Remaining Spots?

Gables Cane

Sophomore
While we all sit around hoping for changes to the coaching staff...what are your thoughts on the remaining scholarship ICs and the Portal?

First scenario - we have 3 IC 'ships left (in order of preference):
1. Portal CB (no explanation needed)
2. Portal CB (ditto)
3. HS Player - T2 or somebody else (need more attitude and toughness on the defensive side)

Second scenario - we use the 3 remaining ICs above, plus 5 additional ICs granted by the NCAA (again in order of preference):
4. Portal DE (pass rush next year looking anemic unless we blitz)
5. Portal WR (if Harley and Brevin go pro and that leaves us with just Mallory as a reliable, experienced receiving threat)
6. Portal LB (need speed and instincts at this position)
7. Portal WR (see above)
8. Portal DE/LB (need quality depth)

Thats my wish list. What say the CIS faithful?

Last edited:
Advertisement
While we all sit around hoping for changes to the coaching staff...what are your thoughts on the remaining scholarship ICs and the Portal?

2. Portal CB (ditto)
3. HS Player - T2 or somebody else (need more attitude and toughness on the defensive side)

Second scenario - we get 5 additional ICs (again in order of preference):
5. Portal WR (if Harley and Brevin go pro and that leaves us with just Mallory as a reliable, experienced receiving threat)
7. Portal WR (see above)

Sounds about right, except maybe another DT from the portal if possible.

2. Portal CB (ditto)

7. Portal WR (see above)

Portal De is part of the three

Last edited:
Got it. But, does that mean we taking just one Portal CB or no HS player (again assumes just 3 ICs left)?
As of now we have two portal spots accounted for. The thing that makes this tough is they could wait before commiting until the ic’s increase. Allowing staff to take more high school kids. I’m just not sure there’s a taker , well minus one possibility.

Advertisement
trying to figure out based on the @Cribby clues but it would seem that one spot will go to Deandre Johnson from Tennessee.

Putting my thinking cap on, I'll guess ... Marcus Jones from Houston (corner, nation's leading punt returner) could enter the portal and find his way to Miami, too?

2. Portal CB (ditto)

7. Portal WR (see above)

I've said this before, I believe we should take 3 HS kids and (whatever) number of transfers that we can take.

If we are taking 3 HS kids, I think it should be CB (obvious), LB (obvious), and OL (I don't think this year's OL signees are as good as last year's).

In the Portal, I would take (in order), CB, another CB, DE, OL, WR, another DE, LB.

If you found an amazing OL (either HS or Portal), you might not need 2. Same thing at LB. But we need the numbers at CB and DE, and we need to find a portal WR who has a skillset that our current WRs seem to lack.

I don't think we need another RB at the moment.

trying to figure out based on the @Cribby clues but it would seem that one spot will go to Deandre Johnson from Tennessee.

Putting my thinking cap on, I'll guess ... Marcus Jones from Houston (corner, nation's leading punt returner) could enter the portal and find his way to Miami, too?
Very good guess but that kid declared for the draft.

As of now we have two portal spots accounted for. The thing that makes this tough is they could wait before commiting until the ic’s increase. Allowing staff to take more high school kids. I’m just not sure there’s a taker , well minus one possibility.

If there is a "Portal IC fix" rule change in the next couple of weeks, we should have enough time to chase some HS recruits. If the fix happens in February or later, I think most of our effort would be Portal-related.

It seems like Miami (and others) are going to have to wait for one or two of those "I'd take that Portal kid with my last IC" types, which pushes some of the slightly-lesser guys to commit to craptastic schools (like F$U) now, to insure a spot.

Advertisement
Ep9NfDEW8AIcOkf

Advertisement
Advertisement
Defensively, they've gotta be ready to play yesterday. We can't let the clown show try and develop any more kids.

I've said this before, I believe we should take 3 HS kids and (whatever) number of transfers that we can take.

If we are taking 3 HS kids, I think it should be CB (obvious), LB (obvious), and OL (I don't think this year's OL signees are as good as last year's).

In the Portal, I would take (in order), CB, another CB, DE, OL, WR, another DE, LB.

If you found an amazing OL (either HS or Portal), you might not need 2. Same thing at LB. But we need the numbers at CB and DE, and we need to find a portal WR who has a skillset that our current WRs seem to lack.

I don't think we need another RB at the moment.
“ a skill set our WR’s seem to lack”......like catching the ball 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Back