Rellyrell’s Review (Class of ‘23)

Overall Class Grade: C+

Mario’s strength is supposed to be recruiting. Sure as **** ain’t game day coaching. Miami is paying him far more than they’ve ever paid a coach, given him unlimited funds for staff, facilities improvements. He has billionaires backing NIL deals. This is Mario’s bump class.

So to finish at #7, only one spot above Richt’s first full class, while Richt had none of these advantages…it’s hard to give a higher grade than just barely passing.

Sure, we had a bad season, and that probably affects the class. But whose fault is that? Mario. One failure (season and coaching hires) can’t excuse another (below expectations in recruiting).

QB: D. One 3-star kid isn’t setting us up for the future, especially when we had a good depth wb transfer out.

RB: B-. What we got is decent, but Baxter was the prize and we missed.

OL: A+. Mario crushed it here. This OL haul is elite.

WR: D. We got slot guys, but missed on every outside receiver with a pulse.

TE: A. We got some good talent here, well done.

DT: F. Complete failure. This was a position of need that went totally unaddressed, aside from one developmental kid. No immediate impact players here.

DE. A-. We got some high end talent here

CB: D-. We lost Cormani and failed to land any impact players. We did add some depth ACC level guys who can play, but nobody elite

S: F. Didn’t land anything

LB: B-. We landed some good players but nobody elite. ACC type guys.

All in all, the class was a disappointment. Mario was hired to be an elite recruiter but so far has failed to meet expectations. A lot of the things that hurt our recruiting- Gattis, Addae, the season, etc - were Mario’s doing and totally within his control.

This class is good enough to compete in the ACC, but fails to get us closer to the Alabama’s and Georgia’s of the world. We are not on track to winning championships unless recruiting significantly improves
Yall be saying ACC type guys like Acc aint usually the second group behind the sec in draft picks...and that being with alot of those "sec" guys being over drafted because the thought process of gms like some of the fans that only football is playe din the sec...thats how u get the noah igbosnahamann from auburn going first round with 5th round tape and looking like sh*t from the moment they step into the league.

On paper and film this lb group is one of the better classes we have landed in some time.
I'll give an D for safety because we landed the VA kid but its so much other guys we could have landed at safety and we kind of chilled at the position, didnt even look for depth int he portal either there.
No way is cb a d when you landed the top 3 cb in south florida in Brown....an got his brother to transfer.

DT- I think we need another portal transfer...but i liked the 1 DT they landed in Horton. I feel he is undervalued and if developed properly he can be a real player.

Its a B+ CLASS Because they swung n missed big time at WR's on the outside...depth safeties...and a 1 tech. At QB i was ho hum because got TVD back and maybe can get someone in the portal after spring for depth purposes...same to be said at DT and WR.

Advertisement
Including Transfers

QB: C
Got a high 3 star guy. Has potential. Nothing special, not horrible either. It'll be interesting to see how we choose to attack QB recruiting once TVD is gone. I've stated a few times I would much rather prefer just paying Transfer QBs to come while getting guys Like Emory out of HS - those high 3 star to 4 star guys that aren't expensive. So if we do that, years we don't land a transfer QB, we won't likely grade very high, but I don't think that should have too big of a negative impact on overall class grade if that is the route we are planning on going.
RB: A-
Really good haul. Only way it could have been better is if we got a top 3 RB in the country.
WR: B-/B
If we are just grading the actual players we brought in we are missing that true #1 WR. But if we did land that true #1 WR like ****ey this would be an A class. Joseph and Washington are legit. Plus idk why everyone acts like you need a 6'2" + WR in every class or something. Just because someone isn't 6' doesn't make them a slot guy. Most importantly these guys we got have speed. And I do still expect us to land a transfer WR, so think this grade will ultimately end up a B = Just Good.
TE: A
What you said.
OT: A+
Absolutely elite haul. Literally can't ask for more than 2 of the top 4 rated OTs. I don't expect us to be able to repeat this yearly. If Samson and Mauigoa hit, there won't be a starting OT job available for at least 3 years... which should make it harder to land those guys next year at the least.
iOL: A+
Again, elite haul, but mostly due to the transfers this time.
EDGE: A
Two borderline 5 star EDGE guys and another high 4 star guy. I mean literally the only way this gets better is if we are Bama who ridiculously landed 3 of the top 5 EDGE (and 4 of top 10!). But that isn't even an A+, that's like a A++ class...or UGA who landed 3 of top 12.
DL: C-
Horton looks like a beast tbh. Deen and Gore are both going to play DT here. Gore may be lighter than Deen, but he's only 6'. He definitely still needs to gain weight because ultimately, you need to have pure mass. But if he can get in the 280 range, he'll be fine. He'd then have a body type like Mike Daniels (13 Sacks Jr/SR yr) or Darius Stills (19.5 sacks Jr/SR yr). Lets also not act like ACC Olineman are B10/SEC Olineman... Still obviously we needed to land another 4star HS DT - or at least not lose Darrell Jackson.
LB: A-
Just a great haul. Only a handful of schools had a better 2 person haul than Bryant + Aguirre. And then you add Bobby Washington who is criminally underrated... Mauigoa gunna get heavy PT too obviously.
CB: B+
Damari & Davante Brown, Terry Roberts, and Stafford is a quality haul for us. If we would have landed Cormani it would have been Elite haul. But as it stands we got 2 heavy rotation guys immediately, and 2 really high quality HS guys. That's a great class.
S: B-
The guy we got was pretty **** good at least. I mean realistically the best class we could have hoped for was probably like Aguerro and Jackson... so it's not like this was some bumm haul. We needed 2 guys. We only got 1. But that doesn't automatically make this a terrible grade.

