Rumor Relegation

Advertisement
24 is a small number for 3 tiers. I suppose it could be a starting point though. I'd also be in favor of 2 dropping down, 2 up, and not just 1. I wonder how the television networks would see it, monetarily.

It works in soccer (I've always loved the format), but would it work for football? I don't know, but the higher the tier, the higher the payout. It would make for some interesting viewing at the end of the season on what would normally be absolutely meaningless games.

Every so often I think of the recent ACC expansion adding Stanford, Cal and SMU. I get sick thinking of a system where two schools now got to travel 6000 miles round trip to play conference rivals. This is nuts.

Rub some tussum on it

Advertisement
If you could guarantee the top tier being a power conference with an automatic tie in to the playoff, this may be the most entertaining setup in American sports. I think it's an awesome idea.

And if I was the SEC or the BIG10 I would be all for it as well. I don't think it's beneficial to let 80 college football teams erode into irrelevancy for the popularity of your sport. Viewers are tied to their universities and watch football because their university is part of the ethos, even if they're not good. There's risk of losing a lot of eyes if people's schools get kicked to the curb. This is a great way to keep them involved with minimal impact.

ERsxQhkCGqp2XK3UIR.gif

Zero chance it happens across the board as I cannot see the Vandy's of the world opening themselves up to losing a bunch of SEC money just to help a G5 school get moved up to P5. The PAC-2 and G5 proposal may work because it is really only 2 P5 schools who likely would think of the themselves as able to stay out of the bottom 2 and therefore never be relegated. Therefore, it ends up being an chance for G5 schools to move up or down only.

Advertisement
Rich Eisen has been talking about promotion and relegation "soccer style" College football Conference realignments for a while now.
Mostly in the context of a Super League with the best teams in the country.

This PAC proposal would probably be a stepping stone to that. Or at least an experiment that if it works will be adopted all over. But if it fails it probably fails miserably.
Not sure it will work in the USA but it is cool to talk about.

Will it be TV that forces changes? IDK if those changes will look like the above plan but at some point, a network may ask why they are paying a Vandy or Mizzou $$$$$ and may want to separate out UGA, Alabaga, L$U for the top paid for TV schools?

Are we going to see every man for himself and the dissolution of conferences?

Zero chance it happens across the board as I cannot see the Vandy's of the world opening themselves up to losing a bunch of SEC money just to help a G5 school get moved up to P5. The PAC-2 and G5 proposal may work because it is really only 2 P5 schools who likely would think of the themselves as able to stay out of the bottom 2 and therefore never be relegated. Therefore, it ends up being an chance for G5 schools to move up or down only.

The BIG10 or SEC would never participate in this. Nor would the ACC if it survives (unlikely). They would be locked in to their schools. This idea is trying to collect the remaining teams, out of the current 130, that would otherwise be left out in a creative way.

If the BIG10 and SEC expand to, let's say, 24 teams each and the BIG12 raids the ACC when it collapses to expand to a similar number...That's roughly 70 teams. Well, in the example from the tweet, the "PAC10" would collect 30 of the remaining teams and another conference would be created to collect the rest.

12 Team Playoff
SEC - 24 teams - 3 guaranteed playoff tie ins
BIG10 - 24 teams - 3 guaranteed playoff tie ins
BIG12 - 22 teams - 1 guaranteed playoff tie ins
PAC10 - 30 tiered teams - Top tier guaranteed 1 playoff tie in
"Last conference" - 30 tiered teams - Top tier guaranteed 1 playoff tie in
3 at large playoff tie ins

That solves a lot of the problems with super conferences.

I also think it would help if there were guaranteed matchups in the regular season amongst the SEC/BIG10/BIG12 and the two tiered conferences. I don't think you can disconnect them until the playoffs.

Advertisement
Back