Redwine

scrantoncane

Sophomore
Got exposed pretty bad last night. Seemed like every time I looked up he was getting beat.

I haven't watched UNC or VaTech this year. I know UNC has Switzer, but otherwise how is the WR core on each of these teams? Are we susceptible to getting beat in the secondary?

**side note: our DL is legit and obviously that helps mask secondary deficiencies, to a certain extent**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
He was always a step behind his receiver. ALWAYS.

Although I'll give props to our DL and LBs, our secondary didn't help much if at all.

Corn will get the opposing teams best reciever, Jaquan the best slot. VT only has Isaih Ford and Buck Hodges the TE. UNC and ND are pretty much the only teams left that pose a treath to the secondary

I believe Jenkins is out for the first half against UNC for targeting in the 2nd half. That's not good.

Advertisement
Advertisement
His lack of foot speed hurts him. Tough guy. Good player. But he just doesn't run well enough. He'll get better as he becomes more of a technician which is what you need to be when you run like he runs.

Expect UNC to abuse our pass D. ND probably will too but to a lesser extent because they don't have the RBs UNC does to keep us honest. VT will have success throwing too.

Watch out for Pitt's offense. They have a new coordinator, and he's installed a very diverse offense that uses a ton of motion and deception. Peterman is a good QB too.

Imo redwine is a natural S....maybe that's where he ends up next year

Last edited:
His lack of foot speed hurts him. Tough guy. Good player. But he just doesn't run well enough. He'll get better as he becomes more of a technician which is what you need to be when you run like he runs.

Expect UNC to abuse our pass D. ND probably will too but to a lesser extent because they don't have the RBs UNC does to keep us honest. VT will have success throwing too.

Watch out for Pitt's offense. They have a new coordinator, and he's installed a very diverse offense that uses a ton of motion and deception. Peterman is a good QB too.

Abuse is a strong word considering our ability to rush the passer. Always the equalizer. UNCs pass game isn't too much better then FSUs IMO.

Advertisement
Redwine got exposed badly again.

The way our D is playing, fast and downhill, means our corners are going to be on an island fairly often. I just don't think Redwine is ready to get it done.

There also seems to be a lot of miscommunication in the secondary. On one long pass play (may have even went for a TD), it looked like cover 2 but the safety was no where near in position to help.

I have a feeling we will see this defense get exposed as the year goes on.

Advertisement

The way our D is playing, fast and downhill, means our corners are going to be on an island fairly often. I just don't think Redwine is ready to get it done.

There also seems to be a lot of miscommunication in the secondary. On one long pass play (may have even went for a TD), it looked like cover 2 but the safety was no where near in position to help.

Was thinking about that play specifically this morning. Anyone have a read on what happened? Who was supposed to be giving him help, and where on earth were they?

In general, Redwine is what Chise said above. He's a step or two behind every WR with a pulse.

I honestly don't expect the D to get much worse than they did on Saturday. The holds were egregious and never called, and yet the UNC could only really capitalize on broken plays and when the O played smash face football with itself and got off the grass like it was physically injuring them. No one has imposed their will on the D yet for 2 solid halves, and the UNC matchup really should've produced better results for their O.

I feel like the bigger issue is that with the threat of the receivers we've played the past 2 weeks Diaz has reverted to off man coverage. We were only beat deep on busted zone coverages but with playing off like we have and not getting DL pressure our DBs are exposed to anything within 10 yards. Both Refwine and Coldbert were tormented by off man. I think getting back to press man coverage will fix the issues we've seen. Ok maybe not for Refwine but in general.

I honestly don't expect the D to get much worse than they did on Saturday.[/QUOTE

There's real film for opposing DCs to evaluate against real opponents now. Did you notice the several perfectly timed WR screens against our all out blitz that UNC ran?

LBs in coverage worry me. Secondary in general worries me.

I think we were able to mask a lot of deficiencies by playing weaker opponents to start the season. Now we are starting to see them exposed more. I hope I'm wrong, but I see the trend continuing.

Scariest part is, last 2 years our D was obviously horrible, but we were slinging it around and out scoring teams to beat them. Don't see that happening without a major change in philosophy from Richt.

In this scheme..Diaz giveth and Diaz taketh away..I think this was talked about at length when we hired Diaz that we would give up 1-2 big plays a game because of how aggressive it is and how our DBs will have to be on an island and if someone phucks up we will get beat for a big play. So for some reason I dont get surprised when it happens.

Redwine isnt a shutdown corner so he will make a few mistakes per game. That is what it is. The 2 games that scare me regarding this Pass Defense are ND and Duke. Those two passing offenses could make guys like Redwine look really bad if he doesnt tighten up.

Advertisement
Back