Recruiting Rankings are Garbage

I can appreciate your sarcasm of me presenting 100% fact. However, what I present is an opinion based on the numbers that these recruiting services provide. I applied simple mathematical logic to what they present. I didn't make up the numbers. I simply applied logic to it. You can disagree with me, just don't insult my intelligence in the process.

So what about this number. 7.4% of 3 stars are drafted. 7.2% of Florida 3 stars are drafted. I never insulted your intelligence.

Advertisement
So what about this number. 7.4% of 3 stars are drafted. 7.2% of Florida 3 stars are drafted. I never insulted your intelligence.
That's anododal. How many player's are labeled "3-stars" vs all other players? Only 1% of all college athletes go into play pro sports. I'm not saying every kid that is 3-star isn't a 3-star. I'm saying their process is flawed

LOL @ people taking this **** that seriously.

Someone tell Broke Jr. his daddy has this covered.

They're not garbage but they are flawed. I'm driving the bus into the "Evaluation Station" - the rankings are a starting point, not an ending point, in describing a kid's transition from HS to college.
I agree at a starting point, but it's all over the map. Look at a kid like Josh Sanguinetti. Was a top rated prospect at the end of the season and has now fallen significantly in ranking. This is all in the "off season."

What I am also pointing out that in arguably the #1 state for football recruiting, that to be the 65th best player in this state, means 3rd ot 4th best at your position, but are 35th best at your position in the nation, doesn't add up. Not when football is played at such a high level here

Advertisement
That's anododal. How many player's are labeled "3-stars" vs all other players? Only 1% of all college athletes go into play pro sports. I'm not saying every kid that is 3-star isn't a 3-star. I'm saying their process is flawed

Are you kidding? That is the opposite of anecdotal. What you stated earlier about look at Garvin and look at so and so. That is anecdotal. This is a fact. The point is if you look at statistics 3 stars from other states actually have a better chance of getting drafted then one from Florida. Also, 5 stars have an 80+% chance of getting drafted. If landing Florida 3 stars was such a recipe for success then FAU would be an elite team because they lock up the most Florida 3 stars in the nation.

I agree at a starting point, but it's all over the map. Look at a kid like Josh Sanguinetti. Was a top rated prospect at the end of the season and has now fallen significantly in ranking. This is all in the "off season."

What I am also pointing out that in arguably the #1 state for football recruiting, that to be the 65th best player in this state, means 3rd ot 4th best at your position, but are 35th best at your position in the nation, doesn't add up. Not when football is played at such a high level here

So do you think Kevaris Thomas, the 4th best QB in Florida should be rated higher as well since he is the 4th best QB in Florida.

The problem is there are not just 1 or 2 outliers, there are always a lot.

The article could have just said to have a decent chance of winning the national title you have to recruit like Alabama (#1 class every year).

And recruiting rankings have only been around 20 years, so again, acting like it's been this way for the past 100 is just laughable. And even then, just look at our own history. The best string of classes we had was during Coker's tenure, and those 5* and high 4* players ended up sliding us to mediocrity.

It seems you are obssessed with the national title as the only barometer of success. But there is a ton a space between a national title and going 6-6. Recruiting rankings do an okay job of predicting that success, but they're far from being gospel

All the article is stating is you need to recruit at an elite level to win a national title. All I am stating is it makes sense, as a fan, to want your team to recruit at an elite level for this reason. It is not a lot deeper than this. And it is a completely reasonable position based on this evidence.

No one is reading the gospel. No one is taking about 100 years. No one is obsessed. You're arguing against a figment of your imagination.

I’ll take the coaches evals over recruiting ranking any day. Coaches see kids in camps or during games and decide how they can fit in their schemes. Sometimes you miss on an evil bit the coaches we have right now have been doing a very good job so far.

Advertisement
Because only schools like Bama and UGA can load up teams with straight 4 and 5 stars. 3 stars nationally have a 7.4% chance of getting drafted. Florida 3 stars have a 7.2% chance so if anything they are over ranked according to the stats.
ok, let's identify that 7.2% and win some titles. That's 7-8 NFL talent per 100 3*. Give me those 3*, fau can have the rest.

ok, let's identify that 7.2% and win some titles. That's 7-8 NFL talent per 100 3*. Give me those 3*, fau can have the rest.

And 85 nfl talent per 100 5*. I would rather take the chance with the 5 stars. No one is good enough to evaluate the 3 stars well enough to win a championship like that.

And 85 nfl talent per 100 5*. I would rather take the chance with the 5 stars. No one is good enough to evaluate the 3 stars well enough to win a championship like that.
Didn't say fill the roster, just saying I trust the staff to know a 3* that's under ranked and a 4-5* that's over ranked.

Your stats say there's 7 gems per 100. Don't you hope we identify those? Why rely only on rankings?

I mean I tend to agree in the moment. But over the past 8 years or so, for the most part, after college you see that there are roughly the same if not more Miami signees that are overrated than underrated. For example Joe Yearby who was #45 nationally and was never even drafted. Chick who is doing pretty good now and I love, but he was the #25 rated player but did not play like that in college. There is a guy like that for every david Njoku we have had.

There are also guys that many think are underrated by the recruiting sites, which you would see the same thread 4 years ago, that turn out to be their rating, for example Gray.

Now, that is really changing because of our new coaching staff and development. Guys like Joe Jackson and Garvin might have played to their 3/4 star rankings with Golden, but with proper coaching they have shown they should of been 5 stars. So there are a lot of factors going into it not just rankings or where the player is from.

Advertisement
I would even be willing to bet that a high % of our 3* recruits get drafted...well more than your 7.2 you posted.

It will be interesting to look back in a few years.

Didn't say fill the roster, just saying I trust the staff to know a 3* that's under ranked and a 4-5* that's over ranked.

Your stats say there's 7 gems per 100. Don't you hope we identify those? Why rely only on rankings?

That was not what was being debated. I was arguing with this poster who thinks that florida 3 stars are somehow superior to 3 stars from other states. I hope we reach a point where we are getting mainly 5 and 4 stars with a few 3 stars a season. I believe our coaches can find some diamonds in the rough. Why don't we go after the unranked guys like Josh Allen?

This is bull****. The star rankings is pretty accurate, but not perfect. Just look at the statistics of 5 stars getting drafted high, vs 4 stars, vs 3 stars. In addition they don't have a limit of number of 4 and 5 stars by state. They don't say well Florida has to many 4 stars so we will give him 3 stars.
They say to each other, “If we give every kid in Florida a 5th star based on talent, we won’t sell any recruiting crap in Ohio.”

Advertisement
I would even be willing to bet that a high % of our 3* recruits get drafted...well more than your 7.2 you posted.

Well you would be incorrect. If you look at the draft classes from 2007-2015(I chose the classes that everyone has graduated already). We had 7 3 stars drafted and recruited 113 3 stars. This would mean 6.2% of our 3 stars where drafted.

Well you would be incorrect. If you look at the draft classes from 2007-2015(I chose the classes that everyone has graduated already). We had 7 3 stars drafted and recruited 113 3 stars. This would mean 6.2% of our 3 stars where drafted.
Lol, I'm not surprised with that staff. I'm talking this staff.

Not all 3* are equal, not all staff's are equal.

Of course there’s individual deviations and exceptions, but, on the aggregate, crooting rankings are highly predictive of team success. Zero idea why this is still debated.

Advertisement
Back