Recruiting Recognition 9-16

I still don't understand why an offer from a dirty *** $ec school validates any doubts on a recruit. AG and staff has proven that he/they know who can play. And in the future, all doubts will cease.

Nonetheless, great write-up!

Back in the day, when I had the rare opportunity to discuss recruits with the late Bob Karmelowicz, then our DL coach, he would discuss some unheralded recruit by mentioning the other visits the kid had. The coaching staff didn't recruit a kid by the quality of schools he was invited to, but it was clear the coaches felt validated when SEC powerhouses or FSU were also interested. In particular, there was one DE we were looking at from the south side of Dade. I can't remember who it was, but I think he ended up at the U. I want to think it was Baraka Short but that might not be right. Come to think of it, I believe it was David Holliman, who never did anything at UM, as I recall. So, everybody was probably wrong.

Check out this old article, and look at how some of these guys are ranked:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1990-02-15/sports/9001240676_1_defensive-front-seven-defensive-line-corwin-francis

It would have been the '90 recruiting class, one that I did not like as much as some of my friends did, who also followed recruiting very closely, and they were, yes, "insiders." Had a great deal of contact with the coaches, one big talker was Kehoe, as I remember.

Interestingly, I ran into Corries Hardy up here in Maryland. He's running a barbecue food truck and catering business. I guess he's been doing well enough to leave his job with the county. Ries was highly recruited I think, tripped to Alabama, and ended up finishing his career at UCF because he was not getting time at the U, not with Kenny Holmes, Kenard Lang and Rusty Medearis in a rotation.

I remember that class. Erickson actually did chase the star system and ended up with plan band c's (This class). He learned his lesson and got better at it.

Advertisement
Quick Update, 2016 DL and last years max preps national freshman of the year, Nick Bosa will be out Friday against miramar with a torn labrum. This is a blow to the St Thomas DL, but they have enough fire power with Moten and Boca high transfer Colton Lynn to anchor the unit.

@UnderwoodSports: Here at Aquinas for tonight Miramar-STA game coaches from USF, SCarolina, and 2 UM coaches ( D’onofrio and H. Brown) on hand.

Advertisement
I wasn't able to make it out to sta-miramar game but D$ was there and will probably post his thoughts later today or tomorrow. I did hear Peete caught a td & cole was lockdown for most of the night. Heard he came up clutch. Also heard Eric pitman (2014 RB) #4 for miramar played really well and is continuing on his good senior season. Should pick up more interest soon.

Advertisement
Back