going into my Sr. year at Central, was working at Wendys in Hialeah at the time. Crazy thing is, I didn't know Andrew was coming till the day of, paid absolutely no attention to the news back then. While working the grill, I noticed we kept getting crazy orders for like 10 #2 combos, 20 cheeseburgers,etc. So finally I ask the lady that was working next to me, "Why are people ordering so much food?", she gave me this incedulous look and said, "You don't know...a hurricane's coming." Anyways, we didn't get that much damage, but we did lose power for a month, we were lucky. Can't say the same for down south though, looked like they dropped a bomb in that bih, total devastation.

Prayers for everybody that might be in Irma's path.

Imagine if she never told you. "Hmm **** it's windy af today"

Advertisement
Rode Andrew out south of Dadeland mall ... **** for weeks afterwards.

Don't live in Miami anymore ... but still had tears from memories while driving by last year on the way to the Keys ... vacationing with my young boys

Last edited:
I rode out Andrew in Homestead, ground zero. **** was so messed up I didn't have time to think about Miami football. Stay safe and get out.

I rode out Andrew in Islamorada. We actually took a boat to the reef and the waves outside the reef were 100-150' swells. We went to catch food if you were wondering.

3 days later I had to drive my sick grandma to Pittsburgh. Driving up the 18 mile stretch I lost track of where I was because there was nothing in Florida City. Concrete transmission power poles 8' round were gone!!! Every building was gone leave just slabs! Every Tree was gone or only a post looking like palm tree here. It took weeks for Turkey Point to get back online and power to get turned back on in the Keys. We still played a full season of football but we didn't have a lot of south dade teams in our district.

Advertisement
I was one of those who had just moved in for freshmen orientation. My room was in Stanford on the 8th floor and they had us stay with someone on one of the lower floors. None of us had been through an hurricane before and we kept looking outside hours before Andrew arrived and noting how there was barely a breeze. Then I remember we woke up and it was crazy outside. A few minutes later we all got moved into the halls. Parents, etc. were with some students and it was so crowded some people had to sit on the floors in the bathrooms. Somehow one of the doors to the stairwell had gotten open and we each went up to the corner wall and poke our heads around it to see what was going on outside. Eventually we went back to sleep. Later that day we were anxious to go see what happened; but, they only let us go on some parts of campus. I remember no power or water and lots of sandwiches being brought in. I went to Riteaid one morning and ended up with the oddest assortment of drinks and snacks from what little stock they had. Finally we got word about the delay of classes and I went home. MIA was chaos and they announced over and over to only line up at checkin if your flight was leaving within X amount of hours. Some guy whose flight wasn't for several hours later did anyways, lost it when they wouldn't check him in, and police had to tackle/arrest him. I had told my mother that I would be home before she knew it when I left and remind her of my words when she picked me up at the airport back home. Because of the delay in beginning classes we didn't have finals week that semester.

Lived in SW Dade getting ready to start high school at Miami Sunset. 4 weeks without power, 3 weeks without running water. Looting, had bullets fly through the house2 weeks in...waited for water and bread in lines and volunteered at the Red Cross a few days. Was still better than it was in Perrine where I grew up down the street from the Cutler Ridge Library.

The shadiness of SoFLA comes out in times like this and can overwhelm stories of compassion and community. Hope things have gotten better down there now that I live in Atlanta. Keeping you guys in our prayers

I was 25 when it hit - everyone thought it would hit downtown and that it missed us.... and btw NO ONE even boarded up their windows bc of all the near misses
- I was a branch manager for a local bank got up and checked on my branch on sunset and dixie high way - it was fine
- but I couldnt go back west on sunset bc metrorail had fallen down and blocked the road
- i was forced to drive south on dixie highway towards the falls with the plan to circle around
- and every street it got worse and worse
- got back to my house in kendall and the video started coming in from homestead - just gone... and then the looting

Advertisement
I was in Hiialeah in middle school at the time.

None of the trees, stop signs, street lights, shrubbery , etc, was left standing after the storm. The only thing that was left standing was our house thank God. Lost power for about a week. Felt like Noah coming out of the ark after the flood. Very surreal.

I hope and pray everyone around here is safe and may the Lord protect you from any major loss or damage.

Advertisement
Back