Reggie Sutton

CanesFam17

Freshman
Bruce Feldman mentioned he spent time with Alonzo Highsmith and Alonzo was saying that Sutton was the greatest Non-Jerome Brown player Miami had in the 80's. Can anyone fill me in on some of the details here.

Advertisement
BACK FROM DISGRACE : Cornerback Reggie Sutton Has Made a Lot of Mistakes, but Now He's a Saint
November 07, 1987|GENE WOJCIECHOWSKI | Times Staff Writer

Email

Now you see Reggie Sutton: Boston College vs. Miami at the Orange Bowl. National television. Doug Flutie lets loose with the Hail Mary pass. Sutton and a cast of Miami thousands mis-time their jumps. Touchdown. Miami loses.

Now you don't: Sutton, once described by coaches as the team's best athlete, is dismissed from school shortly after Miami's loss to UCLA in the 1985 Fiesta Bowl. Poor grades are the official reason. Rumors of drug use are the unofficial explanation.

From there, it's an eight-month free fall to reality, complete with a bout of severe marijuana dependency, a desperate stint as a hospital worker, a legal battle to gain eligibility for the 1986 National Football League draft and a lonely stay at a drug rehabilitation center.

And for what?

"Oct. 9, 1986," Sutton said. "I remember that. That's the day I signed with the Saints."

So now you see him again: New Orleans cornerback. Tied for the conference lead with four interceptions. Three blocked punts, one returned for a touchdown--against the Rams. Budding family man. At last check, clean as a whistle.

I was born in 74 but if you talk to old timers who followed the program closely, they'll tell you that Reggie Sutton was pound for pound regarded as the best athlete on that team.

Advertisement
I was born in 74 but if you talk to old timers who followed the program closely, they'll tell you that Reggie Sutton was pound for pound regarded as the best athlete on that team.

Sutton, Eddie Brown,,,,, both two of our greats from back then that don't get too much mention these days.

Incredible talent. Didn't come close to living up to the talent because of off field issues.

I agreed with that assessment. Guys like him Fred Marion, Ronnie Lippett don't enough credit for laying the foundation for Miami championship runs.

I graduated from UM in "84 and my last game as a student was the championship game against Nebraska. Reggie Sutton was a freshman starter that year in the secondary and arguably the best player on that defense. The two leaders were Tony Fitzpatrick at nose tackle and the heart of that team. He was maybe 5'10" and 260 but was an absolute mad dog in that interior line along with Kevin ***an. Then there was the middle linebacker Jay Brophy who was drafted by the Phins that year I think and played a few years in the league but nobody had the talent of Sutton. He was athletic, fast, rangy and smooth. Had all the attributes of a great corner and arguably one of the best to ever play at UM just couldn't keep it together so he left and I guess disappeared, but **** that kid could play.

Advertisement
Meet Reggie when I was about 10... came to
My church in Carver Ranches.... Throwback for real!

I graduated from UM in "84 and my last game as a student was the championship game against Nebraska. Reggie Sutton was a freshman starter that year in the secondary and arguably the best player on that defense. The two leaders were Tony Fitzpatrick at nose tackle and the heart of that team. He was maybe 5'10" and 260 but was an absolute mad dog in that interior line along with Kevin ***an. Then there was the middle linebacker Jay Brophy who was drafted by the Phins that year I think and played a few years in the league but nobody had the talent of Sutton. He was athletic, fast, rangy and smooth. Had all the attributes of a great corner and arguably one of the best to ever play at UM just couldn't keep it together so he left and I guess disappeared, but **** that kid could play.

Reggie and Rodney Bellinger making plays at the corner and on other side of LOS with quickness NE had not seen before was a nightmare for the Huskers. NE had one of greatest offenses ever that year and our defense never got enough credit for holding them. Our offense was the "hot" topic as Howard reinvented college offense but that defense was a precursor to what JJ would do once he installed the 4-3 and destroyed the option. I remember Reggie always looked like the Flash when he move.

Advertisement
I agreed with that assessment. Guys like him Fred Marion, Ronnie Lippett don't enough credit for laying the foundation for Miami championship runs.

Marion was outstanding safety in the class of our greats. He was a coach on the field and could have fought for snaps with Blades, Reed, and ST, not saying he would bench any of them but he would not ride the pine for 60 minutes watching them.

Sutton, Eddie Brown,,,,, both two of our greats from back then that don't get too much mention these days.

The greatest thing about being a Cane is that we have had some many greats that guy like Brown actually get forgotten. He was the receiver the invented modern college WR was going to be. So fast. And to think he started as DB but the talent was so deep, Howard could moved him WR. To me The Stork is still the greatest ever Cane but the fact that there are some many others deserving of the title just give me chills. What a team we support.

I graduated from CGHS in '83, and played FB as a LB there as well. Pretty sure Reggie was at Killian. We had a pretty good season, went 8-2, lost to Southridge 3-0, then got smoked by Killian 33-0. Beat Palmetto 10-7 (with Kelly Ziegler - TN and George Mira Jr) and South Miami.

IMO, that '83 class was the beginning of the dynasty - Moss, Highsmith, Sutton, etc. Reggie was a flat out stud. Was proud to play with and against those guys.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Went to Killian with Reggie, we had math together our senior year, he basically passed every math test by looking over at my work, which I gladly slid his way. He was a nice guy in High School, but my heart broke that day in the Orange Bowl when he misplayed that Flutie pass and still hurts every time I have to see that stupid replay.

Eddie Brown Was apart of the greatest quested of wr's to ever be on a team at one time. Eddie Brown, Michael Irvin, Brain Blades and Brett Perryman. All 4 had at least 1 1000 years receiving season and played in at least 1 pro bowl. Unmatched quartet.

Fred Marion continued a Hurricane safety lineage started by Burgess Owens that is only matched By USC in terms of talent put into the NFL. Daryl Williams is another Hurricane S that get's over looked but was a great player.

Miami's DT bloodline is unmatched in all of cfb by a wide margin.

I graduated from CGHS in '83, and played FB as a LB there as well. Pretty sure Reggie was at Killian. We had a pretty good season, went 8-2, lost to Southridge 3-0, then got smoked by Killian 33-0. Beat Palmetto 10-7 (with Kelly Ziegler - TN and George Mira Jr) and South Miami.

IMO, that '83 class was the beginning of the dynasty - Moss, Highsmith, Sutton, etc. Reggie was a flat out stud. Was proud to play with and against those guys.

Yep Reggie went to Killian. He's from Richmond Heights. I played on the same football team his younger brother Robert Sutton. It's funny because it was when I fell in love with UM in 83'... going to all of the home games that year. Reggie was an excellent talent; let's just say drugs held him back from being great.

Ronnie lippet is from my hometown and one of 2 players to go to Miami from Sebring. Heard he was a beast in those days. Stole the principals golf cart and got it stuck in the orange groves and almost lost his shot. Crazy story.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back