Reggie Johnson is a total and utter nonfactor...

Something will come out after the season is over. There's no way he forgot how to play basketball in one off-season, compared to what he was before.

Agree 100%. First of all, he has never been a "low effort" guy before. It makes no sense that suddenly with a few games left in his career here, on by far the best team he has played on here, he would stop trying. The guy is hurt. The decision Larranaga needs to make is whether a hurt Reggie is a net positive or net negative. Against Duke and GT he was clearly a negative...to the point that we may have won both of those games if he simply didn't play at all.

P.S. From what I saw last night, Reggie should sit until the NCAAT.

Agree with all of this and said it myself two weeks ago, there is something seriously wrong with him. What, we dont know, but something isnt right.

I'm sure Coach L knows, and what is puzzling to me is why he keeps playing him when he's obviously a liability. Maybe it's the kind of injury you need to play through? I don't know.

My thought on the matter is that the coaches know the team better than we do, so whoever we clamor for, there is a reason those guys arent out there. I've rarely seen a larger liability on the court when it appears there are better options on the bench. It's puzzling for sure.

Pun intended?

Advertisement
Agree 100%. First of all, he has never been a "low effort" guy before. It makes no sense that suddenly with a few games left in his career here, on by far the best team he has played on here, he would stop trying. The guy is hurt. The decision Larranaga needs to make is whether a hurt Reggie is a net positive or net negative. Against Duke and GT he was clearly a negative...to the point that we may have won both of those games if he simply didn't play at all.

P.S. From what I saw last night, Reggie should sit until the NCAAT.

Agree with all of this and said it myself two weeks ago, there is something seriously wrong with him. What, we dont know, but something isnt right.

I'm sure Coach L knows, and what is puzzling to me is why he keeps playing him when he's obviously a liability. Maybe it's the kind of injury you need to play through? I don't know.

My thought on the matter is that the coaches know the team better than we do, so whoever we clamor for, there is a reason those guys arent out there. I've rarely seen a larger liability on the court when it appears there are better options on the bench. It's puzzling for sure.

Pun intended?

Happy Coincidence.

Reggie has to be hurt, that is the only possible reason why he is playing this awfully. He was pretty terrific before he got injured, then came back and had some decent games. But recently, especially the Duke and GT game, wow, really tough to believe his level of play.

He has maybe 2 inches of vertical. He cannot play defense, he cannot help on defense, he cannot jump, he cannot rebound, he cannot score. But, it's like he hustles up and down the floor, you see him calling out screens and such on defense, he certainly plays with emotion, but when it comes down to it, he should not play a minute for us, he is that terrible.

Stat line last night: 15 min, 1-4 FG, 2 pts, 1 board, 2 fouls, 3 turnovers. I watched him very closely throughout the game, especially on defense, and when he was in, he had to cost the team at least 6 or 8 points.

Gamble, Swoope and Jekiri should take his place, but we all know that if we really are going to do something special in the tournament, we need to get him going and that is why I believe Coach L keeps going with him. We need him down the stretch.

The difference between Gamble and Reggie playing D on someone in the post is enormous, I see Gamble as one of the top big men on the defensive side of the ball in the ACC. Swoope had 2 huge boards in the limited minutes he played against Duke and he could easily replace RJ's production. It seems everyone else on here is as high on Jekiri as I am.

Reggie has to be hurt, that is the only possible reason why he is playing this awfully. He was pretty terrific before he got injured, then came back and had some decent games. But recently, especially the Duke and GT game, wow, really tough to believe his level of play.

He has maybe 2 inches of vertical. He cannot play defense, he cannot help on defense, he cannot jump, he cannot rebound, he cannot score. But, it's like he hustles up and down the floor, you see him calling out screens and such on defense, he certainly plays with emotion, but when it comes down to it, he should not play a minute for us, he is that terrible.

Stat line last night: 15 min, 1-4 FG, 2 pts, 1 board, 2 fouls, 3 turnovers. I watched him very closely throughout the game, especially on defense, and when he was in, he had to cost the team at least 6 or 8 points.

Gamble, Swoope and Jekiri should take his place, but we all know that if we really are going to do something special in the tournament, we need to get him going and that is why I believe Coach L keeps going with him. We need him down the stretch.

The difference between Gamble and Reggie playing D on someone in the post is enormous, I see Gamble as one of the top big men on the defensive side of the ball in the ACC. Swoope had 2 huge boards in the limited minutes he played against Duke and he could easily replace RJ's production. It seems everyone else on here is as high on Jekiri as I am.

I think that the part I bolded says it all about why Coach L is trying to stick with Reggie. The truth is, we have 2 bigs that have real offensive skill, Kadji and Reggie. Gamble has certainly improved, but a healthy Reggie is in a completely different class offensively than Gamble. Jekiri right now is a guy that gets by offensively on his athleticism and garbage putbacks. For us to win close tournament games, we're going to have to be able to throw the ball into the post and get points. Kadji certainly has that ability, and should post up more, but he plays on the perimeter alot. Reggie has the skill in the post to get easy points, draw fouls, require the other team to double, opening shots for everyone else. Unfortunately, he's just not doing so right now, and is instead costing us points with his turnovers and his immobility on the defensive side. I don't know what's up with him, but I think Coach L is trying to not lose him, and is trying to show confidence in him. We'll see if Reggie can snap out of it, but we're a significantly more dangerous team when Reggie can give us something offensively.

Advertisement
Reggie is quitting. Fear of success? Butthurt at being replaced as a starter? Unfortunately, he's showing all the signs of wilting under the pressure of competition and expectations.

Advertisement
Back