Overall Class grade = That slice right in between A-/B+. Lots of room to improve, but as a whole a great class. I'm really not trippin about QB recruiting, which really can change this grade a lot for some people. But ultimately we are talkin the difference in this being an Easy A grade is us hitting on a top WR, and either/or Keeping Cormani or landing a top DT...
On the bolded:
22 draft
1 – 6th, Ikem Ekwonu, OL, NC State, Carolina Panthers
1 – 17th, Zion Johnson, OL, Boston College, Los Angeles Chargers

21 draft
23- Christian Darrasaw, OL, VA TECH

20 draft
11th pick - NY Jets select Mekhi Becton, OT, from Louisville
19 draft
1, Christopher Lindstrom Boston College, Pk 14, ATL
Round 1 • Pick 18 (18) Garret Bradbury, NC STATE

Dont be fooled. The ACC produces a good bit of first rd draft pick ol.

On the bolded:
22 draft
1 – 6th, Ikem Ekwonu, OL, NC State, Carolina Panthers
1 – 17th, Zion Johnson, OL, Boston College, Los Angeles Chargers

21 draft
23- Christian Darrasaw, OL, VA TECH

20 draft
11th pick - NY Jets select Mekhi Becton, OT, from Louisville
19 draft
1, Christopher Lindstrom Boston College, Pk 14, ATL
Round 1 • Pick 18 (18) Garret Bradbury, NC STATE

Dont be fooled. The ACC produces a good bit of first rd draft pick ol.
Yes. But as a whole they aren’t the same size wise at all. That was my real point since I was talking about how “undersized” the two transfer DTs are.

Yes. But as a whole they aren’t the same size wise at all. That was my real point since I was talking about how “undersized” the two transfer DTs are.
Got ya..yea size wise they definately recruit bigger units.

Skill wise acc puts up some regular dogs in there..kind of have to with the type of qbs that come out of the acc. Great pass pro guys

Got ya..yea size wise they definately recruit bigger units.

Skill wise acc puts up some regular dogs in there..kind of have to with the type of qbs that come out of the acc. Great pass pro guys
Yeah I agree. I haven't actually looked into it, but I feel like the ACC likely produces more OTs than iOL guys, while the B10 maybe the opposite..

Advertisement
Yeah I agree. I haven't actually looked into it, but I feel like the ACC likely produces more OTs than iOL guys, while the B10 maybe the opposite..
That is true. Its because the conference has been producing 1st rd qbs for awhile....so their protection is needed. BIG 10 and SEC have those interior guys by the boat load. Another interesting thing is the schools that are sending 1st rd ol...its like the Boston Colleges, Pitts, Nc States of the world not even the top dogs in conference. Clemson doesnt have those guys and they have ran the conference for over a decade.

If Pitt and BC offer a OL i kinda would trail that ....well b4 Mario came aboard. You could have been respectable just by doing that.

How you giving a c plus at qb ? The one we isn’t ready to contribute . I give us D minus we need to after an elite qb every year i

How you giving a c plus at qb ? The one we isn’t ready to contribute . I give us D minus we need to after an elite qb every year i
An Elite QB apparently could cost $3.5M/yr based on Rashada deal lol. Now do that every year and we are essentially throwing $3M down the drain because only one guy can start at a time, and if that guy starts early he will be a multi-yr starter. That’s not a smart way to allocate our resources if it’s going to cost even half as much….

We have definitely lost some of our brilliance with the Rashasa, McClain and Jackson defections. Personally, I'm relieved about Rashada, felt he was overrated and wanted to use the money in the portal anyway. But because of the coordinator and staff churn problems, we've been way too quite in the portal lately. Losing the big NGs and being frozen at wide receiver has been hard to swallow, and now we're desperately thin at DB, especially S, on top of the other gaps.

Mario has his work cut out for him between now and June, needs to get that **** OC hired, settle his position coaches, and get cracking in the portal!!!

Advertisement
An Elite QB apparently could cost $3.5M/yr based on Rashada deal lol. Now do that every year and we are essentially throwing $3M down the drain because only one guy can start at a time, and if that guy starts early he will be a multi-yr starter. That’s not a smart way to allocate our resources if it’s going to cost even half as much….
Forgot about deals

Forgot about deals
I fully expect QB recruiting to be C’s and then every other yr or two we will hopefully hit an A/A+ by getting either the top portal guy or a top 2/3 QB who is an immediate starter type.

Otherwise just add that cheap low 4star type with a lot of Potential that maybe ends up growing into a starter in the future. Guys like Emory/Jacurri who don’t command >$100K/yr and will stick around for 2 yrs before you even question whether they’ll transfer…

Advertisement
Back